determined wannabee has questions about joining with ged, getting waiver etc.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy determined wannabee has questions about joining with ged, getting waiver etc.

hello to all,

little info about me and how i decided i want to be marine its a little long but hopefully one of you guys can help me out if i explain the situation.

ive been trying to join the military (seriously now) for about a month. i had it as a very possible career plan since 17 but took the last year thinking about if i wanted to just go to college or enlist in the marines. after checking out my school and comparing and contrasting both, ive realized that the marines is the perfect place for me. it offers me things that i need for myself and to build a better future and become a stronger and better person, from offering me a career to paid school to strenghtening my physical body as well as my mind. make me a better leader and more confident. in the past the military always comes up when thinking about future plans but i never took it serious mainly because my mother and family/friends and their views on the military have affected my decision.although i was considering seriously enlisting back in 2003/4 but thats also when the whole iraq/afghanistan war thing was just fresh starting and once again mainly because of my mother/friends i chose not to take that route.

i am now 22 have lived on my own for years now, and i dont let other people and friends affect my important life decisions anymore. i also feel like i wasted so much precious time. i truly want to be a marine and im now prepared to go through the process training hardship and pain to become one. i no longer fear going to war which i know is a possibility anytime you enlist, if thats what it takes for me to defend my country and protect my fellow americans then so be it! also i spoke to my mother about it a few days ago and she actually didnt respond the way i imagined.(maybe cus im older now too im sure it would of been a different story me telling her at 17/18). she actually says if its going to make me happy its my life and i can choose what i want and she'd support my decision in the end. i got even more motivation after hearing that from her.

i felt like nothing could possibly stop me now. unfortunately because of hardships starting at 16/17 and dropping out of highscool to work 2 jobs to pay rent and my father kicking me out the house(because i had gotten a earing and didnt want to go to church anymore) i dropped out of highschool at that age barely surviving completely on my own and making ends meet. since i started considering school or military now that im a bit more stable in my living conditions and am completely independant (not by choice but out of necessity) i got my ged this past april. i tried for school but cant afford it and after checking it out i know its not for me anyway. my career goal is to be a critical care nurse(ER), be able to save lives and deal to the best of my ability in situations of great emergency and pressure. i spoke to a friend who just got back home yesterday from graduating bmt. the change i see in him all i can say i admire it and im envious. so after speaking to a recruiter over the phone (i work 6 days a week 10 hours a day, sundays my only day off and recruiting offices are closed so i havent been able to go in person but requested a day off for week after next to visit) he told me this.

-nobody in the military (in general army navy etc.) arent taking geds (maybe because we're in a recession and there not as desperate for recruits because many people are joining anyway)
    -if i had an actual highschool diploma from a highschool instead of ged id be in
    -i have to take 15 college credits with the ged to be able to enlist
    -unfortunately he wasnt very helpful and i felt rushed when i wanted to get possible options and ask alot more questions.

now this is a problem for me because i cant afford school even after financial aid because i recently moved to a new state and am still considered "out of state tuition" and have to wait another year before im considered a resident and can afford to actually go to this community college and still pay my rent so im not living in the streets. i cant afford to go back to my resident state to attend school because i have nowhere to live there now and also since i just found out about the semester fee last month 2 weeks before my school start date(i was suppose to be in school already right now to get the 15 credits as of jan 4th) ive missed the spring semester sign up and couldnt even go back to ny and sign up or just stay here in miami etiher way id have to wait til next january(2012!) to start college, do the semester and THEN get shipped out. i feel like im in limbo i cant do anything and i dont want to waste anymore time not going to school not being in the military and still in a dead end job having no important purpose in life, i feel like a superbum. i wanna feel like a marine.

now ive read online and everywhere i go it says that ged ppl can be accepted if they get a waver or score high on the ASVAB. also that they do allow small percentage enlist as tier II. ive taken a practice ASVAB didnt even concentrate too much on it because i was at work (im always! at work). but my score was 73 and im confident i can do better. i only weigh 130 im 5'9(a little skinny)but i used to run long distance track the 3 years of highschool(was very good, got medals came in 2 and 3rd place in queens wide race and 17th place in a state wide track meet with over 2000 other top runners in a 20mile long distance race), . i attended and have no problems with the physical part of it. i can do the 34 situps and 38 pushups in less than 2 mins, as i read on a website you should for bmt. im confident i will not quit i wouldnt dare to and that i would see this thru til the end!

so my possible options are these that ive came up with, after reading online and breaking my head trying to figure out how i can possibly join this year and not have to wait a year just to start school and go through another 4 months of school just to start the marines bmt:

1)request a waiver which im gon try tomorrrow asking the recruiter if its possible

2)asking to take the asvab test and if i can get a higher than average score if i could possibly have a chance like that

3)moving back to ny in another month and since ill have no place to live go to job corp(where i can study and live for free in a dorm style work n study environment.) and acquire 675 clock hours which is equivalent to 15 semester hours adding that to my ged would make me a tier I equal to someone with a highschool diploma or college credits.

^this 3rd option is looking like what i may have to do but i was just hoping that instead of wasting 4 months in job corp and studying any random technical thing just to be able to gain the hours and be elligible to join the marines when i'd rather just join directly and invest that time in bmt and my future mliitary career and instead of starting in 4 months be graduating from bmt in 4 months=)!

another of my friends is so lucky he got in with no ged because he got a waiver since he got a 82 on asvab and also they put him on some program that he gets his ged while in bmt or sumthin of that sort was what he told me.

PLEASE I DONT WANT TO WASTE ANYMORE TIME IF I WOULD OF JOINED ORIGINALLY WHEN I WAS 17/18 I WOULD OF HAD MY CRITICAL CARE NURSE CAREER MOST LIKELY AND BE SERVING AS AN ACTIVE MEMBER IN THE MARINES (OR EVEN SERVING AND MY LIFE WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER AND EXCITING, AND HAVE SO MUCH MORE PURPOSE RIGHT NOW BEING A MARINE AND BEING ONE OF THE FEW THAT GETS TO PROTECT HIS COUNTRY WITH HIS LIFE, AS WELL AS HAVING SOMETHING THTA WILL MAKE ME MORE ESSENTIAL IN MY CRITICAL CARE NURSE CAREER =(. DONT WANT TO WASTE ANYMORE TIME I WANT TO HAVE MY CAREER ON TRACK BY 25 AND THE MARINES WILL MAKE THAT A REALIZATION AS WELL AS IMPROVE MANY OF MY PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND BUILD A BETTER FUTURE. I WANT THAT CHANGE I SEE IN OTHER BMT GRADUATES. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR BETTER/MORE ECONOMICAL OR FASTER ROUTES TO ACHIEVING MY GOAL WILL BE HAPPILY APPRECIATED. I DONT CARE IF I HAVE TO WAIT 2 MORE YEARS JUST TO GET IT BUT I PREFER NOT TO WASTE ANYMORE TIME IM ALREADY 22. i wanna be on the right track already no more deviating what i feel is what im meant to be as life keeps leading me right back to the same door ive refused to enter in the past.

Way too long for me, maybe Sparkie can help you out, btw it's Marine or Marines, Semper Fidelis.

Talk with a recruiter face to face.

With this as a "plan," my career goal is to be a critical care nurse(ER), be able to save lives and deal to the best of my ability in situations of great emergency and pressure, going into the Marines would NOT be a step in recognizing that plan.

Why not seek employment at a medical care facility and work toward getting an RN certification outside work hours (such as an AA in Nursing)?

Then, if you receive an RN certification, then maybe the Navy or Army would accept you.

Exclamation

how would Marines not help in a critical care nurse job?

im a bookworm when it comes to science so i can deal and easily pass anything in college for that field but i want more than that i want to be able to deal under situations of pressure and be able to take charge, not fear and be confident and have better leadership skills when it comes to these situations, and after touring my college and seeing the classes etc. i know they will not offer me what i need. i want to not stand there helpless if someone gets shot in front of me or stay in shock or say "omg somebody call the cops" but instead know exactly what to do in any type of emergency situation so i can hopefully save a life and help the situation not worsen it or not be able to do anything about it. critical nurse job is what i want as a civilian job but i want to be in the Marines more than being a nurse. so no i will not go to some college for RN maybe i will but just so i can enlist, and that would be to get the 15 credits because theres no other option. i just need advice on how to not have to wait another year and 4 months to do it accomplish my goal. and im not fixed on being RN im fixed on being Marine maybe id consider firefighter or police officer as civilian job too as they save lives and are first to deal with emergency situations which is what attracts me.

ANYWAY THANKS FOR NO GOOD ADVICE.... to the people that actually bothered on reading my long essay...to just tell me to try something else.

i decided i am going to join the National Guard becuase i spoke to a recruiter and he said he has 125 slots open for ged holders and that if i hurry up he can reserve one for me. i will score above 75 on the ASVAB this im sure of. ill be taking it tomorrow morning before work. this recruiter made an exception since he knows i have no days off til week after the next FOR WHOEVER TOLD ME TO SEE A RECRUITER IN PERSON...and hes gonna open 2 hours earlier so i can take it before having to go into work. i work 60 hours a week and the only day off recruiting offices are never open i wrote that ^^(and this current week i actually get NO days off, ima slave to my store) finally a recruiter who is actually interested in helping me out and not rushing to turn me away.

HOWEVER I STILL WANT TO BE A MARINE!!!!!!!!! SO MY NEXT QUESTION IS IF I GO TO THE NG CAN I TRANSFER AFTER, i remember reading somewhere that i can request a conditional leave or something and then actually transfer to Marine branch as tier II or even tier I. please somebody actually answer this question dont tell me what i should be or not or i should go to school because my mind is made up, just trying to find the route that would waste the least amount of time. I RATHER BE IN THE NATIONAL GUARD GOING THRU BMT THEN TO BE IN JOB CORP FOR THE NEXT 4 MONTHS TO GET 675 CLOCK HOURS AND STUDY SOME TECHNICAL CAREER THAT I HAVE NO INTEREST IN JUST TO GET 675 CLOCK HOURS... TO THEN FINALLY BE ABLE TO JOIN THE MARINES.
    IF I CAN SPEND THOSE 4 MONTHS IN NG BMT I KNOW ITLL HELP TOWARDS SHAPING ME UP FOR MARINE BOOTCAMP, which we all know is tougher lol. W.E will help me work towards my final goal.

i apologize for writing another essay ^...my lease is up soon and i have to figure my next move out very soon thats all, and im gonna quit this slave job as well im tired of being in dead end job/situation i want something thats gonna be great for my future, give me the changes im looking for and that will give me a higher purpose in life, like:
    "fighting our countrys battle in the air, on land and sea,
    first for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean
    i'd be PROUD to claim the title of United States Marine

Just go for it! Do what you think is best for youself.Earning the title United States Marine is by far the best experience that ever happened to me! The friends that I made in the Marine Corps are my friends for life actually they are family.

i admire that too...no matter which Marine you speak to, they all say the same^^^
    ->takin ASVAB tomorrow maybe if my score is high enough the Marine recruiter will change his mind hehe...shooting for 80 or better.

is the ASVAB the same exam for all branches, or is that also harder in the Marines?

In that recent tragedy in Tucson, there seems to be a lot of recognition given to a "by-stander" who not only took charge of what to do, BUT his skill and composure and leadership UNDER DURESS may well have helped others, who were otherwise tarumatized, to render ample aid to others who were struck and in need of immediate attention.

So your words: "i want to not stand there helpless if someone gets shot in front of me or stay in shock or say "omg somebody call the cops" but instead know exactly what to do in any type of emergency situation so i can hopefully save a life and help the situation not worsen it or not be able to do anything about it." were seemingly ironic in that it was someone with a nursing background that did more IN THE MOMENT than any other person. Just passing that on.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Way too long for me, maybe Sparkie can help you out, btw it's Marine or Marines, Semper Fidelis.
    Don't load that onto me, Bro. The 1st paragraph gave me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by iwant2BMarine View Post

ANYWAY THANKS FOR NO GOOD ADVICE.... to the people that actually bothered on reading my long essay...to just tell me to try something else.

i decided i am going to join the National Guard becuase i spoke to a recruiter and he said he has 125 slots open for ged holders and that if i hurry up he can reserve one for me. i will score above 75 on the ASVAB this im sure of. this recruiter made an exception since he knows i have no days off til week after the next

FOR WHOEVER TOLD ME TO SEE A RECRUITER IN PERSON...

HOWEVER I STILL WANT TO BE A MARINE!!!!!!!!! S
    You disrespectful little shiit. How dare you disrespect Marines that are attempting to help a little twit like you. I don't believe you belong in our Marine Corps. You think you've got it all figured out, all you are is a drop-out that thinks he's conned his recruiter.

If you think it's hard for you now, you have no idea what Parris Island is like. You can't quit there. All of your sentences are in the negative. Go join the National Guard because they'll take you. Of course they'll take anyone.

You're not fit so just go away.

P.S. No one cares for you long-winded posts either.

All right then listen (iwant2BMarine). Do not come in to a Marine website domain and compare us to the National Guard. To be honest with you the National Guard is not in the same league. In the Marine Corps you earn everything it is not given or promised. If you want to be a Marine then you must earn it. You have a lot of Marines that have been disrespected by your comments.

Just to settle down a bit... if you want military training to be a nurse or any kind of medical professional, then the Marines aren't going to be able to help you. All of the medical personnel who serve with the Marines are US Navy personnel. Yes, as a Marine you'll get basic first aid training, and if you are an infantryman (or several other MOSs) you'll learn some trauma specific first aid.

So, just to be clear - the combat medics in the Marine Corps are actually U.S. Navy Corpsmen. The surgeons who operate on Marines are, by and large, U.S. Navy doctors.

That's what these Marines meant when they questioned how the Marine Corps would particularly help you become a critical care nurse.

Now, one quick note... in order to be a nurse in the military, you have to possess a bachelor's degree. An associates degree in nursing (RN) isn't enough.

As far as enlisting in the Corps with a GED, understand that the odds are against you. The Marine Corps is a relatively smal force, and as a result, are selective in who is eligible to enlist and attempt to earn the title. The slogan "The Few, The Proud" isn't just some saying - a lot of folks try, but don't make it. During these current times, quite frankly, there are more people who want to enlist than there is room for. Congress is cutting the size of the Corps, so enlistment will become even more selective. As a result, the initial screening looks for reasons to not take someone, rather than reasons to take someone. Statisically, over the year, recruits with a GED have a higher rate of washing out of boot camp - thus, only in rare cases will a recruiter offer a slot to someone with a GED over someone with a HS diploma.

The recruiter's goal isn't to help you fulfill some dream, it's to put enough of the right people into the Corps - enough of the people who have the highest chances of success at boot camp and the highest chances of being top notch Marines. This isn't a ding on you or anyone else - I'm merely trying to lend perspective.

Sometimes, regardless of how badly someone wants something, the answer will be "no" - whether it's the Corps or college or marriage or a job -- that's life.

Figured a long post deserved a long answer...

im a bookworm when it comes to science so i can deal and easily pass anything in college for that field but i want more than that i want to be able to deal under situations of pressure and be able to take charge, not fear and be confident and have better leadership skills when it comes to these situations, and after touring my college and seeing the classes etc. i know they will not offer me what i need. i want to not stand there helpless if someone gets shot in front of me or stay in shock or say "omg somebody call the cops" but instead know exactly what to do in any type of emergency situation so i can hopefully save a life and help the situation not worsen it or not be able to do anything about it. critical nurse job is what i want as a civilian job but i want to be in the Marines more than being a nurse. so no i will not go to some college for RN maybe i will but just so i can enlist, and that would be to get the 15 credits because theres no other option. i just need advice on how to not have to wait another year and 4 months to do it accomplish my goal. and im not fixed on being RN im fixed on being Marine maybe id consider firefighter or police officer as civilian job too as they save lives and are first to deal with emergency situations which is what attracts me.

i decided i am going to join the National Guard becuase i spoke to a recruiter and he said he has 125 slots open for ged holders and that if i hurry up he can reserve one for me. i will score above 75 on the ASVAB this im sure of. ill be taking it tomorrow morning before work. this recruiter made an exception since he knows i have no days off til week after the next FOR WHOEVER TOLD ME TO SEE A RECRUITER IN PERSON...and hes gonna open 2 hours earlier so i can take it before having to go into work. i work 60 hours a week and the only day off recruiting offices are never open i wrote that ^^(and this current week i actually get NO days off, ima slave to my store) finally a recruiter who is actually interested in helping me out and not rushing to turn me away.

HOWEVER I STILL WANT TO BE A MARINE!!!!!!!!! SO MY NEXT QUESTION IS IF I GO TO THE NG CAN I TRANSFER AFTER, i remember reading somewhere that i can request a conditional leave or something and then actually transfer to Marine branch as tier II or even tier I. please somebody actually answer this question dont tell me what i should be or not or i should go to school because my mind is made up, just trying to find the route that would waste the least amount of time. I RATHER BE IN THE NATIONAL GUARD GOING THRU BMT THEN TO BE IN JOB CORP FOR THE NEXT 4 MONTHS TO GET 675 CLOCK HOURS AND STUDY SOME TECHNICAL CAREER THAT I HAVE NO INTEREST IN JUST TO GET 675 CLOCK HOURS... TO THEN FINALLY BE ABLE TO JOIN THE MARINES.
    IF I CAN SPEND THOSE 4 MONTHS IN NG BMT I KNOW ITLL HELP TOWARDS SHAPING ME UP FOR MARINE BOOTCAMP, which we all know is tougher lol. W.E will help me work towards my final goal.
    The national guard will NOT prepare you for our bootcamp by a long shot, they don't even compare so if you want to talk army trash this isn't the place this is a Marine site, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Don't load that onto me, Bro. The 1st paragraph gave me a headache.
    I got one too when he brought up the national guard,,Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information