Help: Sticky Enlistment Situation
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Help: Sticky Enlistment Situation

Alright, let me start off by saying this is not my account, so the situation here does not belong to the account holder, but I do have permission (it wouldn't make since if I was the account holder, he's my 14 year old friend, he can't enlist).
    That being said, I am in a hard situation here. I want to enlist in the USMC. I've done a ton of research, decided what MOS to request (0311) and am ready to see the recruiter. The only problem is, my parents are totally, completely, 100% AGAINST my decision. The real reason for this is because of my education. From 6th grade and on (now a senior in highschool) my grandfather has payed ~$20,000 a year for me to go to a very good private high school. Graduates from my school end up at the college of their choice 90% of the time (maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get the point). They say if I enlist, I am disrepecting them and my grandfather, and ****ing his hard earned money away. I told them it is only a four year service, and I plan on going to college after my time is done. I've thought about becoming an officer and going to college and all the rest first, but my decision to enlist is final. I understand I am an adult and the final decision is mine, but it would be much better if I had the full support of my parents behind me. I don't know what my grandfather's take on this is (I'm guessing he wants me to be an officer as well, rather than enlisted). I have many reasons for enlisting, so don't ask me to go into detail about that. Has anyone gone through a similar experience with education and enlisting before? I know I'm going to, but I need to find a way to have my parents supporting me.
    Thank you all for taking your time to read and possibly help me with this issue. To all former and current Marines, I hold you in the deepest respect, thank you for your service.

You have your education paid for. This is a no-brainer. Get your degree and if you want to go enlisted do that after the degree. After you are in a couple of years, you will know if you want to go the officer route. I know your mind is set on going in right after high school. I heard that. However, in the world we are in today, if you have that degree, you have so many open doors to you. Dont play with that. Doing college on your own and even after the GI Bill, you will have student loans will really, really, suck. Debt can become your master and you the slave. It is not like the movies kid. Marine Corps life can be boring, mundane, full of head games. It can also be very rewarding. It is what you bring to the table and what your mindset is. Bring a degree to the table.

Way too many times people pass up on a degree to do this or that. After some amount of time, THEN they want to go back to university. What most discover is how hard school has become due to the fact they have forgotten how to learn. I went back after 8 years and the dedication required damn near killed me!

Go to university and get your degree. After you graduate, you will still be young and if you still want to join the Marines, you have a choice between enlisted or officer. If you determine you are no longer interested in being a Marine, you are prepared to go into the civilian workplace with a degree in hand.

Never pass up a chance to improve yourself.

Think long and hard before making a decision that you may regret.

Join the Marines.

You are getting some of the best advice I can be, go to school get that degree the Marines are not going away they will still be here. As an Officer or Enlisted with a degree just will be better for you. Never know you may like it so much you stay in for 30.
    Take the advice get the degree.

Credits
    Savings

!

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    You have your education paid for. This is a no-brainer. Get your degree and if you want to go enlisted do that after the degree. After you are in a couple of years, you will know if you want to go the officer route. I know your mind is set on going in right after high school. I heard that. However, in the world we are in today, if you have that degree, you have so many open doors to you. Dont play with that. Doing college on your own and even after the GI Bill, you will have student loans will really, really, suck. Debt can become your master and you the slave. It is not like the movies kid. Marine Corps life can be boring, mundane, full of head games. It can also be very rewarding. It is what you bring to the table and what your mindset is. Bring a degree to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Way too many times people pass up on a degree to do this or that. After some amount of time, THEN they want to go back to university. What most discover is how hard school has become due to the fact they have forgotten how to learn. I went back after 8 years and the dedication required damn near killed me!

Go to university and get your degree. After you graduate, you will still be young and if you still want to join the Marines, you have a choice between enlisted or officer. If you determine you are no longer interested in being a Marine, you are prepared to go into the civilian workplace with a degree in hand.

Never pass up a chance to improve yourself.

Think long and hard before making a decision that you may regret.

Quote Originally Posted by hbharrison View Post
    You are getting some of the best advice I can be, go to school get that degree the Marines are not going away they will still be here. As an Officer or Enlisted with a degree just will be better for you. Never know you may like it so much you stay in for 30.
    Take the advice get the degree.

An Education now, is something that cant be taken away tomorrow.

Dont be so anxious to enlist with out it..
    OH, i guess my advise would be simple. "STAY IN SCHOOL"

If you are really dead set on enlisting, you can always do reserves and college at the same time. You can do the PLC program as well and become an officer that way. That way you can get the experience of being enlisted while getting your education and training to become an officer.

Go to college. Jobs are hard to come by these days. You can always become a hero some day and be very carefull what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by lake9 View Post
    Join the Marines.
    You do not rate to give your opinion, as you are not a Marine, nor a college graduate, and can not offer any insight about either option.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Go to college. Jobs are hard to come by these days. You can always become a hero some day and be very carefull what you wish for.

Amen.

Thread Information