Barracks duty - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Barracks duty

i was on barracks duty from 79-81 at marine barracks nws charleston s.c. had many a great night there. chasing the sog or cog, playing the bad guy. got alot of driving time on the old chevy stick shift truck. also play with an old lav we had there. for response vehicle.

Marine barracks, London England, St Johnswoods, under Col Jim Tiger Livingstone, Capt Anderson, 1980-1982, any MARINES THERE CONTACT ME via PM. SERVED WITH WILLIS, CUETO EBERSOLE, PEARSON, KLEMMEE , WHOLE BUNCH

Last edited by Rocky C; 05-05-14 at 11:23 AM.

Marine Barracks, NAS Moffett Field Ca. 1972-1974, LCPL

I just noticed my date (post #63)for being at Moffett field is erroneous.
    I was there from Dec. '67 - June '69.
    In December '66 I was still in a land far, far away.

I'm an idiot...carry on.

Concering post 63

Frank priolo

Do you have Sgt Ellerbee's email addres or any other guys from the Philly Marine barracks.

Matt
    marine77777@comcast.net

Cookies bar at 10th and Orogan in South Philly. See you there Nov 10.
    "Marines go where they are needed"

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewP View Post
    I beleive it was replaced with a tastkey cake factory.
    Matt here's a poem I recently wrote pertaining to "Hermanm the German" and the Philly Brig:
    The Resurrection of Hermann the German
    All you “salty” Marines, who’ve once stood a watch on the decks of the old Philly Brig,
    Take a seat, listen up, most important of all, when the bottle is passed, take a swig.
    The tale is told of a Prisoner of War whose nationality can be determined,
    he was brought from the “Fatherland” to Philadelphia, the story is about Hermann the German.

Hermann, it seems, was captured one night while standing his post as a sentry.
    He dozed off on duty, his post compromised by the enemy who then gained entry.
    The powers that were made decisions to send the poor soldier abroad for detention.
    Hermann was shipped to Philadelphia’s shores in accord with the Geneva Convention.

He was housed at the Brig near the Base’s west gate, far away from naval activity.
    It was feared he’d escape from confinement and steal matters of grave sensitivity.
    Kept away from the general jail population, Hermann was kept by himself
    Down in the building’s basement he languished with a bunk, footlocker and shelf.

He was given a job to work in the galley in exchange for his keep and his shelter
    Hermann was grateful and thankful enough for his meager abode in the cellar.
    The cooks in charge took a liking to him and let him take care of all baking, for
    Employment before his enlistment began, THAT was his main undertaking.

Strudels and pies, and tortes of all sizes were regularly fresh from the ovens.
    Loaves of bread were baked by our subject each day and muffins and rolls by the dozens.
    Hermann was happy and one could see that he was glad to be out of the fight.
    Nothing could have been better, than falling asleep and being captured that night.
    As war came to an end, the surrenders were signed, Hermann balked at repatriation.
    “I’d really like to stay here,” said he, “Germany is no longer my nation.”
    Treaties require that you have to return said officials all sober and wise.
    When he learned of their answer he quickly conceived a plan for his own demise.

Down in the depths of the bowels of the Brig, there were cables and long lengths of pipe, valves, and drains and wires and switches, “gang” boxes, the electrical type.
    Hermann’s plan to expire was foremost in his thoughts, his way to escape deportation,
    wire wrapped round his neck, stepping off of his bunk, a crude form of decapitation.

Next morning while waking the mess men for work, the Chaser discovered his torso
    all crumpled and bloody and minus his head which perplexed him even more so.
    Hermann was buried in back of the Brig, ten yards away from the wire.
    All Brig personnel turned out for his funeral, for that was the old “Kraut’s” desire.

How many of you have seen strange apparitions while standing your watches at night, or, in the wee hours felt a presence so close, your arm hair stood straight up in freight?
    Log books have had entries of sightings of things that are not necessarily Earthly.
    Hermann has been credited more than one time as being the cause of the melee.

Now the Brig is no longer there where it was, the whole Yards an industrial site.
    Many corporate ventures call The Navy Yard home, much to Kaverner’s delight.
    Hermann’s spirit is happy at least for the moment, he inhabits a new undertaking.
    His new digs still part of the Navy Yard complex, he’s now part of TASTYKAKE BAKING.

The Treasure Island Marine Barracks was due for an I.G. in July of 72. I was given a choice N.S. Long Beach CA, Hawthorne NV & N.A.S. North Island. Hawthorne seemed to be the middle of nowhere and since I knew San Diego, I picked North Island. Nice area but at the time, the #3 Barracks, not great duty.

Marine Barracks, Cubi Point, Subic Bay, Philippines...Separate Guard (3rd Platoon) 1978- 1981

Marine Barracks Norfolk, VA 1963-1965

Marine Barracks Norfolk VA

1980-1981

Was at NAS Lamore CA from 68-69 worst place I ever. CO was a grunt who lost his command in Nam and was past over for LtCol and he did not like Marines who were not 0300. Bigest pane in the ars.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I just stumbled upon some photos of the old Brig at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard on Flicker photo sharing yesterday. If any of you are interested in viewing them, the photographer uses the title soldat252 and there are about 9 photos of the old derelict structure. They brought back 40 some year old memories to me.

Marine Barracks Panama Canal Zone from 1977-1978

Thread Information