Marines,

I've searched the site and all over google for the answers I'm looking for with no luck. I was hoping there are some trackers out there that could help me out.

I got out of the Marines in May 2012 as a Corporal but was promoted to Sgt in the IRR. I was supply by MOS, but rarely did supply. I served in a multitude of other logistic billets in my 4 years.

I have recently talked with a prior service recruiter in the Houston area about putting the uniform back on, but in a reservist status. The only options open for reservists in my area are AAV crewman or AAV mechs.

While in Afghanistan in 2009-2010 I got attached to 3rd platoon, Bravo company, 2nd tracks doing security patrols in Marjah. There were no tracks in Afghanistan, we were in MRAPs, MATVs and doing foot patrols. I really respected those guys and had a great time serving with them.

So naturally, 1833 is something that grabs my attention. I wanted to do EOD or 0861 Forward Observer but those are not available options for me. I know about the training, requirements, etc for 1833 so I am not here to ask the generic questions.

My questions are as follows:

1) how would an NCO that is inexperienced in the MOS be accepted amongst other crewmen? Obviously some of this is dictated by the person you are, how you act, etc...but what would the overall impression be? As in, with grunts having such high cutting scores, if you are an 0311 NCO you have done multiple deployments and have a lot of experience and earned your respect. If a Cpl or Sgt was to lat-move into 0311, he would have a very hard time being accepted.

2) What is the mission like for reservist trackers? I understand reservist life in general, but does anyone here have any experience in or have friends in 4th AAV Bn?

3) What is the future look like for 1833s? I know there used to be some talk about EFVs replacing the AAVs but I don't know enough about that. I don't want to go into an MOS that looks like it will be replaced in the near future. Ideally, I would love to go back to Afghanistan before we are all out. Are AAV BNs still being deployed to serve in security roles?

Thanks for any input, gentlemen,