Sgt Wesley Rice, RIP
Create Post

Sgt Wesley Rice, RIP

The other day one my Marines and a good friend was laid to rest. His final hours were doing exacally what he was trained to do his entire career, unfortunetly things didn't work out and he didn't make it out. He leaves behind a wife and 8 month old child.

Wesley's dad can be found on Facebook, Robert Rice. His latest update of Wesley was:

"Today I buried my son, Sgt Wesley James Rice USMC, with full Military Honors. My heartfelt thanks to the Marine Corps and to all the family and friends for their love and support to those that could make it and to those that couldn't. His mission on earth is completed and his new mission is just begining. I love you son!"
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/military/article/A-lifesaver-is-remembered-982504.php

Thanks for everything Wesley, it was a pleasure serving with you, Semper Fi.

OCEANSIDE, Calif. — The Marine Corps identified the Marine killed Friday afternoon in an accident at Camp Pendleton, Calif., as Sgt. Wesley J. Rice.
    Rice, a 27-year-old instructor with Assault Amphibian School Battalion, died after the amphibious assault vehicle he was riding in sank about 11:30 a.m. in shallow water at the base’s Del Mar Boat Basin, base officials said.
    Rice, of San Antonio, Texas, was recovered from the AAV at about 2:15 p.m. and taken to Scripps La Jolla Medical Center in San Diego, where he was pronounced dead at 2:47 p.m., base officials said. Five other Marines in the vehicle at the time were able to get out of the vehicle before it became submerged and were not injured.

Several boats and rescue personnel including divers responded to the scene to assist the trapped Marine. “Unfortunately, we were unable to recover the Marine in time,” Maj. Daniel Thomas, executive officer of Assault Amphibian School Battalion, said Friday afternoon during a short press conference at the base’s main gate.
    Rice and other Marines were in one of two AAVP7 amtracs with the battalion when one of the vehicles sank about 11:30 a.m. during a training run as part of the Basic Vehicle Repairman Course in the Del Mar Boat Basin, located in the base’s southwest section next to Oceanside city harbor.
    Rice was in one vehicle along with two other instructors and three Marines who were students in the course. “For them, this was their initial driving training operation,” Thomas said. The amtrac sank in about 30 to 40 feet of water.
    Rice was a trained amphibious assault vehicle crewman and had completed two combat deployments to Iraq, base officials said. He had earned several military awards and decorations including the Combat Action Ribbon.
    The battalion halted the training as the investigation began into what happened while other planned exercises would continue as scheduled, although “we are going to take a look at this,” Thomas said.
    The amtrac remained in the water a few hours after the mishap and was expected to be pulled ashore as the investigation continues.
    “It’s a safe vehicle,” Thomas said, in response to a reporter’s question. “It has nothing to do with age.”
    SAN DIEGO -- Friends of the Marine who died in a training accident off Camp Pendleton on Friday are remembering him as a hero.

Nichole Martinez said she grew up with Sgt. Wesley Rice in San Antonio and went to high school with him.

"He was definitely a leader," said Martinez. "He loved helping people; he loved teaching people. I mean, he would take the shirt off of his back for someone else. He's just that kind of person."

Rice, who served twice in Iraq as an assault amphibious vehicle crewman, was an instructor at the Assault Amphibian School Battalion and was one of six Marines on board an amphibious assault vehicle when it sank Friday in the Del Mar river basin.

Five of the Marines made it out, but Rice was trapped inside. Martinez said she learned Rice died a hero through a mutual friend of the family.

"His father had found out that he helped two fellow Marines get out and unfortunately, he got stuck and he couldn't get out," she said.

Nearly three hours later, divers found the Marine but could not revive him.

Rice leaves behind a wife and a 6-month-old baby girl.

It's also clear that the love and respect for Rice extended beyond his fellow Marines. Many posted their sentiments on Facebook, including one former classmate who wrote, "He was a hero and will be surely missed. Semper Fi Wesley -- Semper Fi."

"He loved helping others," said Martinez. "I really believe that's what he lived for -- helping others."

Rice's father also released a statement on Facebook. It read in part, "Wesley served proudly and loved his wife and baby daughter very much. I honor him today and forever. I am so proud of you son."

Military investigators are working to determine the cause of the accident and are investigating safety procedures.
    Sgt. Wesley Rice lived to serve his fellow man, God and country, his mother said, so it seemed tragically fitting to her that he died saving fellow Marines when their amphibious assault vehicle sank during training in California last week.
    The surviving five Marines told Rice's relatives that their instructor pushed them out of the vehicle as it became submerged Friday morning but wasn't able to save himself.
    Rice, 27, an Iraq war veteran and San Antonio native, was freed from the vehicle in a San Diego-area harbor by divers and flown to Scripps Memorial Hospital in San Diego, where he was pronounced dead, according to a news release from Marine Corps officials at Camp Pendleton.
    “We were so proud of him, and I really appreciate what he did,” said his mother, Linda Rice of San Antonio, by telephone Sunday. “It's so heartbreaking to think he went to Iraq, came home, and then this tragic accident happened.”
    Officials investigating the accident are looking into what caused the vehicle to become submerged.
    Rice, a 2002 Fox Tech High School alumnus, joined the Marines shortly after high school, his mother said. He was deployed to Iraq in 2006 for a seven-month tour, she said, and he went on a noncombat tour to the Mediterranean.
    His mother said he was extremely dedicated to the Marines, which he would say were better than the Army when jesting with his father, Robert, an Army staff sergeant.
    Among Rice's duties as sergeant was instructing Marines on how to operate amphibious assault vehicles, his mother said.
    “He loved what the Marines stood for,” Linda Rice said. “My son had a big heart, and he just loved human beings.”
    During his military service, Rice was awarded the Combat Action Ribbon, National Defense Service Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and two Sea Service Deployment ribbons, officials said.
    For the past two years, Rice had been stationed at Camp Pendleton, where he lived with his wife, Lesley.
    Seven months ago, the couple became the parents of a daughter, Gabrielle.
    “He just adored her,” Rice's mother said.
    Lesley Rice, 25, declined to comment.
    Word of the Marine's death spread quickly on Facebook, where Rice's classmates from Fox Tech shared their shock and grief.

“I can't believe it,” said Irma Aguilar, 25, who said Rice used to date a friend of hers. “But that's him. He always helps everybody before himself. He never wanted to see anybody depressed, and he was just a really good guy.”

After surviving Iraq, Sgt. Wesley Rice died Jan. 14 saving five fellow Marines when their amphibious assault vehicle sank during a training exercise in a San Diego-area harbor.

The survivors said Rice, their instructor, pushed them out of the vehicle as it sank but could not save himself.

The San Antonio native, 27, was buried Thursday at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Rest in Peace Sgt. May the good Lord watch over your family at this time of grief

It hurts to read the articles and look at the pictures of his family

Vandrel, thank you for posting this and may I extened condolences on the loss of your friend

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    RIP Marine.
    Prayers Outbound to All.
    I'm so Sorry to hear that he was your Friend Brother.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Rest In Peace Wesley May God Richly Bless And Watch Over Your Family And May He Craddle You In His Arms,
    Sorry About The Loss Of Your Fri3end Steve

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

R.I.P. Sgt Rice prayers out to your family and friends.

God Bless

Semper Fi

RIP Sgt Wesley Rice
    May The lord bless your family in this dark time

I was there on that sad fateful day.
    RIP Sgt Rice.

Rest in Peace Marine

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm so tired of the dying,,, So much water under one stupid bridge. I'm tired of the loss. RIP, Brother.

RIP Marine, Semper Fidelis.

Rest in Peace Sgt.Rice-May the good Lord-Bless you and your Family.May you find peace and strength in your life with the Lord.To Die A Marine is to Live Forever-Semper Fi Marine Always............

Credits
    Savings
    Rest in Peace, Sgt. Rice. Prayers are outbound for his family.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    RIP Sgt. Rice!

Semper Fidelis!

Prayers out to the family and to you Steve!

I can proudly say that the VFW Post 76 in San Antonio,Texas where Sgt.Rice went to Fox Tech High School had a reception for about 200 people,Marines,Army,Navy,and Air Force in attendence for a ceramony.Our post has about 50 Marine members who hosted the reception.We will never forget Sgt Rice.

Semper Fi
    Ignacio Castilleja
    VFW Post 76 Honor Guard

Thread Information