Poolees! SO You Wanna Be A Marine? Heres The Best Advice You'll Get. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by teufelmonteur View Post
    I prefer a sock and an orange. Doesn't leave bruises!
    And you get a healthy snack when you're done!

Quote Originally Posted by ImpatientPoolee View Post
    We understand you're a young kid, and a wannabe. We understand you want to join and it makes you feel good to escape the pressures of reality by coming onto this website designated for Marines, young men/women who have enlisted and WILL be Marines shortly, and friends of Marines.

Quit kidding yourself, we're not idiots. Quit degregading all the Marines who have earned The Title.

I could not have said it better myself.

Terrell stole all of this info from Futurejarheads.com. You can find most of the info word for word on their site. http://www.futurejarheads.org/bootcampinfo.htm
    http://www.futurejarheads.org/generalinfo.htm

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    tnx for info

Message To Poolies

MESSAGE TO POOLIES: Before you enlist, drop the mob mentality. All of this blather about socks and soap is pure B.S. w/a cluster. Being a Marine is being a member of a TEAM, not a place to get your gang creds.
    That recruit that you assault may be someone who you are depending on in a fire fight someday...being in the Corps is an honor not some BS punk mob ganging up on someone with a bunch of other punks. If you have a bi... with a fellow Marine, take it into the shower room or wait until you get to the ITR phase to settle up.

To be quite frank with you...I wouldn't want anyone who talks about night time blanket parties in my squad. Reading all of this crap from a bunch of people who are not connected to one another indicates a bunch of mindless followers looking for a leader.

When I went through P.I., there was a guy in our platoon who was pretty much of a foul ball and one night some of his fellow recruits decided to do the sock and lock routine. After taps and after the first pass by the firewatch, these guys started to close in. Well, Private Hask was not any body's punk; He saw them coming and as they got close he reached behind and grabbed his cartridge belt/canteen/bayonet from it's position on his rack, pulled the bayonet from it's scabbord and commenced to beat hell out of a couple of dudes with the canteen end of his belt. There he was waling away with the belt in one hand and the bayonet in the other...It's just pure luck that one of the "heroes" didn't get cut. A good rule of thumb is the old chestnut, "Those who live by blanket parties, die by blanket parties."
    Something to think about, You may be part of the party today and the subject of one tomorrow. Don't forget, there is always the Rifle Range...Remember Pvt. Powel in FMJ. How would you enjoy waking up one night to find your sock and lock party-target staring at you throught the site of his "16"? You're joining the US military not the Hell's Angels.

Don't worry, if you want to fight you will get a belly full when you are out on liberty.

A head's up before you go to "Boot Camp". Physical: All you need to do is be in healthy shape, correct weight, can do a fair number of pull ups (at least 5) a good number of push ups (10 to 25 to start) You simply need to be ABLE to train and keep up. More important is your wind...build it up. You will need it for the morning runs, especially during the first phase when you will be pushed to see how far you are able to go before you fall out. You will be out running five short minutes after you open your bright and shining on your first new day and EVERY A.M. henceforth! Prepare well, because your lungs will scream many times before you complete training. If you go to boot in fat body shape you will be assigned to a conditioning platoon. Fat free bland diet and exercise. No regular training except for some of the very basics, none of which counts towards your reg train days. (When I went through P.I. the fat boys had to oink-oink as they went past a regular platoon or when they were entering the mess hall!!) The worst part is you can say good bye to the guys you came with as they will move forward in their training while you are just working on getting in shape enough to begin regular training. You will be staying behind while your original platoon does Final Field and mounts out to their duty stations and Boot leave. Being set back is a real killer.
    We had a guy come into our platoon from a platoon that had just two more reg training weeks before final field. His Plt. had even been issued their bag. He had a death in the family and went home on EM leave. When he came back he was set back to our platoon. We had about three weeks to go. His original platoon left the next day! Bummer in the extremus.
    (Miss three days,for ANY reason, and you are set back to another platoon coming up behind you; you might not even stay in your original Bn.)

That's the physical part- The mental part is easy. Those Drill Instructors are not interested and do not need to hear anything you believe is important. Also, never begin a sentence with, "I Think" or I Thought"!! So, the best advice is simply, Shut Up and Listen Up!! That's it,
    Turn to People and good luck.

P.S. Just in case you were wondering; about three years later,Pvt Hask was accused of murder. It seems he killed some dude while home on leave. I don't know how it came out as he was tranfered to Portsmouth Navy base in New Hamshire; closer to the site of the offense. One never knows, does one???

I am a very curious poolee and wasted my time reading this Turrell's forum. I just want to say that you really could confuse many poolees, did you not think this site would catch you for a fake? God you must be real dumb- They're Marines!

When do I stop feeling like death during the poolee functions?

I have been to a few of my first pool pt sessions and have been in the b**** circle lagging behind a little (haven't puked yet) and I am just hoping that with repetition and dedication I will stop feeling like dying and perform like some of the others who seem to be thriving pretty well.

This was a interesting read, it informed me on a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingniceslice View Post
    I have been to a few of my first pool pt sessions and have been in the b**** circle lagging behind a little (haven't puked yet) and I am just hoping that with repetition and dedication I will stop feeling like dying and perform like some of the others who seem to be thriving pretty well.
    King: If you are persistant and have enough discipline to overcome yourself, one day you will "hit the wall" and you will feel like the Incredible Hulk when he is transforming. In the meantime, it's a question of taking just one more step. I used to pick out various landmarks and tell myself that if "you" still want to quit, "we" will, when we get to that telephone pole or that tree, whatever prominant feature we picked".
    Bottom line: That's what boot training is all about...showing you that you are more than you thought you were and no matter how tired you get, you can always take that "one more" step. Like they say in the Army commerciaks, "Be all you can be"; it's very good advice for any young person, no matter which service they enter. Stop looking for answers, you have all you need; answer your own questions. Turn to.

P.S. You had best get out of your "I have aquestion" phase by the time you get to P.I. or S.D. Your D.I. will not be as friendly as your poolie instructor and he will not have the time, nor the inclination to answer questions.

Last edited by Knumb Nutz; 07-17-11 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling error

I am a soon to be Poolee. I want to get more information from Marines who have served as 03xx and 18xx MOSs. I really need to get moving on the MOS part of MEPS. I am kicking my butt into gear physically so that my recruiter will take me to MEPS. The more advice the better. I really want to know all about the daily life of an 03xx and 18xx. I want to know how they are being used across seas. How often the average Marine is currently seeing combat; to what degree. If I am asking the wrong questions, then PLEASE smarten me up. I need to be well versed in what I'm getting myself into.

--Thanks All

Thread Information