Going to Okinawa
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going to Okinawa

Any advice for a 25 year old PFC headed to Okinawa? I'm at FMS school here at Camp Johnson and I graduate in march. From what I hear I'm going to be frustrated with the moron teenagers there, so it probably won't be that much different then Johnson. But, any advice and/or tips would be appreciated. One question I have is about my phone, I have an iPhone 4 with skype, would it be a good idea to take it with me?

Get use to being called an Okinawan Cherry Boy,lol, my best diuy station by far, let the good times roll, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When you meet the 'Coe' sisters,,, make sure to shower with rubbing alcohol. Saved my azz.

Im sorry... I will soon leave this rock

Quote Originally Posted by Switchfire6 View Post
    Im sorry... I will soon leave this rock
    Didn't like it, huh. Like any duty station, it does get to you after a while.

But overall I would have to admit that I had a blast in Oki, both tours -- but it's not for everyone. I took it as a chance to find out something about a place with tons of history that I would never go to as a civilian without paying mad loot. I did a lot of scuba diving -- hundreds of dives, I spent a lot of time doing tours of the island, did some searching in old caves, lots of hiking and mountain biking. I still did plenty of clubbing in Kadena when we were allowed to socialize with chicks from other branches, but basically I took every libo opportunity as a chance to learn something new.

Of course I drank my brains out, got in a little trouble, but overall it was a lot of fun and now I wish I took more pictures/video.

Oki is what you make it, then again life is.

I would recommend that you get out as much as you can, take advantage of the USO tours and freebies - just don't sit around drinking beers from the beer machine in the barracks -- you can do that anywhere.

Have fun, be safe, stay out of trouble, and don't be the ugly American.

Who are your orders to? I like Oki, but it does tend to suck some as your kept on a pretty short leash. Your iPhone is basically an iPod touch over here, it doesn't work on the Japanese networks. Softbank (japanese at&t) offers iPhone service. If you have any specific questions, drop me a line and I'll do my best to help.

Thanks for all the responses, I have no clue where I'm assigned to, my instructor just told us where we were headed to after this place. As soon as I get more details I'll post them up.

Credits
    Savings
    WOW Good times
    leave your phone at home

You a 32 or a 51. I know a couple 51's I went to school with that went to oki. A couple of them got sent on 6 month tours to south korea

Quote Originally Posted by RocketCutlass View Post
    Any advice for a 25 year old PFC headed to Okinawa? I'm at FMS school here at Camp Johnson and I graduate in march. From what I hear I'm going to be frustrated with the moron teenagers there, so it probably won't be that much different then Johnson. But, any advice and/or tips would be appreciated. One question I have is about my phone, I have an iPhone 4 with skype, would it be a good idea to take it with me?

First thing to do is go finish filling in your profile. FMS is financial right? Not sure because I don't know your MOS #, anyway. I would venture to guess that you will be stationed on Camp Kinser or Camp Foster; unless you get assigned to a specific unit. These two bases are right where the action is. Good and bad.

My advice is to get a good camera and take as many pictures as you can. Take the base to base buses to each of the other bases they all have an interesting niche about them. Don't wait for an invitation to go up to Okuma, it's our R&R spot and it's really awesome. When you get to the rock invest in a set of flippers and snorkel; DO NOT forgo getting the dive gloves and dive booties, unless you enjoy tiny bits of this and that growing under your skin. See if you can find someone who's short who is looking to get rid of theirs.

For good eats, the USO, on Camp Schwab, has (had?) the BEST Philly cheese steak hoggy on the planet. If you want a good steak go to Jack's place of Kadena Airforce base; may still be there. Find out where Dragons is outside of Camp Foster for an amazing Yakisoba and other great food.

That's all I have for now.

Semper Fi!

Well the only 32 I knew from oki was in mongolia with me and he was so weird that the local women didnt want to touch him. Just goes to show even Mongolians hate gingers.

Lmao, poor guy. Well I filled out my profile info, sorry about that. Thanks lonewolf for all the tips. I definitely want to get into diving. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Koza, BC street, Kinville, massages, hookers, Nay-sans, Mamma-sans, lizards on the ceiling of the barracks, Shuri Castle, The Japanese Botanical Gardens. Like someone earlier said, buy a camera and take tons of pictures/photographic memories. Mojo on a street corner when you're broke before payday. Aw the memories.

One thing I would recommend. Buy a car while you are there. One you can go to a dealership back in the states and pick up. I wasted my time/money buying cheap stereo equipment. Wish I had done the car thing instead. SF

When I was there in 65 it depended on the fleet. If the fleet was not in everything was cheap. When the fleet was in the price went up to $20.00.

Thread Information