Amazing!
Create Post

Thread: Amazing!

Amazing!

It amazes me how there are two topics under the forum for afghanistan. I expected there to be alot of questions about this region. The two topics here are indeed serving a purpose, yet regardless whether the new Marines like it or not, at one point they will probally end up serving here. It just amazes me how there arent a million questions and advice being posted here. Any takers? And yes I can answer some questions. My knowledge is limited to northern and southern Marjeh, but all in all im sure everything posted here will help lead Marines.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG1990tn View Post
    It amazes me how there are two topics under the forum for afghanistan. I expected there to be alot of questions about this region. The two topics here are indeed serving a purpose, yet regardless whether the new Marines like it or not, at one point they will probally end up serving here. It just amazes me how there arent a million questions and advice being posted here. Any takers? And yes I can answer some questions. My knowledge is limited to northern and southern Marjeh, but all in all im sure everything posted here will help lead Marines.
    I am going to assume your not a poolee anymore??

edit: just looked you up on MOL, we're good

Change your viewing settings to more than the last month.

Part of this has to do with OpSec I would guess. And I changed your status LOL

Heading there in two months, any advice that I probably havn't had yet?

I have a nephew that is going to boot camp in the next couple of weeks. Any idea how long operations are going to be going on in Afghanistan or what chance he has of being deployed from his reserve unit? I think he wants to go. Thanks in advance for your expertise and all you Marines do!

There is a lot of open source information coming through the news about Afghanistan right now. In particular the relatively recent shura resulting in an agreement between the Alakozai tribe and Taliban local to Sangin district to stand up to out of area Taliban (namely Queta, Pakistan). Many Pashtun feel Pakistanis are meddlesome and abhor their machinations in Afghanistan. Anyway, its an exciting time in Kajaki and Sangin right now. If you were to google "afghanistan" and click the 'news' tab, you could come up with a lot of information. Similarly, if you would get on to Early Bird's website, you can find a rather informative summation of news pertinent to military persons. You just need to be an active member of the DoD to log in.

If interested on further information, Ahmed Rashid is generally considered a subject matter expert. Steven Coll also has a great book called "Ghost Wars" that won the Pulitzer Prize.

Thread Information