Question about the wall
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Question about the wall

was just wondering how the wall is aranged...so that you can finde the names of your brothers...buy year they were KIA , alphabeticaly or some other???
    thanks

Almost certain it's by date then alpha.

They are in chronological order, according to the date of casualty within each day, the names are alphabetized. For the dead, the date of casualty is the date they were wounded (received in combat) or injured (received in an accident); for the missing, the date they were reported to be missing. The list starts and ends at the vertex (apex), beginning at the date 1959 (with first two names listed from the date of July 8, 1959) and the inscription (IN HONOR OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES WHO SERVED IN THE VIETNAM WAR. THE NAMES OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES AND OF THOSE WHO REMAIN MISSING ARE INSCRIBED IN THE ORDER THEY WERE TAKEN FROM US.) on panel 1E and going out to the end of the East wall, appearing to recede into the earth (numbered 70E - May 25, 1968), then resuming at the end of the West wall, as the wall emerges from the earth (numbered 70W - continuing May 25, 1968) and ending with the date of 1975 and its inscription (OUR NATION HONORS THE COURAGE, SACRIFICE AND DEVOTION TO DUTY AND COUNTRY OF ITS VIETNAM VETERANS. THIS MEMORIAL WAS BUILT WITH PRIVATE CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. NOVEMBER 11, 1982) at the bottom of 1W (last 18 names listed are from May 15, 1975). Thus the war's beginning and end meet; the war's complete, coming full circle, yet broken by the earth that bounds the angle's open side and contained within the earth itself. Although 1959 is marked as the beginning on Panel 1, East wall, a Captain (Army) Harry G. Cramer was killed 21 October 1957 during a training action. He is listed on line 78, panel 1, East wall, which was added approximately a year after the Memorial was dedicated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    thank you

Credits
    Savings
    Images

They are in chronological order, according to the date of casualty within each day, the names are alphabetized.

http://thewall-usa.com/information.asp

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    was just wondering how the wall is aranged...so that you can finde the names of your brothers...buy year they were KIA , alphabeticaly or some other???
    thanks

The wall is awesome and something to see during any time of the year. To me, being a biker, the best time to see it is during Rolling Thunder in late May. I've been there 4 time, first time in 86, last time in 07.

During Rolling Thunder there are sometimes 500K+ bikers there, mostly military vets, and a lot of Nam vets. Much of the Rolling Thunder is the process of getting there. There are two main rides that start out in California, 1 north, the other south. Along the way they make stops and pick up riders as they head east. Besides these main rider groups there are thousand of smaller groups headed for DC. The main groups and many of the smaller ones meet at one of the Virginia rest stops just south of Winchester. Then, 10's of thousands of bikers ride into DC together, all headed for the wall. What a sight.

On Sunday there's a Veterans biker parade, but, after you've done it a couple of times I think it might be better to watch, though I've always ridden in the parade. Staging for the parade is about 5-6 hours. Truly an amazing weekend.

Here's a link to the 2010 parade with a Marine SSGT in his Blues, very patriotic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfnmDGk0KM

I have visited The Wall twice on Veterans Day in 2000, and 2002. It's something that needs to be experienced to be understood and appreciated. I recommend all "in country" Nam Vets visit at least once.

Visiting the Marine Corps Memorial (aka the Iwo Jima Memorial) dedication ceremony on the Marine Corps birthday, the day before Veterans Day, is inspiring too.

I 'm not a biker, but I want to visit on Memorial Day, and witness the Rolling Thunder.

The Wall

The wall is arranged by date. There ia a book at both enterances that list (by name) each panel and line number of your brothers and sisters listed there. If you have not visited there I highly recommend it, it is a great healing place.

I was at the Wall on the morning -- Sunday, the second day following its inaugural. Any of you who were also there will recall that the concrete path had not been installed; instead, sheets of 4x8 plywood were laid over the mud from the previous rain. What was so startling, mud bubbled up between the plywood sheets, the water gurgling onto wood. It was an instant flashback back across the pond. Bad timing for me. Almost lost it. Have been back a number of times since, the last in 2005.

This a paragraph from the frequently asked questions at the VVMF website.

"We are often asked to add a name that DOD has not approved. We do not have the authority to do this. Much emotion has surrounded the question of names not included on the list. Many families whose sons were taken from them in service during the Vietnam era but in other areas, as well as those whose loved ones died consequent to their return from the war (casualties of Agent Orange or PTSD-induced suicide), have expressed great disappointment that their loves one's name was not on the Memorial. Such cases have our deepest sympathy and respect, yet as they do not fit the parameters as described above, these names cannot be added to the Memorial."

I have a hard time accepting this and I know someone here will give me their thoughts. I would like to see my husband's name added to the wall. He did two tours of Vietnam, was shot twice and received two Purple Hearts. He did not come home and went right back out there. We worked/lived our lives and he sufferered a heart attack at 42... which was the start of 20 years of health issues. He did not apply for VA benefits until 2006, they streamlined his application rated him at 240% and was approved in less than 6 months. They also paid additional as a homebound Veteran.

Agent Orange was what killed him and that happened in Vietnam! They approved me for widow benefits quite rapidly and sent me a check to reimburse burial funds. In my opinion since his death was service-connected and he was exposed in country...he should be eligible. It has been two years since he died and I keep thinking about this. I am ready to fight now... Am I out of line here?

Also.. do your family a favor! I wish I knew more about where he was in Vietnam.. He was a cradle robber (lol) and I don't remember the names of places he fought. I wish I did! He was with 3rd bat 5th Marines and was lucky enough to meet Fr. Cappodanno.

Gina

Gina - I am sorry for your loss. You said he was with 3rd bat 5th Marines, so was I, I was there in 68. When was he there and what was his name, I may have known him, we may have shared the same mud. I'm only 100%, they've cut out 5 skin cancers from me so far, gotta go back next week as it appears one has come back as they did not get all of it.

All the men I served with had the highest honor and were true Marines. Once again, I am sorry for your loss. S/F

Thank you! I am looking at his DD-214..

Inclusive dates of service in Vietnam: 28 Dec66 - 31Dec67 20May70-21May70
    11Jun70-12 Jun70 & 29Dec70 - 02Jan71

It shows last duty as 1st Marine Division at Camp Pen.. I know he was with the 3rd bat 5th Marines Mike Co too. He had that on his license plate M3567. It meant Mike Company 3rd bat 5th Marines 1967. I will send you a pm with his name..I don't think they put real names in forums very often.

Thread Information