Need info on MOS 6842
Create Post

Need info on MOS 6842

Hi all! So I'm new to Leathernecks and would really love all the information anyone would be willing to lend. My husband graduated from Boot on Dec. 17th and is currently in a holding platoon at Camp Pendleton waiting to go into a MCT training platoon on Tuesday.

So my question is about his A school. I actually have about a milloion questions, but to start, will I and my 4 mo. old son get to accompany him to Keesler and if so will the Marines move us or reemburse our moving expences? And I have also heard that Keesler won't give us on base housing because we are not airforce( just a rumor) and that we won't get a housing allowance to rent off base because it's only a school not a duty station( again just a rumor.) I'm finding it more than frusterating to get any answers and am tired of being the next guys problem. If anyone could lend knowledge I would be greatly endebted.
    Thank You in advance.

My husband graduated from boot almost 7 years ago so things may be different. My husbands MOS was 5811(military police) and his school was about 4 months long. We were married at the time but no kids. I ended up moving to Missouri(this was where his school was) but I was not provided base housing nor did I get an allowence for moving. Everything was our own expense. You should be getting BAH for wherever your home of record is. My husband said that if his school is longer then a year, then they may provide some of those other things, like housing, etc. But most likely if it is less then a year then if you choose to move to be close to him you will have to live off base and it will be at your own expense. From my experience I wanted to be close to him because I hadnt seen him for so long but in the long run it ended up being a waste of money and I really did not get a chance to see him all that often. I hope this information helps some, like I said it has been a number of years so things may have changed but that was my experience. Let me know if you have any more questions. My husband has been out for a few years but we are currently trying to go back to active duty because he misses it so much. Good luck!

Thank you both!
    @ SoftballCatch23, this makes me smile, pmvdh is my husband, thank you for the link!
    @ wifeofmarine19, thank you for the information! This leads into another question I had. If my husband's A school ( which I understand is 9 mo. long) is not authorized for dependant accompanyment and I choose to follow him despite that, will he most likely be required to live in the baracks(in which event we will only see him on his liberty?) or if we rent in town will he be allowed to live with us? Honestly, I am rather discouraged at this point. My son was only a few days old when my husband left for boot camp, and if accompanyment is not allowed, it will have been about a year long separation for my husband and I. I would think that would be trying of any marriage. Don't misunderstand. I am excedingly proud of my husband and support him more than I can describe. But I am also very ready for us to be a family together again. So I guess I am also wondering, does the family side of things ever get better?
    Again, thank you for all of the information and support! It is very gratefully accepted!

Im glad I could be of some help. When I followed my husband to his school he was NOT allowed to live with me. He was only allowed to come to our apartment on the weekends(liberty). I was allowed to see him during the week but he had to stay on base and it was usually only for an hour or two. I understand what you are feeling. I was also a young marine wife and had no clue what I had gotten myself in to. The first year was the hardest, with all the seperation and all. My husband and I were only married for a week before he left for boot camp. Once he was done with all his school and we finally ended up at camp lejuene I was pretty miserable for awhile, I also found out I was pregnant so i was 19, alone, pregnant and 1300 miles away from any of my family. Im not trying to discourage you because things did get better, much better. After getting to know other wives and making friends we actually had a great life, not to mention the birth of our daughter. Once we settled into the Marine Corps way of life, we were very happy and we got to spend a lot of time together as a family. In fact, now that we are in the civilian world my husband probably spends less time at home then he did as a Marine. And that is one of the main reasons why we are trying to go back. As far as my advice to you regarding your decision to move with him or not, I would say Ask questions. I say this because that is what I did so I knew what to expect. They flat out told me that I would not get any moving expenses and he would only be able to see me on liberty, which may not be every week. I understood that but I choose to go anyway and rented a crappy apartment(this was the only short term ones I could find), waited all day to see him for an hour and sometimes he didnt even get to come there on the weekends, depended if they had training. However, I dont know if I would have done anything different. I say this because, at the time I had never lived away from home so I saw this as a "growing up" experience. And it did help me with that. One other thing is, if you choose to do this, there probably wont be many opportunities to meet other wives because there probably wont be a lot, if any, other wives there. Anyways, I know its sooo hard because you just want to be with them and get on with your life but consider all your options, and ask questions! I hope I was of some help, let me know if you have any other questions, I was a marine wife for 4 years and hope to be active again, so ask away!!

Thank you so much! I have to say, it is a breath of fresh air talking to someone who understands military life. All the other moms in my circle are distraught when their husband have to work late one night out of many regular 40 hr. weeks. (my husband was lucky if his easiest week was 55 hrs minimum) It sounds like you had a very challenging year to start off your husband's enlistment. Thus far it is still discouraging for me but at the same time I don't want to borrow more trouble than I have already. I am excited to see where the Marine Corp takes us and for the future that is in store for my family. Thank you for the encouragement!

Im glad I can help. I know what its like to not have anyone who understands to talk to. I hope everything works out for you guys and let me know if you have any more questions!!!

Thread Information