Pullup Help
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pullup Help

Pullup Help

I'm currently attending college and am hoping to join the Marines after I graduate. The problem I'm having is with pullups. I weigh 205lbs and stand at 6'4.5", so pullups are already difficult. For some reason, my pull ups will alternate between 3-6 depending on the day. I'm trying to go officer, and as such I need a minimum of 8 pull ups. Does anyone have advice they can offer? Is the change in pull ups likely due to the time of day I work out (usually evenings) or how much work I've done in the day? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Side Note: I'm posting this here because I do not qualify as a Poolee since I have not yet contracted or been able to complete the process to go to PLC.

Only way to get better is to do them, and often. Try this, when I was a Poolee I DEP'd in with 7 pullups, and was doing 20 by boot
    http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html

From what I know 8 Pullups will not cut it in OCS. I thought in order to get into OCS you need a Min of a 225 on the PFT and way higher to be competeive. Every 2nd Lt I have came accross was a PT god.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcmsf View Post
    Only way to get better is to do them, and often. Try this, when I was a Poolee I DEP'd in with 7 pullups, and was doing 20 by boot
    http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html
    According to this you start by doing 6 on day one, 5 the next and so on. My question for you is did you only do the amount of pull ups it said to do, or did you do it with other things like pyramids? I ask this because a little everyday seems like a really good idea. It will give your arms a good day to recoup between "sets."

Quote Originally Posted by Marine3451 View Post
    From what I know 8 Pullups will not cut it in OCS. I thought in order to get into OCS you need a Min of a 225 on the PFT and way higher to be competeive. Every 2nd Lt I have came accross was a PT god.
    I wouldn't say that, we had a butter bars that was far from that, our SDI would have called him a hog body,, Semper Fidelis.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    8 pull up minimum for OCS?.....hahahahahaha

if you aren't doing at least 15, your not even going to be considered. Every potential candidate I have ever see including myself from 2005 till now has been doing their 20 and then some, you have to be running a 1st class PFT just to be considered and within the 280-300 range to be competitive. Which means you need to be doing 20 pull ups, 100 crunches, and around or under 20minutes on the run.

That all said, the only real way to get good at pull ups is to start doing them every day. I do a max set every day and then also lift back once a week. Lateral pull downs are your friend

I already have full score on Crunches, my run time is gradually decreasing from 23min, but pull-ups are my Achilles' heel. The OSO assistant told me I needed a minimum of 8 pullups to send out my package for PLC, though I know that won't be enough to get by on. It's been suggested to me to have a minimum score of 240 to be competitive. Also, I've been basing my number of pullups on how many I can do fresh (before I workout). I then workout more upper body workouts.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    I already have full score on Crunches, my run time is gradually decreasing from 23min, but pull-ups are my Achilles' heel. The OSO assistant told me I needed a minimum of 8 pullups to send out my package for PLC, though I know that won't be enough to get by on. It's been suggested to me to have a minimum score of 240 to be competitive. Also, I've been basing my number of pullups on how many I can do fresh (before I workout). I then workout more upper body workouts.
    240 to be competitive?...got some weak numbers where your at.

When I put my package together back in 05/06 I ran one of the lowest scores out of the group of other candidates and I was at a 280.

Just letting you know even if you do get selected with those kind of numbers you are going to be in for a rude awakening when you go to OCS and will be way behind your peer group.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf121 View Post
    According to this you start by doing 6 on day one, 5 the next and so on. My question for you is did you only do the amount of pull ups it said to do, or did you do it with other things like pyramids? I ask this because a little everyday seems like a really good idea. It will give your arms a good day to recoup between "sets."
    You do all whole amount for each week, 5-6 times a week. So for week one, your 1st set is 6, 2nd set is 5 and on down the list for your 5 total sets. Week 2 your 1st set is 7 etc etc. Each week it adds one more to the max and a few more for your total set. You can do them every other day or what works for you, but I usually did them 5-6 times a week and got good results.

Your problem is you keep shooting for minimum scores, you have mentioned that three times already. That word and the word that is spelled like c unt but only with a "a" instead of a "u" -- is non-existent in my vocabulary.

Marines are not about minimum standards. You need to do a 180 with your mindset, like right now.

Start focusing on what you can do to max out; not shoot for the minimum.

Besides with competition the way it is these days, like the other Marines have said - you are not going far if you can only do 8 pull ups and a do a 240pft.

Good luck.

I'm currently attending college and am hoping to join the Marines after I graduate. The problem I'm having is with pullups. I weigh 205lbs and stand at 6'4.5", so pullups are already difficult. For some reason, my pull ups will alternate between 3-6 depending on the day. I'm trying to go officer, and as such I need a minimum of 8 pull ups. Does anyone have advice they can offer? Is the change in pull ups likely due to the time of day I work out (usually evenings) or how much work I've done in the day? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Side Note: I'm posting this here because I do not qualify as a Poolee since I have not yet contracted or been able to complete the process to go to PLC.
    A good pull-up can be done 2-3 days in a row. If you go 3 days you should take 2 days off.

If you are considered over weight try and loose weight will help progress your pull-ups. Also try Chin-ups since they are allowed. Pull-ups come with time and consistency

When training for pull-ups don't train to failure if you know you can't do another or will only get half way, save that energy for your next set. On the other hand once or every two weeks try and do as many as you can to failure.

Change up your routine each time you do them

Do sets of your max number of complete reps until you can't get 1 full rep.
    use plenty of rest. not to failure.

Once you can do 10 see how fast you can get 40 reps and try and improve on your time.

Add weight it might be only 2.5 - 5 lbs but do a couple of sets with it. you could see results when the weight comes off.

I only quickly perused this thread and many good tips are provided.

Pullups are difficult for many and not to be totally confused with chin-ups.
    If chin-ups are easier for you then maybe that will be your good fortune.
    Pull ups are a back movement and chin-ups incorporate more of the biceps.

Now...if you do want to stay with pull up work you can do lat pulls also to strengthen that muscle group.
    Or, pull yourself up on the first one and let yourself down as slowly as possible.
    As mentioned, one does not need to go to failure to improve on the movement.
    One you decide on what will work in your case you will see improvement quicker than you anticipate at this time.
    Getting good at pull up means just doing more of them in whatever way will work for you.

Good luck....

Hmm, I'd say your other achille's heel is the run. 23 minutes translates to a 7:40 pace. Dude, I have girls I coach who run cross-country courses that involve hills for 5K in mid 18s and 19s. You seriously need to get on a running program. Anything consistent is better than nothing, but a pretty basic intermediate plan is at: http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kinter.htm

As far as pull-ups, you need total body strength, not just pulls ups. I finished boot camp with 13 pull ups. I started weightlifting, just a general all around plan for upper and lower body and went to 17. I did no pull ups during this time. Then I started powerlifting: The bench press, deadlift, and squat. In addition did a lot of tricep work and lat pull downs. I usually did 24 or 25 because I would do them so fast a few wouldn't count, so I'd keep on pumping them out till I heard "20," then look down and confirm it, do one for the Corps, and then get off.

Lat pull downs will develop the muscles you utilize during the pull up, but you need to do a lot of tricep work, too, if you are doing pullups, hands over the top of the bar. If you are doing chin ups, grabbing the bar from the underside, you are going to use a lot of bicep and forearm. Deadlifts are awesome for developing overall body strength.

I would not just do pull ups every day. It will tear you down. It is the recovery phase that one actually gets their strength. So personally, if I did pull ups as part of my workout routine, I would limit it to twice a week, and the plan that was posted earlier about doing 6-5-4-3-2-1 one week, then the next week 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 sounds like a good one, though to be honest, when you get up to 15, that is going to be a bit tough.

I would instead do sets of 5 and repeats. In all honesty, though, if you want to go to be an officer, get into the gym and get into a weightlifting program initially for strength, sets of 10 to 12, and eventually increase weight until you can only do 5. Talk to a trainer, go on line and google weightlifting routines.

But seriously, you need to focus on getting your run time waaaay down, too.

I would stay away from lat pull downs if you are already able to do pull-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremistPullup View Post
    I would stay away from lat pull downs if you are already able to do pull-ups.
    I agree.....the lat pull downs would only be an option to begin with lighter increments until one CAN do pullups.
    Many ways for the OP to excel at them.
    Pull ups were always tough for me too.

(If you are already on the bb.com forum I've seen your vids and they are impressive.)

Carry on....

Thread Information