Clarification for a Daughter
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Clarification for a Daughter

May dad, a Marine in his younger years, passed away a few years ago. As I'm sorting through his belongings, I came across a certificate of Honorable Discharge from 1961 with title of Private typed in. However, I always thought my dad had status of Captain. Is there any site or source I can go to for clarification? Not that it matters now, but I am curious. Dad was always proud to be a Marine.

Thank you from a Marine daughter. Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Admin does make errors. For a captain to accept a warrent of discharge with private on it would be a large error on his part or .... he was a private upon discharge.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jbearley View Post
    May dad, a Marine in his younger years, passed away a few years ago. As I'm sorting through his belongings, I came across a certificate of Honorable Discharge from 1961 with title of Private typed in. However, I always thought my dad had status of Captain. Is there any site or source I can go to for clarification? Not that it matters now, but I am curious. Dad was always proud to be a Marine.

Thank you from a Marine daughter. Semper Fi

Do you have your Dad's DD214 form? It should be among his records. It's essentially his military biography. If you don't have it and you know his SSN, you can do a search online for obtaining a free copy of the DD214. I'm sure someone will come along with the link.

Now it's possible your Dad was enlisted then obtained a commission. He would have been discharged as an enlisted Marine then obtained an officers rank. If this is the case then I believe he would have a second DD214.

Gentleman if I'm wrong please correct me. And were SSN's used back in the 50's early 60's?

But back on track, the key is to get a copy of one or both DD214 forms. I hope this helpe
    d

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you. I have not come across any DD214 forms. I also thought he was in the Marines later than 1961, so I'm really confused but I have his SSN and will follow your advice, thank you!!

Credits
    Savings
    I entered in 1970 and was issued a service number, 7 digit. When I was discharged in 1974 they used my SSN. I went to the register of deeds and had my DD-214 recorded so you may also check to see if your father might have recorded his.

You might find going to the National Military Personnel Records website and requesting a copy of his military records useful since you are a NOK.

Requesting Records

It is entirely possible that your father has more than one "honorable discharge" certificate. For a time, service members were issued an honorable discharge at re-enlistment. Or it is possible he served, got out in 1961 as a private, went to college, received a commission and came back in as an officer, only to separate years later as a captain. Personally, I have two honorable discharge certificates with my name on them, dated 10 years apart.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    It is entirely possible that your father has more than one "honorable discharge" certificate. For a time, service members were issued an honorable discharge at re-enlistment. Or it is possible he served, got out in 1961 as a private, went to college, received a commission and came back in as an officer, only to separate years later as a captain. Personally, I have two honorable discharge certificates with my name on them, dated 10 years apart.

Very true and I never thought about that angle. I have 3 honorable discharges. Every time I re enlisted the officer would hand me my discharge then ask "Now that you are a civilian is there anything you want to say to me?". I would just stand there with chit eating grin and say nothing, then take the oath.

That is what I was going to say. I have 3 HD papers, the first as a LCpl when I reenlisted.

Contact NARA and get Dad's records, they'll clear up the issue for you. Good luck@!

Thread Information