My wife is having our second child by induction in a few days. Her due date was on January 3rd, I am also going to a school on the 18th so I obviously can't take leave during this school. I have asked if I could take the leave early just so I would get my days off even if I didn't have the baby. The results were no. My question is this: Can you take split maternity such as 5 days now and 5 days and a few months. Or maybe just wait 2 months and take it all then. No one in my chain of command will give me a straight answer. I was also told that I might not be able to take it at all if I wait. Can they do that?