Infantry with secondary MOS -DEP
Closed Thread

Infantry with secondary MOS -DEP

Hello, I am currently waiting to be shipped out either Sept/Oct, dependent on when an 03 slot opens up.
    I have always wanted to be a trigger puller, yes I know it is not this all glorious job, and it can be very repetitive, but it is what I want to do.
    Currently I go to Norwich University (senior military college), but for personal reasons I am not contracting.
    I am currently in the DEP.
    I also scored an 88 on the ASVAB. I did not know I could get a secondary MOS on my contract until recently. I was thinking I could get communications as my secondary MOS? Please give your thoughts on this.
    Intel seems interesting, but I really want to be infantry. I heard that intel may be put with an infantry unit, but not always.
    -Thank you

You don't get a secondary MOS, you just give your recruiter another option of MOS fields to put you in. A RO could get put with an grunt unit but they can also be with wingers, its all luck of the draw on that one. I don't knw much about intel, never researched it and none of my good friends are them. If you want infantry then wait until you get it, don't try and pick a different job and hope you might get put into a unit. If you do decide to do that, your going to be one of those 100000000 Marines saying" I wanted infantry but my recruiter lied/screwed me." I hear it every damn day it seems like.

He's right in the last post, when it comes to your contract. You can actually earn a secondary MOS(SMOS) if you earn it. You gotta do your regular job and learn a different MOS too so it's not an easy thing to do. If your heart is set on being an 0621(Field Radio Operator) then it's not impossible once you've been at your unit a while. I'm going through that right now, on the verge of getting a SMOS myself. Being an 03 I don't see why they would object to letting you have 0621 on your record also. Do all you can to learn about the 0621's, get hands-on with the radios more than the other 03's do, take the MCI about being a field radio operator, pretty much prove to your superiors that you can claim that SMOS and can use it effectively in combat. Hope that helps.
    BTW, two MOS's helps with promotions sometimes.

The others are right, you are just giving your list of MOS's you would like to obtain. And, only one will be selected from the list that you turn in.

Once you are in, you can obtain a secondary MOS, but outside of those 03 secondary MOS's and category B MOS's, you as an 03 would be hard pressed to officially get anything else because it usually requires you to go to some sort of formal training in that field, however, OJT is accepted in some cases. The mission at my last unit required me to know the ins and outs of the setup and operation of radios from HF to the MBITR to SATCOM, but alas I have no secondary MOS (there's no radio operators at a radio Battalion) lol.

Closed as answered.

Thread Information