Recruiters, PSR's, Active duty and the reserves...anything change?
Create Post

Recruiters, PSR's, Active duty and the reserves...anything change?

For the past year and a half (approximately) I've been researching, investigating and testing the waters concerning getting back on active duty. The general word seems to be that it is a lot of extra work for a recruiter and you will get a lot farther if you do a lot of the legwork to help him/her out. I've also been doing that. I've gathered my OMPF, SRB, medical records, birth cert, diploma etc...

To get back on active duty I would need to see a regular recruiter. A prior service recruiter would only be able to put me in the reserves. That has been the wisdom passed down on this site several times.

Here is my question...Does the above still hold true? Do I still need to see a regular recruiter for active duty or have things changed?

I only ask because today I went to see a regular recruiter for a question and he told me that I need to talk to a prior service recruiter. I specifically said how I wanted to go active and that I was pretty sure I needed to see him and he told me "No, they don't let us put you in anymore."

I feel like this Sgt. blew me off. That feeling might have something to do with his lack of professionalism (sleeping in a hoodie, dirty socks and his blues trousers at 2:30 in the afternoon in the office while his SNCOIC was at MEPPS.) Maybe he was right. Anyone have any idea if there has been new directive on this recently or do regular recruiters still put prior service Marines back on active duty?

You need to see a regular recruiter. Half the time they have no idea what a PSEP is, or they are lazy. I am in the same boat and found it to be easier for me to go IMA Reserves then augment back onto active duty. All of the regular recruiters either had no idea what I was asking and referred me to their SNCOIC or they said they are full.

A PSR is for prior Service wanting in on the reserve side.
    A regular recruiter is for active duty.

My past experience is that you WILL have to do everything your self. I did this about a year ago. I went to the recruiter to have them start my package and I was told that a PSR was what I needed. I already knew that this wasent true. So after he called the RS, and proven wrong, he printed me off the paperwork to start my package. I was told to bring it back when done filling it out. I sat down and started filling it out. Two mins later i was told to go home and that they didnt have the time for me today. A few days later after i had it all filled out i brought it back and i was told still no time for me. I had talked to my old RSS and they told me to take it up to the RS. So i did. Where i went wrong was that the corps closed pseps coming in. So that is as far as a got. I read recentally that as of Jan 1 pseps are allowed TFN. So apply away. If the recruiter tells you wrong, make him prove you wrong. I am going to submit my package again this month. il keep it updated. SF

process

I am attempting both processes right now. My PSR is having a hard time finding me a reserve spot because 03's are all filled up. He did come across a possible PWST billet for me, but I am waiting to hear back from him on that.

I also called a local recruiting station and they are going to see what boat spaces are available for full active for me. He also told me 03's are filled, but would see if I can come back in an LAT move to another spot.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

If it makes you feel any better I have been trying the reserve side since Oct. last year. So it is a long process. I have been in contact with my PSR every week just about so that he doesn't forget I am still around and want to be back in.

Quote Originally Posted by cucinae5 View Post
    I am attempting both processes right now. My PSR is having a hard time finding me a reserve spot because 03's are all filled up. He did come across a possible PWST billet for me, but I am waiting to hear back from him on that.

I also called a local recruiting station and they are going to see what boat spaces are available for full active for me. He also told me 03's are filled, but would see if I can come back in an LAT move to another spot.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

If it makes you feel any better I have been trying the reserve side since Oct. last year. So it is a long process. I have been in contact with my PSR every week just about so that he doesn't forget I am still around and want to be back in.
    Don't give up, First step is to get you back in the IRR but since youve been out for quit some time, your going to need an off contract waiver, that may take a few months to get the approval code back, then to find a unit that has a slot, if need be you can LAT move if you have to. Thats what the PSR is up against, lots of work for them but its their job.

1) have a re:1A AND be within weight, no new Tats.(if you have new tats, thats more waivers and makes it harder but not impos)
    2) Get your physical using forms DD XX(cant remember numbers) provided by PSR
    3) Fill out all pre enlistment forms such as tatoo, drug usage, etc etc.
    4) give him copies of drivers licence and SSN Card, and OMPF ( must request it, takes 2 weeks to get)
    5) Write essay on why you want back in.
    6) Meet with unit CO and/or First Sgt, wear suit and tie if possible
    7) All of this can be done while waiting for your waiver(s) to come back.

Once your waivers are back with codes, thats when things start moving fast.

This can be done, Im a prime example, swore in a few weeks ago after being out 9 years.

Supersquishy - sent you an email, but in case you didn't get it I will post it.

Thanks for the reply first and foremost.

1. All the things you listed are they for reserves or active?

If they are for reserves, I already have the following done:

RE1A code and weight/height is good. New tats but all within regs.
    Physical has been done
    Resume has been submitted
    filled out preenlistment forms

Quote Originally Posted by cucinae5 View Post
    Supersquishy - sent you an email, but in case you didn't get it I will post it.

Thanks for the reply first and foremost.

1. All the things you listed are they for reserves or active?

If they are for reserves, I already have the following done:

RE1A code and weight/height is good. New tats but all within regs.
    Physical has been done
    Resume has been submitted
    filled out preenlistment forms
    No Email, try the PM thingy if need be. Yes this was for the Reserves. If you decide the Reserve part you also can request IMA, which who ever unit is deployed you would fill there slot back here at home full time, or you can request AR if the unit needs a full time body.

Make sure you get your HIV test too, one thing if forgot to add, Make copies of every thing you submit and keep in safe location!

Got the HIV done as well. Where are you located, MOS? I am in Baltimore.

Well finally got some good news Gents. Looks like I finally got a spot. PWST spot opened up and it appears they are going to accept my package for it. Waiting to get further information on what needs to be done next.

Finally. Will post back as soon as I get some more information.

I have a question if anyone still watches this thread. How the heck do I get ahold of the PSR?? My old RS shut down years ago and I'm not even sure where the new one is. All the numbers I've found are dead or lead to someone who has no idea how to help me. I'm glad you guys posted all the other info but I'm still stuck at step 1.

There is an Anti-terrorism company in Reno and some Maint. and Bulk fuel companies in Vegas.Call them and ask for the Prior service recruiter that they deal with.702-241-3284 for Vegas and 775-721-4997 for Reno

I'm a PSR (Ops Chief for 12th MCD). Our doors are open to those Marines who were discharged with a good RE Code (typically 1A, 3N, 3O, or 3V) and wish to "play ball" again. Getting back in as a PSEP (Prior Service Enlistment Package) takes place between yourself and a regular Recruiter (not a PSR). Unfortunately, the Marine Corps has taken drastic steps in reshaping end strength #'s for ACDU. That being said, most regular Recruiters have not processed PSEP Marines systematically for about 3 1/2 yrs. Your best bet would be to work with a PSR and he can get your foot back in the door (pending any issues you may have). We put strong Marines back into the SMCR/IMA program. If you show a definitive commitment & leadership skills with the SMCR/IMA unit you're attached with, you can submit for the Active Reserve (AR) program via the PSR. The AR program puts you back on ACDU (3-4 yr contracts with I&I units) and allows you to complete 20 yrs of service IOT retire. Please feel free to email me @ mario.p.cruz1@usmc.mil and I can point you in the right direction.
    GySgt Mario Cruz

Thread Information