MCI's CPL to SGT
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MCI's CPL to SGT

Are there any MCI's I MUST complete to get SGT?

I'm a full time student so getting the 100 bonus points is not an issue. I want to do as few MCI's as possible, if any.

I got promoted to CPL last June and the ONLY MCI I did was "Leading Marines."

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Not required for Sgt. but look into the all the 8010 series MCI's. I also know Terrorism Awareness, Personal Finance, Spelling, The Principle of Instruction for the NCO, and whatever your MOS MCI may be are all looked highly upon.

Quote Originally Posted by artyin View Post
    Are there any MCI's I MUST complete to get SGT?

I'm a full time student so getting the 100 bonus points is not an issue. I want to do as few MCI's as possible, if any.

I got promoted to CPL last June and the ONLY MCI I did was "Leading Marines."
    Yes, you are required to complete the Sgt's Non-Resident Program (8000 series) MCI's which are:

8010ZZ Sgts Program
    8011AZ Basic Grammar
    8012AZ Leadership
    8013AZ Military Studies
    8014AZ Warfighting
    8015AZ Warfighting Tactics
    8016AZ Warfighting Tech
    8017AZ Weapons

You might want to start doing more because only doing 1 MCI to pick up Corporal is garbage. I understand you are a full time student (I am as well). Your junior Marines are going to look to you as a mentor and someone who only does 1 MCI isn't showing much initiative. Don't take it personally. You need to be a well-rounded Marine which includes: MCI's, college, community service, PFT, rifle, etc. Don't just try to get your 100 points as a check in the box.

The 8010 Sgt's non-resident course is not required for Cpl to Sgt, it's mandatory when being considered for SSgt. However, a lot of Marines complete the program as a senior Cpl/junior Sgt. As for what MCI's you should be doing, just take a look at the MOS road-map (link below) for your particular MOS and get those done. MCI's for the most part are pretty easy to do and if you max them out then that is more points upon the 100 you already have for out-duty education, it make sense to do them so you can be as competitive as possible.

MOS Roadmap: www.tecom.usmc.mil/g3/roadmap.php

[QUOTE=haebyungdae;729256]The 8010 Sgt's non-resident course is not required for Cpl to Sgt, it's mandatory when being considered for SSgt. However, a lot of Marines complete the program as a senior Cpl/junior Sgt. As for what MCI's you should be doing, just take a look at the MOS road-map (link below) for your particular MOS and get those done. MCI's for the most part are pretty easy to do and if you max them out then that is more points upon the 100 you already have for out-duty education, it make sense to do them so you can be as competitive as possible.

^^^^ Great advice. My reservists always think they don't have to do MCI's since they're in school.

Take as many as possible. Only makes you a better Marine.

To do otherwise sets a very poor example.

Quote Originally Posted by haebyungdae View Post
    MCI's for the most part are pretty easy to do and if you max them out then that is more points upon the 100 you already have for out-duty education, it make sense to do them so you can be as competitive as possible.

MOS Roadmap: www.tecom.usmc.mil/g3/roadmap.php
    I do believe that once you have the 100 education points, you are maxed out for points. As I've had friends who have had their off duty education ran in the system and they did mcis too, yet only had 100 points

That would max them out. By why wouldn't you do MCI's to make yourself competitive? No one should do the bare minimum and expect to advance themselves.

My bad, could have swore they were separate. I stand corrected.

Beyond not getting points though. MCI's, amongst other things, comes down to this: at the rank of sergeant you have more Marines under your charge that you have to counsel and mentor. How can you tell your junior to do something that you have not done yourself? Or how can you help them to set that goal for themselves?

If you want to save the MCI's for after promotion so you can put it down on your fitrep or if you dislike MCI's in general then so be it. In that case I would recommend reading the Marine Corps Warfighting Publications starting with Warfighting. This will help you to develop an idea of the bigger picture; something that is unknown to a majority of junior Marines and by a good amount of senior Marines too. All these things serve to develop a Marine as a leader, if someone does not wish to do these things then they are not serving anyone but themselves. Which would be too bad, especially if they have Marines under their charge.

the 8000 is required for most boards

MCI's, for the most part, are a waste of time... especially if you are also attending college. I would be willing to bet that less than 10% of what is read and tested is actually retained by most Marines.

There are very few that have any long-standing impact on your career... outside of what it makes you look like on paper.

KW

Ahhh yes reviving what was once forgotten. But yah MCI's are just a check in the box, if you get it electrical copy you can just ctrl+f while taking the test and bam look at that you look like a motivated individual.

Box with a check in it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post
    MCI's, for the most part, are a waste of time... especially if you are also attending college. I would be willing to bet that less than 10% of what is read and tested is actually retained by most Marines.

There are very few that have any long-standing impact on your career... outside of what it makes you look like on paper.

KW
    WTF...Your suppoed to be a Corporal of Marines and this advice you just gave is complete Horsecrap. All things being the same including college if I have 10 MCI's and you have none who do you think wins a board?

I know that some commands have higher requirements that you must meet otherwise you will receive a counseling and be non-rec'd in the Reserves. I believe that my company requires the 8000 series for Sgt's. From what I have been told, the reasoning behind that is that as reservist Marines it is more important for us to have everything done early because we don't live it like the AD Marines do.

Lately, it appears that just about anyone can come into this forum and not fill out their profile and a lot of info is provided to them. It was my understanding that each and every profile was to be completely filled out. I wonder what is going to occur around here next. Maybe its because I am a stickler about regulations.

Thread Information