Deployment Advice - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All the SAWS we have in our Battalion have a scope called an ELCAN, which is a 3.4x28 sight, and it works wonders at 400+ meters but its horrible at close range. There is also another sight that our saw gunner got. It's pretty much a red-dot sight, works great up to 200 meters, but after that it is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    Optical sights on a SAW? The SAW might be accurate (I don't know), but I don't think it is meant to be a sniper riffle. Does it even have a single shot setting? I doubt the Marine Corps is going to put a scope on there. Don't get your hopes up.
    Roger, not really wanting more accuracy as much as I want a clearer sight picture and faster, easier target acquisition. I just think I'd be a lot more effective with a low to no power optic. Someone at drill said they had seen ACOGs on SAWs but I don't know. ACOG is more weight than I'd want to add to a SAW anyhow.

I've been looking into getting an EoTech for my AK or my Springfield M1A at home so I might buy one for those and it might just find it's way into my sea bag. I'll ask about what the reaction to my doing that might be at next drill.

*edit:

All the SAWS we have in our Battalion have a scope called an ELCAN, which is a 3.4x28 sight, and it works wonders at 400+ meters but its horrible at close range. There is also another sight that our saw gunner got. It's pretty much a red-dot sight, works great up to 200 meters, but after that it is lacking.
    Got it. If I buy anything else it'll be something I can take off the SAW and use for my guns.

Just did a quick google search and got all these hits in their images. Click the link to see them.

Roger that jp and GunRun, sounds good to me. Hopefully the SAW I get has one.

Hell no! We tried putting an RCO on the SAWs and you have to do some CRAZY adjustments sometimes! Like they were not even hitting paper on a BZO until Like 40 clicks left and stuff. Pretty much all of our SAW gunners just used iron sights. Trust me. Better!

Well, the RCO is primarily designed for the M16A4 and the M4. The ELCAN has a different type of ballistic compensation on it than the RCO, which provides better stability and can keep a better zero.

Are iron sights better? Sometimes. But the ELCAN is an awesome tool to have on you. If you get it, try it. If you don't like it, just detach it and rock old school.

Yeah, saw guys have optics. The rubberized danners are called RATs. If you are doing extended dwell ops consider getting a jetboil. A lot of guys are wearing rocky sv2, or s2v boots. They are great but don't have an EGA, which may be an issue with some commands.

Thread Information