Anyone from 2d or 3d marines during Vietnam
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Anyone from 2d or 3d marines during Vietnam

Hello my name is Javier Maggio. I have never served as a US Marine, but my dad did during the Vietnam War. As far as I know, my dad was a LCpl. in the 2d or 3d Marines. My family, on multiple occasions, has tried to pull any service records of my father's, and something as simple as his dd214 "doesn't exist" according to the NAR. My dad's dd214 copy was received years earlier but was lost as well as the original, but the copy stated that he was a file clerk in NC and never left the United States (no idea about the original). I have his transport docs and it shows my dad was in okinawa. We also have pictures that were sent to his family when he was in Cambodia. If you read about the 2d marines on wikipedia, it says that they stayed states-side throughout the Cold War and weren't called upon until the Persian Gulf War. I'm having trouble understanding these military docs so sorry in advance for saying something that may be stupid. It seems he transferred to the MaintBn organization (maintenance I believe), 3d Force Sevice Regiment. On a "original orders" paper of my dad's, it states: "Subj: Permanent Change of Station Orders". At the very bottom of this page there is a stamp, not written "HEADQUARTERS, 2D MARDIV, FMF, CLNC". How I came across this site is google found a thread left by a member who was looking for other veterans from the 2d Marine division. My question is this: if 2d marines weren't used and my dad was transferred to maintenance, how in the world would he have seen combat. He had several medals including a Purple Heart and Sharpshooter.

My dad returned to the States and tried to go back to normal life. After college he met mom and they started a family. After losing his job, health, and relationships, life took it's toll on my dad. The life my father experienced was too much for him and he ended up taking his own life. Like so many other vets, his story was never told because he couldn't talk about it. If there is anyone out there that ever served in 2d or 3d marines that could maybe make sense of these papers, or would know about how to contact some those men, I would really appreciate it. My father's name was Hernan Alberto Maggio. most guys just called him Al or Albert. I know my dad didn't kill himself for no reason, he was tough son of a gun, and didn't get the nickname "Mad Dog" for no reason. I would really like to put this to rest not just for my sake, but for the rest of the family as well. Thanks again in advance.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

2/9 & 3/9 were in Vietnam they were under the 9th Marines Division.

http://www.2ndbattalion9thmarines.org/about.html

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Most records have been declassified even Recon, Special ops etc.. some Black ops may be still classified. I find it unusual that the National Archives had nothing on record for you I fine that a bit strange. You also can contact

National Personnel Records Center
    Military Personnel Records
    9700 Page Avenue
    St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

I am sorry to hear about your father.

Semper Fi

LOL not to be rude, but my husband was 1/1/1. He said once a unit was wiped out you got sent to the next. Therefore he may have served in the same units as your dad. My husband's records show he was stationed in Barstow California as a warehouse worker his entire enlistment, although his records show 1 year and 26 days overseas. Does not say where or when he was overseas nor where he was stationed. He spoke of small units of men, he was also a Cpl, Cpl Joseph S Denillo. Sadly he passed away Sept 24 2008, he always said I would never be able to find out anything about his life in the Corps and if I did they would have to kill me. He had a dry sense of humor. Sadly most information is still classified. Hang on to the picture and be thankful for the "job" you father gave his "All" for. He was and will always be a Marine! or as my husband would say "SEMPER FI"

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I dont think the 2nd Marine Division saw action in Viet Nam. How ever the 2nd.bn/3rd Marine regt. was in Nam from 65-69. I beleive they were under command of the 3rd.Mar. Div.

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    2/9 & 3/9 were in Vietnam they were under the 9th Marines Division.

http://www.2ndbattalion9thmarines.org/about.html
    Riven, I believe 2/9 and 3/9 were with the 3rd Marine Division in the Nam.

Son of Mad Dog - your post is confusing as it's hard to tell if you mean 2nd or 3rd Marine Regiments, or 2nd or 3rd Marine Divisions. The 2nd Marine Division was not in the Nam, I believe they were east coast, USA, I could be wrong.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    2nd Marine Division out of CLNC was not sent to Vietnam.

And I will say again, my FR told me I would never find anything on him, so far he is right. It may not be important to anyone else except to me. This was a Marine who had a strong and meaningful presence in my life for 23 years. He called me "Polly Anna" and worried about what would happen to me after he was gone. So which ever one of you Marines told me "what does it matter", you may have a point. Semper Fi

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks to all who responded. I finally got some papers like the dd214. the records were under the name Herman Maggio. i saw on his Cpl promotion page that it was addressed to Herman. bingo. i still really don't know how to make sense of them but i'll do my best. my dad did six years, 3 active duty, 3 reserve. the years in active were 8/17/1971 to 8/16/1974. reserve ended 8/16/77. it says during the three years active 11 months and 26 days were spent overseas. my dad received a purple heart but the medal isn't wrote on the page. Most papers indicate he never lefts NC but he had two offenses and punishments that say H&SCo, MaintBn, 3dFSR, FMFPac. im assuming that was the company he was in.
    His records of promotion state;
    the combat history page is blank except for the NDSM he got. military and civilian occupational page shows basicMPman, basicMTman (both crossed out), then MtrVehOpr. most of the rest of the papers seem pretty basic but one page is stamped in big black letters "FILE IN CASE" and stamped at the bottom "UNCLASSIFIED". After that are a few pages with the outline but what was stamped on them didn't copy over, as were a few other pages throughout the whole stack. most of it is just meaningless info but i'd still at least like the option of not reading it. this cleared up a few things but brought up more, i guess i will talk to my uncle and report back with any thing else that he can shed some light on. if anybody else has anything to offer about my new post i would greatly appreciate it.

advanced, i'm sorry i can't be more clear as i have trouble make sense military jargon. unfortunately health reasons have kept me from enlisting.

frsoldlady, i don't think you were being rude at all. my dad said that he had a similar experience with being the only one to come out alive and i figured i'd never be able to contact the guys he served with. but if its true like you husband said, my dad would have just been stuck in with another bunch of guys and sent back out. some of them are hopefully still alive.

thanks again for everyone who responded to my thread, and sorry for not filling out a profile before hand. didn't read the rules. message me if anyone has anything to add or inquire about.

Javier Maggio

Son of Mad Dog now that you have the papers go get several copies made and take the original papers to the county court and have them put in the volt for you.

Quote Originally Posted by billy collins View Post
    I dont think the 2nd Marine Division saw action in Viet Nam. How ever the 2nd.bn/3rd Marine regt. was in Nam from 65-69. I beleive they were under command of the 3rd.Mar. Div.
    that is correct marine. I was with 3/9

I am currently doing a PhD on tourism to Iraq and Afghanistan

I am trying to find people who have travelled to Afghanistan as toursits and who might be interested in participating in some online research. Unfortunately it does have to be non work related so I’ve had to rule out security contractors, journalists and NGO’s unless they have organised their own trip around Afghanistan at the start of end or their contract. (although more than willing to share my research results so if you are interested let me know….)

Victoria Lindsay

I was with the 3rd Battalion 3rd Marines out of camp schwab okinawa then assigned to 2nd Battalion 1st Marines 1965 to aug 1966 Vietnam.

I was in the 3rd Marine division in Vietnam 68/69 northern I Corps and I thought everyone was too and that they ran the show !

Thread Information