Current Poolee wondering what to expect
Create Post

Current Poolee wondering what to expect

Hello,

I am a poolee in the DEP program. I enlisted 20110120 (January 20th, 2011), and my shipping date for Boot Camp is 20111011 (October 11th, 2011). I do not, and never will, regret my decision to enlist, and I would like to know what I should expect at Poolee functions, and how to better prepare for Boot Camp on days that I do not have PT. I have a workout booklet my recruiter gave me; however, in my experience it is better to learn from someone with the experience than from a paper booklet. I would appreciate any help.

Do NOT get involved with the law.

Do NOT get any tattoos.

Do NOT experiment with drugs (you WILL pee in a bottle at recruiting training).

Do NOT get married.

Do NOT get your girlfriend pregnant.

If you're fat then lose weight.

Get in the best physical condition you can. Work on upper body strength, core strength (abs), and cardiovascular endurance. Get a good pair of running shoes and wear them out (literally).

Study the knowledge in the booklet your recruiter gave you until you know it.

At poolee meetings you'll establish a sense of teamwork, competition, and leadership. Don't just attend, work hard, and do your best. The more you accomplish as a poolee the better prepared you'll be for bootcamp (the whole purpose of the DEP).

Good luck.

Thank you very much for the information, Sir. I went 2 days ago to Worcester for the Poolee Function, and I have to say that it was the best workout I have ever had in my life.

Along with every thing the Top said... watch the recruiters. What how they walk and talk. Listen to what they say and how they say it. The recruiters are your nearest connection to the Marines. Don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird a$$. Take some time and google practice ASVAB test. Take each and every one you can. Study where you are weak. The more you learn, the better your scores will be and the larger your selections of MOS.

Be humble and work your butt off. I will finally throw in... no matter how ready you think you are.... as far as your DI is concerned.... you are not ready enough.

Congratulations on your decision.

Poolee training: Learn to swim pretty good! Go to a pool and learn how to swim a few laps (no goggles, no floaties, and no flippers). Holy smokes! They actually waited until I physically went under before tossing me a life preserver. I just knew I'd drowned and that it was all over. No one ever told us to practice swimming!

Some boot came advice (for October): When you are all standing there at attention in the squad bay and the DI gives a command that you did not understand, don't do like some guys and keep standing there and don't ask the guy next to you what he said. Just look around and do what everyone else is doing!

I too am soon to enlist and I was curious as to why it's going to take you take you 9 months before you can leave for boot camp. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks

There are only X number of platoons going through boot camp at any one time. These platoons have to be scheduled with who is going to be a drill instructor, classes have to be lined up, etc. You don't just hop on a bus and go (oh: you gotta have a bus ticket, too).

Recruiters generally just appoint a new enlistment with the first slot they have. If you got 9 months down the road, either your recruiter has a small quota and he's filled up or other recruiters have filled up those spaces.

If you'd like to go in early, let your recruiter know. Someone on the list is always getting dropped for some reason. I did this, and instead of going in 6 months later, I went in 2 weeks later.

Be warned ahead of time, though: My recruiter told me on a Friday afternoon that I was going to have to be on the bus the next Saturday morning at 8 AM. I had very little time to tell my job I was quiting, and I did not get to say goodbye to many people I knew.

Patience Young Grasshopper

Quote Originally Posted by reddenfreeman89 View Post
    I too am soon to enlist and I was curious as to why it's going to take you take you 9 months before you can leave for boot camp. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks
    I know you're anxious to begin the journey but all good things in life are worth the wait. The USMC is not going anywhere (unless the SecDef gets his way apparently).

If you can't ship earlier, use the time you have as a poolee to your advantage. Improve your physical fitness level, learn your knowledge (there is a LOT of it), and work on your leadership skills at poolee events. Try to think about how much better prepared you'll be for bootcamp when you do finally get there and keep your eye on the prize.

Good luck.

I am also on a waiting list to leave for boot camp. Dep'ed in Jan 11 2011 and my ship date is Oct 12th 2011... if things stay the same, i will be arriving to Parris Island with you..

Dang guys i Leave October 17th haha

nice!

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 000agangnon000 View Post
    Hello,

I am a poolee in the DEP program. I enlisted 20110120 (January 20th, 2011), and my shipping date for Boot Camp is 20111011 (October 11th, 2011). I do not, and never will, regret my decision to enlist, and I would like to know what I should expect at Poolee functions, and how to better prepare for Boot Camp on days that I do not have PT. I have a workout booklet my recruiter gave me; however, in my experience it is better to learn from someone with the experience than from a paper booklet. I would appreciate any help.
    WTF is a POOLEE function? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    They all get together and say, "We're gonna be Marines one day."

What else?

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    The ones we do are stuff like the CFT, PFT, general order test etc etc to see which recruiter has the sharpest poolees. we also go on hikes and stuff, its pretty cool.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbrown10 View Post
    The ones we do are stuff like the CFT, PFT, general order test etc etc to see which recruiter has the sharpest poolees. we also go on hikes and stuff, its pretty cool.

Geezus H. Christ! You gotta be ****ting me! Sounds like a ****ing gayfest.

Thread Information