The Marine Corps Chow Hall - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CplVex View Post
    I'm only asking for peoples opinion on what they think with the fact you can't get whats being served on the line.
    My first thought's: ~*_$)(#!. Alright, i'll play the mans game and stagger food groups through-out the day.

But my underlying plan would always be: Who's got the huss? and how do i get in on it....

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Belly Robbers were always the best friends of Supply personnel.
    Yep, all us H&S Marines stuck together !

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    My first thought's: ~*_$)(#!. Alright, i'll play the mans game and stagger food groups through-out the day.

But my underlying plan would always be: Who's got the huss? and how do i get in on it....

"Who got the huss"

Haven't heard that one in a lt of years.

I think they started doing civilians in Marine chow halls in 1989 or 1990. I remember the transition and the reason behind it made sense. The Corps spend tons of money training people to do their jobs, then once a year for E-3 and below, these guys would get stuck on mess duty for 30 days of thankless work. Hiring civilians was supposed to be less expensive and better for morale.

I remember at Parris Island, we ate whatever they put on our tray. I didn't care, I was always hungry. When I got to MCRD San Diego, I got up early and put on my uniform. We were served steak and eggs, best meal of the week If I ran out of money, I always made it to the chow hall.
    We got taco's at the EM club for 25 cents, I made rank as fast as possible. Also if you are dating another Marine, he would take me out to dinner or brunch. Semper Fi

I see the last time someone posted on this thread was last year. But I'll comment anyway. First thank you Swamp Fox for the kind words about our chow hall food. :-)
    Civilians started working earlier than 89 - 90. At least at Lejeune- French Creek. I want to say it was in 1988, because in '89 I had my oldest son and they had been working there for quite awhile. The first company contracted was Moore's Cafeteria. I can't remember when they took finally took over the cooking duties on Mainside or over at Johnson.

As for the portions, food choices. THAT is not the civilian's fault. I remember quite often the verbal abuse from the guys on the other side of the line when our Marine Messmen had to tell them it was a choice between starch and vegetable. And even when we supported them, the guys on the other side of the line chewed us out as well. It wasn't our choice nor was it due to cost, it was part of the menu set up if you will. Can't rightly remember off hand which manual it came out of, but it was HQ FS MC.

However with that said, we cooks sometime broke those rules at our discretion. Of course the time of the meal came into play and exactly how much of that item remained. My era, after graduating school was Feb 1983-Nov 1992 working in the chow hall.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There are Two Marines You don't wanna P**S off a Parachute Rigger and a USMC Cook...cause I'm telling Yah both of them can really Ruin your Day!!!If you know where I'm coming from? Semper Fi

LOL Absolutely!!! I can tell you a few horror stories the guys used to tell me about how cooks got even. As for the parachute rigger....I've got a great imagination!

Very interesting thread, to see how time changes. I was wondering what happened to the Field Chow halls, are they also run by civilians?

Back in the day you could get what you wnated and go back for seconds on vegetables bread and potaotes but never meat. But then we had KP and we had our own cooks and we, like the other service branches took care of ourselves. Now for some reason, I suspect to help out political friends, they farm that stuff out.

For your thesis I would make it that the Marine Corps should go to a more choice based chow hall menu while maintaining the same physical standards (I mean, it makes sense). For your arguments I would use the idea of Marine welfare (happy Marines = good), economic impact (we pay for those meals!) and nutritional value (why can't you have green beans AND carrots??).

Well here at Quantico I've never had problems getting two starches. I had pasta and potatoes with my chicken at lunch today plus you can get seconds, thirds, fourths and so on. Now when at MOS school for 6 months on an Army base you couldn't even get seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by carrvy1 View Post
    Very interesting thread, to see how time changes. I was wondering what happened to the Field Chow halls, are they also run by civilians?

Hmm. Not sure what you are referring to in regards to "Field Chow hall." To me the image I get from Field Chow hall is The GP tent housing the field ranges , m2 burners , etc. If you're refering to the Chow halls for example at French Creek- 8th Engines, H&S and LSB, they were run with Marine Cooks the last I knew and that was 1992 when my EAS rolled around. I'm going to assume they still are.

Now before we were deployed to DS/DS ( or was it while in country? Can't rightly remember the exact time frame of that) we were introduced to the field mobile kitchen, which to me looked like a pop up camper without amenities and bunks but all kitchen. That was staffed by 1 Marine cook and a couple of Marine messman. I don't remember the ratio of how many troops that one field kitchen could feed, but I think it was 1 Marine per 100 to 500 troops. Again, I apologize for my fuzzy memory I haven't shared things in over 20 years so my recollection maybe slightly off on the things I didn't routinely participate in.

The worst time of my life in the Corps, was when they put me on mess duty. I was low man on the totem pole as far as rank, I was a Pfc. As I have said before I made rank quickly. I got the measles, did all the things you have to do before they send you to the hospital. Went back to my barracks, changed my uniform, went into the office and checked out of the barracks. I had to walk back to the Dr. again got permission to go to the hospital, I went back to the mess hall and checked out. I went back to the Dr. and climbed into the back of an ambulance. The Marines had me breathe on them as they went thru the line, they wanted to get the measles also. By the way I had to help serve breakfast before I went to the Dr. I lived, I got five days of sleep and good food, I also had a Navy corpman sitting by my bed every night. I hated the Navy at the time. Semper Fi.

I really liked the food at MCRD San Diego.

Thread Information