DEP Discharge Question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DEP Discharge Question

Marines, I have a question about being discharged from the DEP. My recruiter told me that I needed to sign a reserve contract and then he would switch me to active duty before my ship date. But it looks like that may not happen now. So my question is, if I request a discharge from the DEP, can I still enlist into the Marine Corps again? Thank You.

The Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP)

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm

================================================== ===

Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP)

Once the job counselors have helped you determine what job/enlistment program you are going to enlist in, they will complete the paperwork, and you'll sign an enlistment contract (and take an oath), enlisting you in the DEP (Delayed Enlistment Program). The DEP is a "holding status" while you are waiting for your scheduled shipping date to basic training. When you enlist in the DEP, you are actually in the military. You are enlisted in the inactive reserves, and are legally (and morally) bound by your enlistment contract. (Note: The National Guard does not have DEP. When you sign on the dotted line in the National Guard, you immediately become a member of your National Guard Unit. Some units even allow you to drill and receive pay before you've even attended basic training).

One final thing about the DEP some recruiters may not want you to know: In this program, you enlist, and "promise" to ship out for boot camp on the designated date. This is a binding contract, and if the military wanted to, they could prosecute you for not shipping out on the date specified on the contract. However, current regulations and policies require the military services to discharge you from the DEP, if -- at any time before shipping out -- you apply to be released from the contract (the request should be in writing and should state the reason you wish to be discharged from the DEP). If a recruiter tells you that you will go to jail if you back out of DEP, he/she's lying to you. If he/she tells you that you will never be able to enlist again, he/she is lying to you. If they tell you that you will be "blacklisted," he/she is lying to you. If he/she tells you that you will be given a "general" discharge, he/she is lying to you. In fact, the only bad consequences to dropping out of the DEP, is that if you later want to enlist in that same service, it will be on THEIR terms, not yours. Most services have policies that require a waiver processing for recruits who previously dropped out of DEP of their service. Because of this, many programs (such as guaranteed job) may not be available, should you change you mind (Note: This doesn't apply if you drop out of the DEP of one service, then join a different service).

That being said, if you request a discharge from the DEP, expect your recruiter to be (justifiably) angry. He/she's invested several hours of his/her valuable time in your enlistment, and the military has spent a significant amount of time and funds in your tests and medical physical.

Additionally, if you drop out, you're no longer filling a "slot" that must be filled, and the recruiter must now try and find someone to fill that slot. Don't enlist in the DEP unless you are 100% sure you want to join the military. See The Delayed Enlistment Program for more detailed information.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joini...cruiter3_5.htm

I have a similiar problem. I swore in around March and I was given my date of shipment on Nov. 14. Well when I swore in my recruiter left me alone for about a week. Then suddenly he was transfered to another recruiter sub station and he told me I had a new recruiter. Well I met the new recruiter and i didnt hear from him until I graduated from my high school. He suddenly kept on bugging me for not calling him but I didnt have any of his contact information. Well time kept on passing and he never called me or anything. A month prior to my shipment day I tried calling my recruiter and going to the station but they never contacted me back. My shipment day passed and I was wondering if I was discharged or what happened?

Did you try going to the office?

You want to talk with your recuiter, or any recruiter, don't call........talk with him/her face-to-face.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thats great, not only did you take up a spot, you didn't even put forth enough effort about your ship date. Well, you're better off because you'd be four days in boot, and crying your eyes out.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is always an excuse for lack of performance. "It wasn't my fault"...... You own it, kid.

The Private didn't know

Quote Originally Posted by reyesjorge0693 View Post
    I have a similiar problem. I swore in around March and I was given my date of shipment on Nov. 14. Well when I swore in my recruiter left me alone for about a week. Then suddenly he was transfered to another recruiter sub station and he told me I had a new recruiter. Well I met the new recruiter and i didnt hear from him until I graduated from my high school. He suddenly kept on bugging me for not calling him but I didnt have any of his contact information. Well time kept on passing and he never called me or anything. A month prior to my shipment day I tried calling my recruiter and going to the station but they never contacted me back. My shipment day passed and I was wondering if I was discharged or what happened?
    That's just crazy on both sides!! Sounds like someone screwed up

Something in this story doesn't fit. Wish we could hear the recruiter's side of it.

I think we need Paul Harvey on this one.

Something Smells on this. I was DEP and the from the day i signed my name, my recruiter was calling me every day making sure that I was staying in shape.
    Smells like cold feet!

Quote Originally Posted by USMCFAN21 View Post
    Marines, I have a question about being discharged from the DEP. My recruiter told me that I needed to sign a reserve contract and then he would switch me to active duty before my ship date. But it looks like that may not happen now. So my question is, if I request a discharge from the DEP, can I still enlist into the Marine Corps again? Thank You.
    In theory, yes. In reality, a DEP discharge (will be uncharacterized discharge) can make it harder to enlist again (in any branch not just the USMC). If you haven't signed anything yet, don't. Get it right the first time for your benefit.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by reyesjorge0693 View Post
    From the day I DEP'd in my SSGT made sure to introduce me as part of the Marine Corps family, I've been in constant contact with my recruiter face to face at least 3 times a week, the DEP program should be taken as a serious and proud commitment to becoming a Marine which requires countless hours of PT, and tons of time learning the ranks, rules, what to say, and what not to say, how to speak, how to stand, ect ect. Im sure you were well informed before DEP'ing in that it wasn't going to be a long wait and then you ship, its a process.

Are you a high school senior? If so you should have signed active, but that's besides the point. I enlisted as a high school senior, by the time summer rolled around I still didn't have a MOS assigned to me, when they finally allowed me to come in and sign, it was a supply or admin contract. I didn't want it and naturally said no, they dropped me from the DEP. I went in to enlist at another station the Operations Chief saw my discharge listed as "moral" and said "**** no" to letting me back in.

Long story short I'm going in as a reservist in 19 days, with a 0231 billet. Originally I was going to be an 0621 reservist, but the unit was too far away. My recruiter went to bat for me and hooked it up. Like I've said before, your personal recruiter will do everything in his power to get you what you want, you have to worry about his chain of command.

You WILL be able to enlist again, but you will have to take what they give you. Most likely you will end up in the reserves because they need bodies. I was lucky in securing a good MOS, you on the other hand might not.

As for the guy who failed to contact his recruiter, you're an idiot. Freaking call his ass up or drive to the office.

Thread Information