Can I get promoted in IRR?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I get promoted in IRR?

I've been out of the service now for 3 years, and I was wondering if I can still get promoted?
    During my time in I had my warrant for Sgt torn up in front of me but now I have seen the latest IRR scores and I definitely qualify for promotion, can I get it? Do I need to call someone?

It was my goal in the Marine Corps to make Sgt. I was put on weight control even though I scored a 281 PFT back in 2006. I really wanted it, since it was a goal of mine for a very long time.

Anyone know? I tried to get a hold of people at Manpower but they are all off at a Christmas party.

my husband was promoted to Sgt 3 months after he was out, it automatcially promoted him, they mailed him his cerficate, and whatnot. check your MOL. you just have to have the score, even when you're "inactive" your still on contract.

Well its been 3 years since I have been out. I still have a score, I checked my MOL and it doesn't say anything about being promoted.

you check under "messages" that's where he was notified. not sure if there's really anyone you can contact, my husbands was all done automatically. possibly there's something else lacking, like MCI's or something? IDK

Nothing is lacking. Trust me. I'll check my messages.

Nope, nothing in my messages.

Why was your warrant tore up?

Quote Originally Posted by Wood5831 View Post
    Why was your warrant tore up?
    SSgt, the story goes like this.

When I was in , I had always scored 270+ on the PFT. But I was considered "over-weight" because I have very dense muscle. Max weight was 181 for my height and I weighed 183. I could never pass the tape. But because I still looked good in the uniform and never had gotten in any serious trouble (page 11's or NJP) the command turned a blind eye to me.
    Well, we had a Commanding General Inspection coming up, so everything had to be done by the book. So I got spotlighted and flagged for "weight control".
    As i was before my CO, I saw my promotion warrent. But it was destroyed and I got a Page 11 for weight control.
    I was put on weight control for 9 months. During this time I went from 183 to 215 because they had me working out twice a day, with weights and cardio and they made me report on everything I ate. During this time my PFT went from 270ish to 281. And yet I still could not pass the tape. And yet again, my chance for promotion came and went.

And during this time, I had Marines who I worked with, with big old beer guts, who barely got Class 2 PFT or somewhere in the 3rd class, but were under weight get promoted.

I hate to be a whinny *****, but getting Sgt was very important to me.

eh, I emailed Manpower and they told me to call in and talk to a civvie about it, so I shall do that next week.

Ahhh **** so close too.

That is why I feel the BCP is outdated and using inaccurate methods of testing a persons bodyfat. I always felt that if a Marine PT'd their ass off and looked good in uniform then so be it. However, there is a standard to follow regardless if I liked it. If a Marine was overweight, why make them do weights/cardio twice a day? It makes no sense. Make the second workout, straight cardio,running or something that involved burning more calories that will trim the Marine down. Not add bulk. Most Marines who have a big bodymass bulk up when you add weight training. Again, a broken system that dicks Marines over.

Also bull**** that others who are worse are not held to the same standards. If you are going to fuel the fire, make sure you use all the fuel or do not do it at all.

1. What was your reenlistment code when you got out?
    2. Did you ever get within standards?

If you never got within standards then you should have received a bad reenlistment code, and you would still be non-rec'd. If you did get within standards then you should have been eligible for promotion before you EAS'd.

Wood5831 - exactly how I feel but I may be ****ed off about it, but it is the rules so I don't blame them too much. Just disappointed in it and I told my XO about being disappointed before I got out.

Chadly - Seperation Code MBK1, Re-entry code RE-3P

RE-3P- Physical disability (includes discharge and transfer to TDRL). Obesity. Motion sickness. Disqualified for officer candidate training.

This is straight from the seps manual:
    Recommended by CO upon removal of disqualifying factor. SRB entry required stating reason for assignment. Individual Marine must sign SRB entry. CMC authority required for reenlistment.

Still looking for promotion information.

According to MCO P1400.32D you have to be eligible for promotion.

Page 2-19 paragraph 2

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal...0P1400.32D.pdf

Since you were not eligible at the time of discharge, I would say the chances are slim.

Thanks, SSgt. I guess I shall just have to wait and see what Manpower says.

Thread Information