Eligibility
Closed Thread

Thread: Eligibility

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Eligibility

Before I start, I did read all the rules because I have the utmost respect for a Marine and the last thing I want to do is show any disrespect at all. I searched and found similar but not quite on the dot answers for my question so I'm hoping this is worthy of it's own topic. I am eighteen years old, I was charged with a possession charge for less than four grams of marijuana when I was seventeen. It was labeled as a misdemeanor and I had a fine that has been paid. Since this I've totally learned my lesson and reshaped my life, I live with the regret of this everyday because it's like a dark cloud that follows me. After I turned things around I did a lot of research over time into every military branch and decided the only one I show a real interest for is the Marine Corps. I want to enlist in the USMC because I want to better myself, further the discipline I've gained so far, but most importantly I want to serve, protect, and give back to the country that has done so much for me. I know all branches do this to an extent but the challenge and commitment the Marine Corps demands is like no other and I would be making the biggest difference. This being said I set out on my journey to physically prepare myself for the Marine Corps dropping forty eight pounds and transforming lots of body fat for the sole purpose I would like to believe that I am committed and want to become a part of this very badly. Anyways not trying to waste people's time here with my life story my question is; would my previous possession misdemeanor hinder all hopes of me one day becoming a Marine? I have heard sides that waivers were currently available from the Marine Corps for this and also that they are not being offered and the regulations change back and forth with time. But I searched all around the web and could not find a better place to ask because I'm tired of getting answers from non-Marines or civilians. So thank you very much for your time and any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    Jason

Your best bet would be to talk with a recruiter because only he/she could give you an on-the-dot answer to your question. Us here on the forum can say this or say that, but when it comes down to you getting or not getting a waiver for something it is all dependent on your particular recruiting station and how your crime is interpreted by the Marines there. Go contact your local recruiter and let us know how it goes.

If you are only going to require the waiver for the possession then it will not be an issue at all. We are receiving approved waivers for possession on a consistent basis here. Work with your Recruiter to gather all the required documentation and you should not have a problem.

Best of luck to you.

Sounds like you learned your lesson. The USMC may or may not give you a second chance. Only way to know is ask (your recruiter).

Let us know what you find out (may answer the same question for others).

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your time guys, I will update when I get my answer.

Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Stimpsanity View Post
    Thanks for your time guys, I will update when I get my answer.
    Marines are not "guys". They should always be referred to as Marines. Why earn the title if you are justing going to be a guy?

The guys and dudes are back on the block with Jody...just so you know.

Credits
    Savings
    My mistake, you won't see it happen again. Sorry for the disrespect.

Top didn't take it that way, he was just giving a minor correction. Asked and answered!

Thread Information