Couple pics from the visit home
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Couple pics from the visit home

Our son was home on leave from Bangor for two weeks in December. One evening he visited his old Boy Scout Troop, of which I'm the Scout Master. He met with the boys and then put them through some boot camp drills. He didn't cut them much slack; got in some faces, yelled, etc but they really responded to him and within a couple minutes were yelling "yes sir" to his instructions. The parents were loving it!

a few more

You should have seen their faces doing this one!

last day of leave

One with the old man

mom and her "baby"

saying goodbye at the airport

An older couple came up to my wife and I at the airport and asked if our son was a Marine. We asked them how they guessed that and they said "you can just tell by the way he carries himself."
    Made us smile.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Great photos and thank you for sharing. I loved the pics of the Boy Scouts, you could tell by looking at their faces how much they admired and respected your son. I wonder how many of them will join the Corps because your son spent some of his leave time just dropping by and spending time with them

Fair winds Marine Dad

Awsome pictures, but unless he had permission from his command he is not aurthorized to wear his cammies out in town. I suggest wearing Charlies for his next boy scout visit.

MCO P1020.34G Chapter 5 2. The utility uniform is a working uniform and not appropriate for wear in a civilian environment. Wear of the MCCUU is authorized while commuting to and from work via privately owned vehicles. However, en route stops while off-base are not authorized except for bonafide emergencies, such as medical emergencies, vehicle breakdown, or vehicle accidents. Marines and Sailors may only wear the MCCUU at off base establishments when using drive-thru services such as ATMs, fast food restaurants, or dry cleaners when they do not exit the vehicle. ALMAR 035/07

Looks like you raised him right...good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    Awsome pictures, but unless he had permission from his command he is not aurthorized to wear his cammies out in town. I suggest wearing Charlies for his next boy scout visit.

MCO P1020.34G Chapter 5 2. The utility uniform is a working uniform and not appropriate for wear in a civilian environment. Wear of the MCCUU is authorized while commuting to and from work via privately owned vehicles. However, en route stops while off-base are not authorized except for bonafide emergencies, such as medical emergencies, vehicle breakdown, or vehicle accidents. Marines and Sailors may only wear the MCCUU at off base establishments when using drive-thru services such as ATMs, fast food restaurants, or dry cleaners when they do not exit the vehicle. ALMAR 035/07
    I accept responsibility for him wearing his cammies. It was the only uniform he brought home with him, and he spoke of the regulation you quoted. I suppose I persuaded him to wear them, only to make an impression on the scouts, rather than just wear civilian clothes. As Dan mentioned, the boys were most impressed and had lots of questions for him. A few of the parents I spoke to later said their sons had a sudden interest in the military. Hopefully he would not get into hot water for doing some PR with a Boy Scout Troop. Maybe I shouldn't have posted the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by jdubbya View Post
    I accept responsibility for him wearing his cammies. It was the only uniform he brought home with him, and he spoke of the regulation you quoted. I suppose I persuaded him to wear them, only to make an impression on the scouts, rather than just wear civilian clothes. As Dan mentioned, the boys were most impressed and had lots of questions for him. A few of the parents I spoke to later said their sons had a sudden interest in the military. Hopefully he would not get into hot water for doing some PR with a Boy Scout Troop. Maybe I shouldn't have posted the pics.
    I think he will be good to go, I just wanted you to be aware of the order. Good PR is never a bad thing. It sounds like his Boy Scout visit was a success.

Great post and pics tell your son "Semper Fi' from me.

Fantastic pictures!!!!!!!!!! Shine with pride dad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunz View Post

There are certain circumstances where it is allowed to wear the utility uniform off base in a public setting. I have seen Marines in Marpats at several events including air shows,state fairs etc. Usually they are on a recruiting mission with marked vehicles and tents and stuff. I don't think that there would have been an issue as this took place indoors at a Boy Scout function.Now if they went to Baskin Robbins for Ice Cream thats a whole different story. I agree it would be a good CYA to ask permission from his CO in advance next time just to make sure. I have stopped in at the park where the recruiters take the poolees to PT on weekends and noticed "boots and utes" before, again I have no issue with the Marpat uniform being used to represent a recruiting effort as long as it isn't worn as a "liberty" attire.

The Marpat uniform is one thing but I sure hope he didn't put that "Smokey Bear" cover on that's suspiciosuly sitting on top of the table behind him. That piece of gear is ONLY authorized for Drill Instructors and Primary Marksmanship Instructors. Your son needs to be reminded he is still a Marine while home on leave and subject to all USMC regulations. And, be careful what you take photos of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    The Marpat uniform is one thing but I sure hope he didn't put that "Smokey Bear" cover on that's suspiciosuly sitting on top of the table behind him. That piece of gear is ONLY authorized for Drill Instructors and Primary Marksmanship Instructors. Your son needs to be reminded he is still a Marine while home on leave and subject to all USMC regulations. And, be careful what you take photos of.
    The campaign hat belonged to one of our scout leaders. A few of them wear them and it's an optional part of the adult leader uniform. It just happened to be sitting on the table, so no he didn't wear it nor would he for the reasons you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Muztang11 View Post
    There are certain circumstances where it is allowed to wear the utility uniform off base in a public setting. I have seen Marines in Marpats at several events including air shows,state fairs etc. Usually they are on a recruiting mission with marked vehicles and tents and stuff. I don't think that there would have been an issue as this took place indoors at a Boy Scout function.Now if they went to Baskin Robbins for Ice Cream thats a whole different story. I agree it would be a good CYA to ask permission from his CO in advance next time just to make sure. I have stopped in at the park where the recruiters take the poolees to PT on weekends and noticed "boots and utes" before, again I have no issue with the Marpat uniform being used to represent a recruiting effort as long as it isn't worn as a "liberty" attire.
    That is pretty ballsy for a Corporal to be correcting to a Gunny like that. I think you should at least give him twenty for the smack in the face. Who are you to challenge his wisdom -- especially when he puts a MCO to it. You got nerve.

To Gunz -- Semper Fi Gunny - Marines like you are the reason I am still proud to be a Marine.

To the OP -- Your should be proud, you son looks good and I hear he made it through CQB school -- not an easy task. Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubbya View Post

saying goodbye at the airport

An older couple came up to my wife and I at the airport and asked if our son was a Marine. We asked them how they guessed that and they said "you can just tell by the way he carries himself."
    Made us smile.
    That line made my eyeballs moist.

Is there a name they give that "Cattipillar Pushup" them young'uns are doing ??

sorta reminds me of the punchline on a joke
    One sled dog to another

"Ever notice, the scenery never changes unless you're the Lead Dog?"

Thread Information