Eligibility Requirement
Create Post

Eligibility Requirement

Good Afternoon everyone. My husband has decided to join the Marines, and saw a recruiter a few weeks ago. He had been advised prior to seeing this recruiter that he would not be able to enter military with his number of traffic tickets (he has like 25 - yes, I know this is bad). Also he has a gross misdeamenor for theft. And has filed bankruptcy in the past (he definitely does not look great on paper, lol!). Also, I have one daughter from someone before I met him, and we have one daughter together. He has not legally adopted my first daughter. So my point is, the Marines recruiter said if he scored well enough on the Asvab he would be able to join. My husband has been studying a lot for the past few weeks in preparation to take it. I am just wondering if anyone has any input or experience with a high number of traffic tickets, and everything else I mentioned? We are both really excited about him joining, I'm just worried that even with a good score, the recruiter won't Really be able to get him in... Any info on these topics?? Thank you so much!

I believe he will have to pay ALL of the traffic tickets first and the recruiter will probably have to get him a waiver for the theft misdemeanor. I doubt if the bankruptcy will be an issue since so many people have that on their records now.

He needs to clean up his act and get all the tickets paid. It speaks volumes about him if they just sit out there.

If he does manage to enlist, you need to save up some ca$h since you guys will need it for support for a while

Good luck.

Thank you DrZ, just to clarify, he has paid all of the tickets. They have all been taken care of - that's just the total number that he's received to date. Yeah, it'll be tight financially while he's away (if he gets in), but we will prepare for that. Do you know about dependents? The recruiter said as long as he didn't legally adopt my first daughter then it's fine with him legally just having one.

Quote Originally Posted by cwainford View Post
    Thank you DrZ, just to clarify, he has paid all of the tickets. They have all been taken care of - that's just the total number that he's received to date. Yeah, it'll be tight financially while he's away (if he gets in), but we will prepare for that. Do you know about dependents? The recruiter said as long as he didn't legally adopt my first daughter then it's fine with him legally just having one.
    I would suggest you wait until after he is in for a while prior to adopting your daughter. The Marines are a bit stand offish right now on taking a recruit with too many dependents. After a year or so...then would be the time.

Just remember failing to plan is planning to fail. As long as everything is planned out, you will be fine.

Thread Information