Operation Eastern Exit - 1990 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I was the crewchief on the lead aircraft that had the fuel leak.I remember it like yesterday and yes we did have seals onboard.I brought them ove from the Trenton.Theysecured the te main building upon landing.Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by ch53ecrewchief View Post
    I was the crewchief on the lead aircraft that had the fuel leak.I remember it like yesterday and yes we did have seals onboard.I brought them ove from the Trenton.Theysecured the te main building upon landing.Semper Fi.
    Welcome to the site! Which squadron were you with?

I was in HMH-461.I spent most of the time on the Iwo Jima but was sent to the Trenton for the operation.

I was in HMH-461.I spent most of the time on the Iwo Jima but was sent to the Trenton for the operation.
    I'm glad I wasn't on the Iwo. I had gotten off that crappy boat in April of 1990 after a six-month cruise with HMM-365. That ship was a real tub compared to the Guam.

somalia 1991 iwo jima

I was on the Iwo Jima with Alpha Co 1/2
    do you remember anything about how we got involved.
    we guarded two Helos in a perimeter.
    I remeber the Marine enlisted staying and the officers went to the embassy.
    Hrs later they loaded cardboard boxes. and we flew back.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    also, did any marine enlisted get recognized for this operation?
    Cpl T Thornton

The USS Trenton and USS Guam were tasked to respond, the Seal teams were brought aboard the USS Guam, the first two hilo's on the ground were from the USS Guam and from HMM 365. The ambassador, James K. Biship, sent the Marines aboard the second Hilo back,he was not appreciative of 20 officers with side arms coming in to try and get a medal, elements from 2d force-recon, one an actual bomb on collar Gunner, and elements from 2d Fast Company, fast roped into sections of the city to ensure safe passage for civilians from other embassies to arrive for evacution. The rest of the Marines on the gound were from 1Battalian 2Marines. We even evacuted the Russians with their KGB agents. All civilians were taken aboard the USS Guam and given medical treatment. A Somalian Native even gave birth to her son on board. All civilians were taken to Muscat Oman. We were given liberty the first night in port, half of each unit was given liberty the first night the other half got it the next night. I was in group one. Hotels serve alcohol. We got drunk, got back to the Guam by midnight, 30 minutes later we were under way at full speed, the Captain of the Guam, Captain Charles Saffel, Broke radio silence and announced to the Marines, and I guess the sailers, that the US had just started a bombing campaign in Iraq.
    That's how it happened, I have a page 13 entry in my SRB signed by the Diplomatic Heads of State from all the embassies we evacuated, also have the piuctures and a 1000 dollar Somalian bill signed by the German Ambassador's secretary, who was smoking hot. The Fuel leak was real, I was on the fifth hilo to go in off the Guam, we had to go back below and grab an extra set of utilities to take with before we took off. Didn't know why till we landed.

I was on the USS Guam, 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines and there were some seals on board, They appeared, i guess, before we left. I never remember seeing them on board until the actual mission. Before we flew in we saw them and the gear in the hangar. They didnt fly with us, I didnt see them when we got there but they were on ship and geared up to go. I think there were some Recon Marines there as well. I still have a backpack and a t shirt that is from the embassy commisary.
    I agree, looking back, i twas a very well executed operation.

Your information is incorrect.I was a member of the rescue force that went in which was a combined force of 51 Marines and 9 Navy Seals.46 Marines were from Charlie Company 1/2 1 marine our Battalion Commander Lt.Col Mcaleer 4 Marines from BSSG and the 9 Navy Seals.2nd Force Recon did not go in there was no Fast Company and 20 officers were not sent back.We did not have that many on the mission.Nobody fast roped into sections of the city.When the 2 CH-53 Super Stallion helicopters landed in the compound a hour later they took off with the first 60 civillian evacues for the return flight to Guam and they did not return and no more Marines came into the compound.The USS Guam was not even in range to launch the CH-46 Sea Knights until near midnight on jan 5.When they came in they evacuated the rest of the evacues and the 60 man rescue force.If you google Operation Eastern Exit by Adam Siegel who was a reporter who was actually on board the Guam who did a accurate extensive report on the mission.There you will find the facts.I do not know where you received your info from,but you give this mission no justice with these false reports.What unit were you with may I ask?

Your information is incorrect.I was a member of the 60 man rescue force that went in.I was a team leader with Charlie Company 1/2.The rescue force consisted of 46 Marines from Charlie Company 1/2 1 Marine our Battalion Commander Lt.Col McAleer 4 Marines from BSSG and 9 Navy Seals from Seal Team 8 that crossdecked from U.S.S Trenton to U.S.S. Guam.2nd Force Recon did not go in there was no Fast Company,Nobody fasted roped into the city,Ambassador Bishop did not send 20 officers back to the ship,we did not have that many officers on the mission.When the 2 CH-53 helicopters touched down in the U.S. Embassy the morning of jan 5 1991 they stayed on the ground for 1 hour.When they took off for the return flight to Guam they had 60 civillian evacues on board.They did not return once they landed back on Guam,there mission was complete.No more Marines came into the compound.The U.S.S. Guam was not even in range to launch the CH-46 helicopters until near midnight on jan 5.When they came in to evacuate everyone else and the rescue force,there was only 4 waves.You give this mission no justice with your false reports.If you goggle Operation Eastern Exit by Adam Siegel there you will find the accurate report of the mission.He was a reporter that was on the Guam and he did a accurate extensive report.

We had a " bomb on the collar " gunner on the Guam...I think he was Gunner Steele and was super cool. He didnt go aboard but he was there when we were getting handed gear..ammo etc. and was talking to the Marines. I dont remember any officers being sent back. I dont remember anyone fast roping in. I honestly thought it was more Marines than 51 but my memory from 21 years ago probably isnt the greatest. I dont remember when we got liberty after that.
    That, other than some field exercises were the extent of my Gulf War experience.
    Does anyone recall when we were heloed onto land for exercises maybe in UAE? I dont know but our whole unit humped from maybe 2 pm and most of the night? We walked and walked and walked. I remember humping in the dark and singing songs in my mind because it was monotonous. When we got back to the Guam, we smelled so foul that the Navy guys would give us a wide berth before we all got showered. Then LTC Mcaleer told us that the higher brass was simulating that we were in helos but they didnt want to actually run the helos so we all humped. Does anyone recall that? Some guys fell out that day and I ended up humping extra gear and we started in flack jackets and helmets in that heat. Crazy.
    I was with 1/2 Weapons attached to Charlie.

I was member of the rescue force.I was a team leader with Charlie Company 1/2.There were 9 Navy Seals from Seal Team 8 that went on the mission.If you goggle Operation Eastern Exit by Adam Siegel you willfind a accurate extensive report on the mission.He was a civilian reporter on Guam.

I do remember seeing some civilians on the Guam. Man we spent A LOT of time on board that ship. I remember that packed berthing area we slept in. I had mess on board about two months before I picked up Cpl. That sucked...washing pots and pans. One night my scullery partner...a Navy guy was manning a gun on drills all night so needless to say I didnt get all of the pots and pans washed before my shift ended. Some CPO ( he was about five feet one little black dude..anyone recall?) He made me stay after my shift to wash everything until our mess Gunny came in and told me to hit the rack and told the chief to find someone else to finish it. OOrraahh. Isnt that funny? No one ever talks about mess duty.

Semper Fi I replied to Marinecoplawyer with the false reports.There were only 51 Marines that went in.We could only get 30 soldiers on each CH-53 helicopter and that was even tight because we had so much gear weapons and ammunition.We launched from the U.S.S. Guam at 0247am on January 5 1991 at a distance of 466 nautical miles from Mogadishu,Somalia.Before we launched we received a short briefing from the senior crew chief.The Nine Seals were there as well.So cook you were with Weapons Company 1/2 attached to Charlie Company.I recall 1 hike we did when the helicopters dropped us off in the Desert of Oman for the Sea Soldier exercise at about 12 noon and we hiked until about 3am in the morning and when we stopped we were very tired and not happy.
    Sergeant L
    U.S. Marines

Im glad my memory serves me fairly well. I was a Dragon guy so when we had someone drop from that hump...they did have to stick an i.v. into the guy as I recall, I had to hump extra Dragon gear which was a load. I remember Sgt Smith, Staff Sgt Miller Perry and maybe a few other guys outside of the Dragons section. Remember that corporal who had the headache which turned out to be a brain tumor, I think , and passed away?

I was a team leader with Charlie Company 1/2 2nd Platoon.I was also a member of the 60 man rescue force that went in.The rescue force was a combined force 46 Marines from Charlie Company 1/2 1 Marine our Battalion Commander Lt.Col McAleer 4 Marines from BSSG and 9 Navy Seals from Seal team 8.If you goggle Operation Eastern Exit by Adam Siegel you will find a accurate extensive report of the mission.He was a civilian reporter on the Guam.Also Goggle Night Mission To Mogadishu.
    Semper Fi

Thread Information