Allergies and receiving week
Closed Thread

Question Allergies and receiving week

Hello. I have a wee bit of a problem. Severe allergies to penicillin runs in my family. No other allergies, but a teaspoon of penicillin would probably end it all. I have never needed to take penicillin, so when I was going through the process of getting into the DEP, I listed "no allergies" because as far as I am concerned, I have none. Now, I have heard of the infamous "Peanut Butter shot" and am a little concerned. If I do blood tests and turn out to have a severe reaction to penicillin like the rest of my family, will I still be given the shot regardless? I doubt they want a dying convulsing person on the deck. Not afraid of needles or anything, just want to be sure that I will either not be given the shot, or will have to hope in an afterlife. Thanks.

Ever hear of "fraudulent enlistment"?
    This isn't anything to mess around with. It needs to be in your medical records, so you better fess up to your recruiter about being allergic to penicillin.

Well, I did ask him about it before I even started filling out the papers. I told him that it ran in my family, but I never actually needed to use it. On my medical history section, I had "Possible allergic reaction to penicillin, unverified", and the interviewer asked me if I had any allergies. I told him, maybe penicillin. He said "Either you are or you aren't. Have you ever had a reaction to penicillin, yes or no?" And I told him "No" (because I've never used it) and moved on.I just have a suspicion about it. My dad is allergic to peanuts but I'm not. So I have never needed to use penicillin, have never had any type of allergic reaction, even the doctor at MEPS told me that unless I had ever had an encounter with it, it could be safe to say that I am not allergic to it. It has puzzled me for a while. I just don't want to find out the hard way.

You answer to the interviewer was correct since you have never had a personal reaction to penicillin. I would suggest you tell the Docs of your families history concerning the drug. I am allergic to penicillin but in my case it is not severe. Over the years, however, the reaction got worse and worse until the Docs put that I am allergic. There are simple tests for allergies...and it might just be worth the money to have it done.

Good luck.

Never heard of the Peanut Butter Shot, but I do know that when I was on active duty, just about anything you had, pnuemonia, cold, fever, flu. and other things that people catch, the main medicine the Navy gives you either has penicillin in it or they give you penicillin in a shot.

I would strongly suggest that you tell your recruiter immediately.

Thank you Marines. Will do. Better to get this matter squared away once and for all then to wait till the last minute.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would go see an immunologist and get tested for your sensitivity to penicillin and family of similar drugs. This could be a life saving piece of information. As a former paramedic I've treated penicillin anaphylactic shock a few times and I didn't save 'em all.

Like with Dr Z, sometimes a sensitivity builds up over the years, but suddenly what was a minor problem literally becomes a lights and siren emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    As a former paramedic I've treated penicillin anaphylactic shock a few times and I didn't save 'em all.

Like with Dr Z, sometimes a sensitivity builds up over the years, but suddenly what was a minor problem literally becomes a lights and siren emergency.

Okay, now I definitely have to get this dealt with. I'll check around for a nearby immunologist and tell ya'll how it goes. Thanks again.

Uhhhh.....yeah. Penicillin allergy can KILL you. Dead. Go find out for sure. The money you spend will be worth it.

And I knew plenty of Marines who had this, they just had a red dog tag and everyone in the unit, (esp. the Docs) knew it.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom. Now that we have reached a consensus that I need to find out for sure if I am allergic, can one of the mods close this thread? Thanks.

You got it. Done. Drop me a PM when you get the final word and I'll add it to the thread. Good luck!!!

Thread Information