What to Say to Men Who Have Negative Opinions on Females in the Military
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What to Say to Men Who Have Negative Opinions on Females in the Military

I encountered an extremely frustrating opinion concerning women in the armed forces. This is from someone I know pretty well in a professional manner. What do I say to men who totally disregard the efforts of the FET and those women who serve with honor in the military? I realize that the military is still very much a man's world, but the comments made to me were very insulting. Any recommendations? Should I simply disregard their opinions? I'm going in as a linguist and I feel I will make as good a linguist as any male. I find it offensive and disrespectful to ignore the efforts of women in the military and would like some advice on how to handle that. Thanks, Marines

P.S. I accidentally posted this in Poolee Hall, so here it is again.

Credits
    Savings

Women Marines

My perspective ? Women Marines are Marines ! Need to toughen up and grow a tougher skin. IMHO Moz 68-70 USMC

Well ... It doesn't bother me from a stranger, but this is someone who knows me so it was slightly offensive. I'm not like sitting here crying my eyes out or anything, just maybe looking for a few witty comebacks and/or some valid points I could make about the subject. Thanks : )

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I don't have any problem with woman serving in any branch. They have been serving on ships in the Navy for decades, serving right along side their male counterparts. They are now Aviators and recently have started serving on subs. However I think that billet will be limited to officers

My only objection is women in ground combat and since that's been discussed Ad nauseam on here it's not worth getting into again.

Credits
    Savings

Offensive...........

what was the context of the offense, generically speaking basics !

My "business associate" who I have known for about a year, basically said that he never met a single woman he respected while in the Army. He said they all got rank and promotions by being on their backs or on their knees. He called them "useless" to all branches of the military. I politely disagreed. I said, what about the FET? Males can't do what they are doing, so isn't that essential to the mission? And he basically signed off on me.

I was just offended because he knows me. I am a married 23 year old woman and for him to insinuate I would be included in that category just got me riled ...

Maybe he was just pulling your chain because he knew it rile you...why give him the satisfaction?. Besides that, he was in the Army so his opinions don't count for anything anyway. There is no comparison between female soldiers and Women Marines but he would not recognize that fact.

Obviously, he is a sexist and no matter what you say to him he is not going to change his attitude. So, why waste any energy and get your blood pressure up? I would just maintain the minimum professional relationship but not engage this individual otherwise; once you ship in April he will be out of your life completely anyway.

Good luck.

Oh I won't be working with him again LOL. You're right, he did not see the obvious differences between female soldiers and female Marines : )

Unfortunately, I don't think he was kidding around. He is a temperamental character. Not my style!

Sounds like a real piece of work. He wouldn't understand the Women Marines or the Marines in general. He will never understand what it means to be that sharp, that squared away, that fit, that honorable. A-R-M-Y: Aint Ready for the Marines Yet.

He is probably that Army Strong I keep hearing about. Smells strong.

Hey now, my husband was in the Army and he understands fine why his wife wants to be a Marine. I guess that means that guy is just a d-bag and my hubby is awesome regardless of his Army affiliations : D

Right on! I was going to state earlier about it; but I guess I'll say it now. I've only known two types of Army folks; those that respect Marines and those that don't. Also; our household is a multi branch family; my wife was Navy. In service or prior-military spouses can be incredibly supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf121 View Post
    Right on! I was going to state earlier about it; but I guess I'll say it now. I've only known two types of Army folks; those that respect Marines and those that don't. Also; our household is a multi branch family; my wife was Navy. In service or prior-military spouses can be incredibly supportive.
    Exactly. It's all about the individual. And I expect that my spouse will be the perfect USMC spouse : )

He might need to start a husband's club on base when I get there : D

That's awesome! And a bit ironic; I was my wife's dependent for her last three years of her service.

This is a Marine site, why do we have to hear about the army of none, army=Aren't really men yet,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information