How to gain weight fast and cheaply?
Create Post

I realize that the problem is usually the opposite, but I'm worried that my weight, which has recently taken a sudden drop, might have negative consequences when I go to MEPS in a week or so.

I'm 6'0" and, until a few weeks ago, I was about 150-155. Once I started running and doing PT, I suddenly lost a lot of weight. Not to be crude, but I think all of that physical activity shook out a lot of fecal matter that had been building up in me over the years (I had to go to the bathroom about 5 times a day that first week, and it wasn't diarrhea). I suspect that that is one of the main causes of my weight loss, apart from all the calories I've been burning.

Anyways, I went to weigh myself this morning, and I was somewhere between 140-145. I'm worried that if I'm below 140 when I go to MEPS, I might get DQeed. Any advice on quickly gaining weight (and hopefully converting that to muscle)? I'd prefer to not have to spend much on food and/or supplements, but if it would make the difference I'll do what I have to.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Eat more or go to gnc and buy that weight gainer. you need to consume 3-4,000 calories a day to gain weight.

When I went to bootcamp in 83 I was 5'10 and weighed 129lb. I'm not so sure about the standards today, but it shouldn't be a problem. You'll gain weight once you get in. Eat a lot of carbs and protein.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerubbaal View Post
    I realize that the problem is usually the opposite, but I'm worried that my weight, which has recently taken a sudden drop, might have negative consequences when I go to MEPS in a week or so.

I'm 6'0" and, until a few weeks ago, I was about 150-155. Once I started running and doing PT, I suddenly lost a lot of weight. Not to be crude, but I think all of that physical activity shook out a lot of fecal matter that had been building up in me over the years (I had to go to the bathroom about 5 times a day that first week, and it wasn't diarrhea). I suspect that that is one of the main causes of my weight loss, apart from all the calories I've been burning.

Anyways, I went to weigh myself this morning, and I was somewhere between 140-145. I'm worried that if I'm below 140 when I go to MEPS, I might get DQeed. Any advice on quickly gaining weight (and hopefully converting that to muscle)? I'd prefer to not have to spend much on food and/or supplements, but if it would make the difference I'll do what I have to.

Your advice is much appreciated.
    First off, weight doesn't magically convert into muscle. It takes some time in order to put on weight by building lean muscle mass.

You should have no problems shipping even if you are a few lbs under weight. But if you feel the need to put on some weight eat as much as you can of whatever you can and drink ALOT of water. You could also take some weight gainer/protein supplements and also try some creatine to hold some water weight.

Welcome to the Double Rats! I'm 5'8" and weighed 115lbs when I joined. The heavy guys had two horizontal red stripes on their sweaters to designate them as on special diets; ours where black. As the name implies when you eat you have to eat double rations at every meal. I graduated boot camp weighing 135lbs. You will be fine.

Eat lots of Mac n' Cheese, If Oprah gained massive weight by that method you can too!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    Eat lots of Mac n' Cheese, If Oprah gained massive weight by that method you can too!
    ,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerubbaal View Post
    Turn 40....

Seriously - the advice above is sound. Double rations, high protein, and weight lifting.

I wouldn't sweat it. If you are under at MCRD they'll put you on double rations and you'll get a little extra time to eat (skinny bodies to the front of the line, fat bodies to the back of the line).

Thread Information