MCI's CPL to SGT - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yah wtf people this is a constant theme here yet people still can not get along with the program.

Also I think country of love meant that MCI's them selves are worthless but when it comes to people looking at what you have accomplished they will see those 80 MCI's and say damn this Marines is hot ****, he should be an officer. Or just be promoted compared to his counterpart who did 30 MCI's.

Marine3451,

I did not give any advice. I simply stated the facts. Obviously MCIs are good for your career (on paper), but their influence in training and knowledge in regards to being a "good" Marine is very minuscule.

Point in case, Marines have some of the worst grammar in the world, and a high percentage of them can't spell to save their lives... but they all took Spelling for Marines and Basic Grammar.

That is my point in a nutshell - a small nutshell.

Now as for my advice... complete as many MCI's as you possibly can, but if they ever start to negatively effect the time you have for college courses, or higher education, then focus on that instead.

Semper Fi!

KW

Sadly though we do not live in a perfect world and some do not have the option to take college courses compared to our counter part reservists. MCI's make helps fill in the whole.

... Wait are we talking about only reservists or both AD and reservists?

The same goes for college. I recently met some of the dumbest people i have ever been in a class with and they already had their Masters degree. In my career field sometimes we get sent TAD to classes that count as graduate level courses. During one such class I often wondered why I was doing better than people with Masters degrees and I was only working on my Associates. So, its not just ,but everywhere that you see dumb people look good on paper.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post
    Marine3451,

I did not give any advice. I simply stated the facts. Obviously MCIs are good for your career (on paper), but their influence in training and knowledge in regards to being a "good" Marine is very minuscule.

Point in case, Marines have some of the worst grammar in the world, and a high percentage of them can't spell to save their lives... but they all took Spelling for Marines and Basic Grammar.

That is my point in a nutshell - a small nutshell.

Now as for my advice... complete as many MCI's as you possibly can, but if they ever start to negatively effect the time you have for college courses, or higher education, then focus on that instead.

Semper Fi!

KW
    I know that Marine3451 said some things about grad level students in later posts, and sadly, he is correct. However, not all grad students are incompetent writers. I liked to think I am one of the better post grad writers when I put my mind to it.

However, my grad studies are in adult education, training, and performance improvement. One cannot learn to be a good writer unless you have a mentor who can proof your material and provide accurate and constructive criticism and advice. A poor speller and incompetent writer remains so unless someone teaches them better. A spelling and grammar MCI can only present the theory. The theory MUST be practiced under the supervision of a competent speller and writer.

As a Marine, I was very fortunate to have that mentor at one unit I was assigned to in the form of a Master Sergeant who had a master's degree in English. He was a pr*ck when it came to report writing, but by God, I learned how to write. Those skills served me well as a police officer, police trainer, and college student.

My oldest daughter often proofed my grad school academic writings for grammar and spelling as a high school student. She had to trust me on content. Doing this also improved her writing skills. I return the favor by proofing her college papers now and I don't have to correct much.

I see the writings put forth in the Poolee forum and cringe. I see equally bad writings in the Marine Only forums, but I am much more forgiving there because many of those Marines (particularly my contemporaries or sooner) had to quit school early to feed their families. Current Poolees should be much better, but in most case are not due to rotten teaching in public schools.

As an adult educator and trainer, I deeply believe that ANY learning opportunity is a good opportunity. Marines should take as many MCIs as is reasonable, but MUST take them with the intent to learn as much as they can from them. Taking an MCI just to check a box on a form is a foolishly wasted opportunity.

Just a few tips from your Uncle Zulu.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post

Point in case, Marines have some of the worst grammar in the world, and a high percentage of them can't spell to save their lives

This is somewhat true. I say somewhat because I believe most Marines don't spell and use grammar correctly because they typically: 1) are lazy and text type 2) don't care.

They might know better, but they don't always deliver it.

Marines don't learn to spell or use proper grammar from MCI's, so true --> hopefully, they learned it in HS, actually grade school, but the MCI's reenforce things that we may have forgotten.

For the general discussion and my two cents into it --> I think MCI's are like a lot of things in life; the same can be said for any book or anything we do -- you get back what you put in.

If you cheat and just get them done, the box is checked and you carry on. But if you look at them like an opportunity to better yourself, to learn something new, for free, on your time -- then you will probably learn something you didn't previously know.

But it is always easier to say they are worthless because that's what most Marines say.

It is also easy to follow, but much harder to lead.

It is worth noting that many MCIs are actually WORTH COLLEGE CREDIT.
    There is no reason NOT to do MCIs when in 20 minutes you can earn 2-3 semester hours and save hundreds of dollars.

All colleges accept MCI's as credits? Or only a select few accept MCI's as credits?

Ok so just to be clear, if I complete the 8000 series as a Cpl, I will not get any points for education towards Sgt? Cuz I noticed on my MOL that my education points reset to 0 on the date of my promotion. This is confusing.

Thread Information