The Marine Corps Chow Hall - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Somebody said there is no Tabasco?????? Texas Pete???? We all know what comes from Texas. This really must be a new Corps with no Tabasco

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In my day (71-77), I can't remember a bad meal in a Marine Corps chow hall. I can remember bad ones in Navy, Army, and Air Force facilities. I thought the food in boot camp was good (or maybe I was just so damned hungry).

I think I mentioned this before, but when I was at Iwakuni sometime in the 74-75 time range, they shut down the officer's Closed Mess (their chow hall) for renovations. Officers ate at the Mainside enlisted chow hall on the NCO side. When their Closed Mess was ready to re-open, the officers almost mutinied as enlisted food was better, in larger quantities, and they could get seconds without having to pay again. I ate regularly with officers during that time and they did nothing but complain about the Closed Mess food.

I never had any problems that I can remember. I usually got plenty to eat. Specially on Saturday morning brunch. I remember one morning I had several steaks and 1/2 dozen eggs over easy, plenty of toast and juice, no don't remember any problem in the fleet. Boot Camp? Well let's just say you had to eat fast.

Never saw a chow hall without it. I always kept a bottle or two just in case.

This brings back a lot of good memories. In boot camp they thought they had to "beef" me up a bit. Extra potatoes at every meal and double cottage cheese at lunch anc dinner and I had to finish everything. If I didn't while toehers were getting rid of their trays I would stand there eating as fast as I could. I hated cottage cheese and now it's one of my favorite things. Those DIs really went out trying to bulk me up and I put on a whole 5 lbs when I left boot. LOL.Now how many of you remember mid rats? Since I was comm we had to be on the list so we could go to the chow hall 24/7 and get food. And boy did those cooks take care of us. Sometimes lunch at 2AM or breakfast at 6PM. Best time I had in the Corps was eating but that's the best time I have now and still can't put on weight.

Credits
    Savings
    Good for you if you have difficulty gaining weight-----
    most of us "old farts" have to watch what we eat. LOL

ah yes !
    the Corps had excellent chow.
    as young pups we couldnt wait to get Pogey Bait --didn't realize how good we had it.

We had great chow, they were drying to put weight on me. I only weighed 108 lbs and when I left boot camp I weighed 113, the DI's weighed me all the time. As I've said before, I went to the chow hall on Sunday mornings. I had to wear my complete uniform, they served eggs, steak and melon. Also potatoes if that's what you wanted. Great food always. Semper Fi Sheila Hays.

Credits
    Savings

Marine chow

I was in 70-74 and never did get a refusal for any type of food I held my tray out for. I also remember that you could make as many trips as we wanted to through the chow line. The food was always good and provided the energy I needed till the next meal. even most of the C-Rats in nam was pretty good except those ham and eggs. If you were in line and there was 2 boxes of c-rats left you knew you were getting ham and eggs. We always had Marines that fixed and served our food at every base that I was stationed at except for the c-rats in nam. THANKS TO ALL THE MARINE COOKS THAT SERVED ME SO WELL OVER MY YEARS IN THE MARINE CORPS.

Last edited by rufus1; 05-04-12 at 07:10 AM. Reason: typing errors

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingcrops View Post
    This brings back a lot of good memories. In boot camp they thought they had to "beef" me up a bit. Extra potatoes at every meal and double cottage cheese at lunch anc dinner and I had to finish everything. If I didn't while toehers were getting rid of their trays I would stand there eating as fast as I could. I hated cottage cheese and now it's one of my favorite things. Those DIs really went out trying to bulk me up and I put on a whole 5 lbs when I left boot. LOL.Now how many of you remember mid rats? Since I was comm we had to be on the list so we could go to the chow hall 24/7 and get food. And boy did those cooks take care of us. Sometimes lunch at 2AM or breakfast at 6PM. Best time I had in the Corps was eating but that's the best time I have now and still can't put on weight.
    MID RATS? The term just makes me cringe! Standing the late watch at the Brig or Correctional Facility the guard force was just as confined as the people they were watching. Mid Rats were provided, however, the quality was less than stellar. A "box lunch" including a "Donkey D**k" and cheese sandwich and a piece of fruit was the typical menu. We never got a hot meal after the Chow Hall closed for the day.

I was in between 1960-64. The food was pretty good, but the best chow was on a Navy ship! At our mess halls though, there was always plenty of food and reasonable variety of food. The one story that I'll share though is, We were making eggs for breakfast and we had dropped several cartons of powdered eggs into this huge pot, adding water as we went. After almost filling up this pot, mixing as we filled it up, the Mess Sergeant told up to dump 4 dozen eggs into this pot, shells and all. I asked why the shells, and his answer was "This makes them think that we are serving fresh eggs". I thought that was kind of fun. Semper Fi

I remember mid-rats in Rota quite well. If we called out for delivery of mid-rats, the box lunches were what we got. As stated above, mystery meat and waxy cheese on a dry bun, and a piece of fruit. Small bag of chips if there were any to be had. We caught on that we really needed to send someone out for the rats, and they would cook us up what we called "left-over omelets" and all the fresh eggs and hash browns we could handle. The omelets usually contained whatever meats had been served at lunch and evening chow. Lots of tobasco and ketchup and we were eating like kings!

Quote Originally Posted by ridingcrops View Post
    Somebody said there is no Tabasco?????? Texas Pete???? We all know what comes from Texas. This really must be a new Corps with no Tabasco
    Speaking of Tabasco Pepper Sauce there was a Col McIlhenny in the Marines during WW2. He was a grandson to McIlhenny who started the Tabasco Co. He served with the OSS. Also there was a CPT. Walker who was the CO. of I battery 3/12 during Vietnam. He was in line to be the CEO of Walker Whiskey Co. All of his pay checks went to Navy Releaf.

Quote Originally Posted by YLDNDN6 View Post
    I remember mid-rats in Rota quite well. If we called out for delivery of mid-rats, the box lunches were what we got. As stated above, mystery meat and waxy cheese on a dry bun, and a piece of fruit. Small bag of chips if there were any to be had. We caught on that we really needed to send someone out for the rats, and they would cook us up what we called "left-over omelets" and all the fresh eggs and hash browns we could handle. The omelets usually contained whatever meats had been served at lunch and evening chow. Lots of tobasco and ketchup and we were eating like kings!
    Mid-rats at Marine Barricks Hawthorne, Nev. was our best meal of the day. Lots of times that was stake and eggs.

You guys make me hungry thinking about all the great chow we had. I remember some of the best food was while with the Navy but I think the best was at Air Force base outside Tokyo. One of the best burgers I ever had, beer in the soda machine for like .25, and ice cream in the machine like popsicles, fudgesycles and such. And I think to this day all the Corps chow halls have is those cups of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. Probably to keep us ticked off and take it out on whoever they send us after. LMFAO Oh, beer only after hours.

Funny thing is that you can only have 1 plate at a time. You'll see people get something and put their tray down and grab more food. I really don't understand the concept. Yes 1 starch, veggie, protein per plate but you can grab as many plates as you like.. Why not just serve it and move on. At first I thought this was going to compare chowhalls sadly I wont be able to say how Jim Crowe was the worst ever.

Thread Information