Bronze Star
Create Post

Thread: Bronze Star

Bronze Star

Does anyone know of a web site that has a complete listing of Bronze Star recipients of the Korean War? I tried Googleing it but only came up with a couple of partial lists. Any help will be appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tar_recipients
    Found this one in Wikipedia. Let me know if it helps, otherwise I'll search again.

Credits
    Savings
    Did you find a possible poser, Russ?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by GunRun View Post
    Found this one in Wikipedia. Let me know if it helps, otherwise I'll search again.
    Good post GunRun!

Quote Originally Posted by GunRun View Post
    I found that site but i think its just a partial list. I am assuming there were more recipients then that

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by wsky9er View Post
    Does anyone know of a web site that has a complete listing of Bronze Star recipients of the Korean War? I tried Googleing it but only came up with a couple of partial lists. Any help will be appreciated.
    Well sir is it a Bronze Star or a Bronze Star for Valor, big difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Did you find a possible poser, Russ?
    No Poser. This person passed away and a family member said his dd214 read that he got 2 bronze stars. Now im wondering if she read it wrong and maybe he got 2 bronze devices for some other award. Anyway I wanted to check it out to see.

Well, as far as I can tell, that wiki article is the biggest list there is. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by wsky9er View Post
    No Poser. This person passed away and a family member said his dd214 read that he got 2 bronze stars. Now im wondering if she read it wrong and maybe he got 2 bronze devices for some other award. Anyway I wanted to check it out to see.
    Any way they can just fax or scan and email you the 214 so you can check it out? I seriously doubt there's a comprehensive list of all BS recipients for any conflict. Just seems to me like there would have been too many awarded to keep track.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MGySgtSki View Post
    Any way they can just fax or scan and email you the 214 so you can check it out? I seriously doubt there's a comprehensive list of all BS recipients for any conflict. Just seems to me like there would have been too many awarded to keep track.
    There isn't.
    I know there is no site for a complete list of Silver Star reciepients so I wouldnt think there would be one for Bronze Stars.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you know, or can find out, which unit he served with in Korea, they may have their own veteran's association, and perhaps a web site which may list recipients of awards as part of maintaining their legacy. I know we do this on the 3rd Recon Bn. Association web site. Good luck.

I'll try and help out, then move this thread:

1: There is NO complete listing of Bronze Star winners from the Korean (or ANY) war. You would think so, but there isn't. To give you an idea, at the end of WWII every single ARMY combat infantryman and combat medic, who earned the CIB/CMB, was eligible for what was known as the 'CIB Conversion' Bronze Star. All they had to do was apply for it. This was in addition to any other medal they might have rec'ved.

In Korea, Vietnam, and to the present day, there are no lists. There IS a website, called "Home of Heroes" that is attempting to list ALL the winners of all the medals, from the Civil War to the present. A daunting task.

In 1955, a very nice lady named Jane Blakeney wrote an EXTREMELY large book called "Heroes of the United States Marine Corps 1861-1955". In it, she lists every single Marine who won any sort of valor decoration, INCLUDING the Silver Star. It's the most comprehensive list published. Finding a copy isn't difficult, but paying for one...they normally run 80-200.00. Well worth it if you do a lot of research.

To answer the final question, likely as not, the '2 bronze stars' listed on the DD-214 are not actual 'Bronze Stars' for valor...but CAMPAIGN/SERVICE stars for the Korean Campaign medal. Totally different animal than a 'Bronze Star'...but this DOES confuse a LOT of people, including the veterans themselves. My guess, based on your question, is that THIS is what the DD-214 means.

Hope that my information proves helpful.

Thanks for all the great information Sgt. Leprechaun. Until I am able to see his DD-214 that is my guess as well.

Anytime sir! Semper Fi!

Thread Information