The Marine Corps Chow Hall
Create Post
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

The Marine Corps Chow Hall

Hey whats up everyone. I got a question for any single Marine or anyone who's ever eaten at the chow hall.

Heres some background first. I'm in a writing class that I attend after work and we have to write an augmentative essay. A few days ago I was in the line for chow and I was told I couldn't get potatoes because I have noodles and I couldn't get green beans because I had carrots. Well, I didn't really care but I do however believe that I could write a paper about the fact that the chow hall wont serve Marines what they ask for. I could understand maybe someone who's on BCP and they limit what they can get but I make weight and get first class everything so I'm not in the category.

Heres where I need some help. I'm just looking for you're opinion on the matter. Do you think it's strange that you can't get what you want at the chow hall? Why? I mean, we do pay for it. Marines PT so it shouldn't be weight issues. Any and all input would appreciated.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    1 starch, 1 veggie, and 1 protein

I never understood this and think its complete garbage. Especially for Marine like myself that need as much caloric intake as possible in order to stay at a healthy weight. Obviously there is a reasoning behind it that some heavy brass came up with. My biggest problem with it is...who are these nasty civilian chow hall workers that they get to tell us what we can or cannot eat. They need to keep their mouths shut and put on my plate whatever I want.

I'm sure it's a cost issue; don't think all the messhalls can afford to be buffet style. The civilian servers are just following procedures; if it were up to them I'm sure they would give you whatever you wanted.

#1 where is this chow hall at? I have a problem with you not getting what you want. Is this a Marine chow hall? The thing to do is go to your 1st Sgt and tell him. I remember when I had the duty NCO we were required to go to evening chow and write in the log book what we thought about the meal. If you wrote something bad about the chow and the next morning when the 1st read the log he would ask you about it and if he thought it was something that should be corrected you the 1et and the skipper went to the mess sgt. and it would be corrected at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    #1 where is this chow hall at? I have a problem with you not getting what you want. Is this a Marine chow hall? The thing to do is go to your 1st Sgt and tell him. I remember when I had the duty NCO we were required to go to evening chow and write in the log book what we thought about the meal. If you wrote something bad about the chow and the next morning when the 1st read the log he would ask you about it and if he thought it was something that should be corrected you the 1et and the skipper went to the mess sgt. and it would be corrected at that time.
    While I was active (2004-2008) that was the job of the OOD, not the DNCO.

But yes, we could never get double starches, double veggies or double meats. It's the system that's in place at Marine Corps chow halls, else Marines would be smashing through chicken cordon bleau at breathtaking rates. Yut!

I never had any problem getting whatever I wanted.

I could've stuffed my face with a dozen pieces of cake and pie if I wanted.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CplVex View Post
    Hey whats up everyone. I got a question for any single Marine or anyone who's ever eaten at the chow hall.

Heres some background first. I'm in a writing class that I attend after work and we have to write an augmentative essay. A few days ago I was in the line for chow and I was told I couldn't get potatoes because I have noodles and I couldn't get green beans because I had carrots. Well, I didn't really care but I do however believe that I could write a paper about the fact that the chow hall wont serve Marines what they ask for. I could understand maybe someone who's on BCP and they limit what they can get but I make weight and get first class everything so I'm not in the category.

Heres where I need some help. I'm just looking for you're opinion on the matter. Do you think it's strange that you can't get what you want at the chow hall? Why? I mean, we do pay for it. Marines PT so it shouldn't be weight issues. Any and all input would appreciated.
    I think you mean an "argumentative" essay.

When I was in the Corps (71-78), as I remember, we pretty much got whatever we wanted and could go back for seconds and thirds as well. Portion sizes were decent and I never ate in a bad Marine Corps chow hall (can't say that about the Army, Navy, and Air Force). Of course, back then, Marines ran everything in the chow hall. I think that's how it should still be.

I wondered how long it would take for the civilians working in the Chow Halls to start this kind of BS. When civilians are involved in anything, it really does not take very long for it o turn into a Chinese Fire Drill. Go to your First Shirt and if he cannot help you take it on up the chain to Request Mast. hese are the kind of things that the CG does not know about and I am sure he would like to know that his Marines are not getting enough food at the mess hall.

Hey Lazy Ass Boot ----why Dont You Just Go Up For Seconds Or Thirds------ boots want to argue about everything,, till they get pimped slapped old school style

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicemang View Post
    ..else Marines would be smashing through chicken cordon bleau at breathtaking rates. Yut!
    hahahahaha..

i literally laughed out loud and almost spit my soda all over my computer

Just like a lot of other things in the Corps, its a broken system but it is what it is for a reason. That reason is obviously beyond almost all of us but the little steps need to be taken to fix it.

I agree...Go to the first shirt...he will do something if it has merit. You do have merit. My Battalion Commander was always asking "How's the chow" it was his pet peeve. He actually stood in line with the enlisted once in a while and caught us coming out the door a couple times.

Officers...Especially on ships. Eat like Kings.

How do I know?

I asked for mess duty every chance I could. I ate very well as a result. You may get the pot shack or scullery at first. But the more duty you pull? The better jobs you will get. You also get higher appearance and conduct marks working in the chow hall than in your grunt unit (I'm 0351)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Go to the ville, buy a 25 cent huge plate o fried rice. Guess I dated myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I'm sure it's a cost issue; don't think all the messhalls can afford to be buffet style. The civilian servers are just following procedures; if it were up to them I'm sure they would give you whatever you wanted.
    Thing is, you can go up as much as you want. You just can't pick the combo of stuff you want.

Well, speaking as a Marine Cook (1962-65) things must have certainly changed. Back in the day, we served as much as anyone requested (within reason) with no restrictions as to what they could or could not have. I agree, if civilians are running the messhalls now, then it will certainly be a clusterf---!

Being Picky!!!!!

I stand in " AWE " reading some of the comments about being served food in the chow hall. Surely some of my BROTHERS on this site enlisted before me and went to P.I. ( 28 May 1965 ).
    When we were in line at the chow hall, it was with our tray held directly in front of our face and when coming to the server the tray was lowered to a special level and it and arms extended straight out and retracted when the item was placed on the tray. Arriving at our table we all stood with our trays straight out at attention until other recruits filled the table. Then one of the DI's would come over and yell, " Ready, seats ". Many times repeating this telling us " girls " to get it together. I DID NOT ATTEND A " BOOT CAMP " WHERE ANYONE CHOSE THEIR FOOD but instead seldomn got to finish it.
    I am shocked beyond believe to read the contents of the chow hall post.

SEMPER FIDELIS BROTHERS,
    Vietvet1968@comcast.net
    Roger Dale Stewart

Thread Information