• My Total Knee at the VA is Questionable

0 0%
  • I wish I had gotten my Total Knee somewhere else

0 0%
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Knee Poll

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf121 View Post
    I was retired from the Corps 14 years ago because of an incident that involved having my knee crushed. I've got a couple rugg rats now who are always wanting to go out and play; but have to wait for me to have a "good day." SO I've got a question for those of you who have had a Total Knee done at the VA. Was it successful? Good, bad, PITA, etc. Let me know any and all advise or suggestions. Opinion are always welcome.
    Most good doctors are going to tell you that you are too young to have total knee replacemnt. I have been told that most knee replacements are only good for X amount of years, then they have to go in and replace again. I do not know for sure but I have heard that the titanium knees last the longest.

I was retired from the Corps 14 years ago because of an incident that involved having my knee crushed. I've got a couple rugg rats now who are always wanting to go out and play; but have to wait for me to have a "good day." SO I've got a question for those of you who have had a Total Knee done at the VA. Was it successful? Good, bad, PITA, etc. Let me know any and all advise or suggestions. Opinion are always welcome.

Don't wait to go to the V.A. and have it done!!!
    I got mine done by a trained professional and that does make a big difference having it done by a trained pro as to a wanna be pro. I know mine fills 100% better now and although I can't run and get around like I use to do it's better than before by a lone shot. and what ever you do don't have both knees done at ONCE !!! have one done week then give yourself a week or two cause it will take about 6 weeks to get back on your feet. your P.T. is very important also so do it just like they say to do and get a stationary bike you'll need that also..Believe me...

This is good advice. Thank you! I do have the opportunity to get it done at the hospital that my wife works at. She was almost beside herself telling me about the advances they had there. But then, no surprise here, TriCare Prime doesn't cover the two doctors who I actually trusted to work on it. That's when I started this thread. We are switching our insurance from TriCare Prime to PacMed; which we can do where we are located. Ironically PacMed touts my wife's hospital as the place they will send their patients, "should they need a procedure done." I just have to wait a bit longer; but I believe in this case patience will be a very good thing.

Side note: To all you folks on TriCare who qualify for PacMed or alternative insurances its worth looking into. Maybe not to switch, but to at least check out. I was on the fence for about 3 years before I figured out that PacMed cares more for its clients. TriCare does NOT cover chiropractors, alternative healing, or massage therapy etc...PacMed does. Also PacMed covers eye prescriptions every year; TriCare is every two years.

I am on medicare with a secondary of Tri Care For Life. Tricare For Life picks up anything that medicare does not pay for. I am a regular at the doctors office and have been for many years and have not had to pay one red cent out of pocket.

Prescriptions through Tricare For Life are only $3.00 & $9.00. For my wife & I, it is a great deal.

Few years back I tore everything loose in my right knee. Had to have operation to put it back together and everything was taken care of by medicare & tricare for life.

Couple of years ago had my right carotid artery removed and completely cleaned out and the same deal applies. These things were done in a small hospital in Elko, Nevada.

This is good advice. Thank you! I do have the opportunity to get it done at the hospital that my wife works at. She was almost beside herself telling me about the advances they had there. But then, no surprise here, TriCare Prime doesn't cover the two doctors who I actually trusted to work on it. That's when I started this thread. We are switching our insurance from TriCare Prime to PacMed; which we can do where we are located. Ironically PacMed touts my wife's hospital as the place they will send their patients, "should they need a procedure done." I just have to wait a bit longer; but I believe in this case patience will be a very good thing.

Side note: To all you folks on TriCare who qualify for PacMed or alternative insurances its worth looking into. Maybe not to switch, but to at least check out. I was on the fence for about 3 years before I figured out that PacMed cares more for its clients. TriCare does NOT cover chiropractors, alternative healing, or massage therapy etc...PacMed does. Also PacMed covers eye prescriptions every year; TriCare is every two years.
    does your wife have insurance or are you stuck with VA Plan if she has insurance go with that.

Her insurance is our plan C and expensive. Plan A- Tricare Prime; Plan B- PacMed.

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    If you've got alternate insurance and really need it done go to a real doctor and a real hospital and get it done right. The VA is a bunch of worthless uncaring butchers.

Take their money, maybe get a lu shot there but don't ever let them operate on you, unless you want to wake up on the wrong side of the grass.
    snip . . .

I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. I would agree with you from my experience with the VA back in the 1970's.

I had surgery on both my knees (bi lateral release) as I had them smashed in a jeep accident in 1969 at Swamp Lagoon mainside. I was licensing NCO at 8th Marines Motor T.

Both knees got infected and it was a terrible experience in 1978 at the VA in Gainesville, Florida.

In 2008, I had a heart attack and used the VA facilities. I got better care at the VA than I ever did across the street at Shands Hospital at the University of Florida as an insured paying customer. The improvements are extraordinary. My doctor takes good care of me. I understand the bureaucracy can be daunting at times, but Gainvesville VA does a good job for me now. I'm not sure if this improvement is across the board at all VA hospitals or just this one.

Of course, we all want the very best in medical care.

Sorry for the late reply . . . just found this topic.

I had an acl/meniscus reconstruction at the naval hospital Camp Pendleton. They did a great job with my knee, have had no problems since the surgery back in '01.

Thread Information