Tattoo Waiver Denied. What Next?
Closed Thread

Tattoo Waiver Denied. What Next?

Hello, my name is Robert. I had a question regarding my recent denial for a tattoo waiver. I have a tattoo of 3 outlining stars with dice in the middle on my left elbow. The 3 stars represents three of my family members who have served overseas and the dice means "life is a gamble," meaning you never know what is going to happen in life, but you have to pull through. Nothing racist, discriminatory, prejudice, sexist, etc. The tattoo cannot be covered by my hand as revealed in the new tattoo policy. My tattoo according to my recruiter, went all the way up the chain of command to the general who didn't look at my statement, references, college transcripts, eagle scout certificate, or anything else in my package. The general apparently just looked at my pictures and denied them. Though I respect his decision, I want to know what I should do. Should I talk to my recruiters CO or someone in higher command to try and persuade them? From what I understand a waiver can be approved by others than the general but most of the time they don't like to make the decision. Captain Beach (a CO) called me and told me that I looked outstanding on paper, but that I had to get my tattoo removed in order for the Corps to entertain my request to enlist. I am convinced that there is another way. Please Help?!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    There really isn't another way, if it went all the way up to a General like you say (which I highly doubt) there isn't going to be anyone who you can appeal to. The Marine Corps cracked down even harder on the tattoo policy recently, if it can't be covered by a knife hand then you are not getting in. Especially considering there are numerous other cleaner cut(no tattoos) people lining up to enlist.

Get it removed. Join. Problem Solved.

"Im convinced there's another way"" you will have a hard time in the Marines, your issue went up the chain of command, they gave you an option remove the tattoo or dont join --pretty simple.

The Air Force is waiting.

The general apparently just looked at my pictures and denied them.
    That's his prerogative.
    The Marine Corps doesn't work like the civilian world where when the authorities tell you no you can go around them or "find another way". That's not how it works. Come in to the Corps thinking like that is not going to make good things happen to you.

An officer of the United States Marine Corps issued an order that, if you want to join, you will remove the tattoo. If being a Marine is what you want, then I suggest you act like one and say "Aye Sir".

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    That's his prerogative.
    The Marine Corps doesn't work like the civilian world where when the authorities tell you no you can go around them or "find another way". That's not how it works. Come in to the Corps thinking like that is not going to make good things happen to you.

An officer of the United States Marine Corps issued an order that, if you want to join, you will remove the tattoo. If being a Marine is what you want, then I suggest you act like one and say "Aye Sir".
    That's exactly the way it is. Being in the Corps is more than a test of your physical abilities or ability to make a good score on the ASVAB. It's even more than a desire to be one of the few, it's a MINDSET. One that has to be able to make on the spot decisions and most importantly, FOLLOW THE ORDERS given to you by your superiors. That is what was done here. Your only option is to get it removed or don't join. There really isn't anything else you can do.

Plain and simple, a General denied your request. The buck stops there. Like Beltayn said, this is not the civilian world, things don't work that way in the Armed Forces. You have one option and one option only, get the tat removed and try again...

here is a funny one----- go to the recruiter and tell him you want to request mass..............it seems the cool phrase thrown around to scare higher ups is request mass..........

Remove the tattoo, problem solved. End of story.

As others stated, real simple...remove it.

Oh, and to "assume" the General didn't review your packet is wrong. Unless you know that for a FACT, as in, the General told you "Didn't bother with your paperwork, saw the tat and said 'Ceeya'!", you are kidding yourself.

Either lose the tat and deal with it, or try another branch. Those are the ONLY options you have.

I enlisted with a couple tattoos that are visible in PT gear. (I got a waiver shot down when I was applying for OCS, but that's another story)

You have a couple choices -

1. Get it removed. It'll take about a year depending on how reactive the ink is to treatment. It's not cheap either. Think around $300 every couple months.

2. Wait. The Marine Corps can be a little more picky than usual. There are not a lot of opportunities on the civilian side due to the economy, so they are lining up to join the military and get job security, steady pay, benefits etc. As soon as the economy turns around, people will be able to get higher paying jobs in the civilian world, the Marine Corps might have to loosen some standards to make numbers, and the tattoo restrictions might get dropped sooner than, say, felony convictions and physical fitness standards.

I would just go ahead and get it removed.

And thus the answers are here. Closed.

Thread Information