Boot Pay
Create Post

Thread: Boot Pay

Boot Pay

OK, so let me get this straight.

I'm a contract PFC and the monthly pay for FY11 is $1645.

Does this mean that I'll have earned $4935 while at boot?

Dont forget you need to pay for your uniforms and stuff. You will also have taxes taken out.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by code7 View Post

yes you'll have earned that but you won't have near that much in your account on graduation day.

There is quite a few expenses that get automatically taken out of your pay while at boot camp.

I got 135 bucks a month, you will be rich,lol, Semper Fidelis.

You'll have about two grand.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    I got 135 bucks a month, you will be rich,lol, Semper Fidelis.
    I started at $96 a month in January 67.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    I started at $96 a month in January 67.
    Ya but that was when gas was like 10 cents a gallon and a burger and coke a nickel. And you could probably pick up a zlut for a dollar, you can't even get a burger for a dollar nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by martinj View Post
    Ya but that was when gas was like 10 cents a gallon and a burger and coke a nickel. And you could probably pick up a zlut for a dollar, you can't even get a burger for a dollar nowadays.
    Gas was 30 some cents, burger, fries and a coke about 50 some cents and I never had to pay for the zluts - they were available for free.

In the Nam in the beginning of 69 as a Cpl over 2 with combat pay and overseas pay I was making $360 a month.

Damn things change huh?

Quote Originally Posted by martinj View Post
    Damn things change huh?
    Yeah, the good ol' days. I was there again just last night.

One thing I'd like to tell you martinj - they never told me the dreams would last this long.

Uniforms, taxes, a plane ticket to MCT/ITB, $300 pre-paid credit card for PX calls (buying items there), and some other crap..

I think I graduated with a little over $2,000

Quote Originally Posted by code7 View Post

Egads, this is NUTS!

When I was at boot at PI in 1967, we got $82.50 (E1 under 6 months) which after taxes etc, we got a bit over $30 per payday.

Cokes were a nickel, smokes were 15 cents a pack, phone calls were a dime (5 cents in Louzianna), gas was 29.9 cents for regular (leaded), we did NOT pay (as I recall) for uniforms or any other gear. The first issue was 'free', and we paid thereafter for replacements as the gear wore out or we grew out of them. 782 gear was issued at whatever base we were at. Turned in when PCS orders came in. Re-issued at next base. No $$$ involved unless we lost something.

After a bit of time, and E1 over 6 months got $87.50 I think. Not much. But we always had a nickel or two in our pockets. Combat pay in Nam was $55/mo. I couldn't spend all that money! And now you guys get $1600 bucks! Of course, those bucks you get today are much smaller than the ones we got back in the sixties. 8-P

Dec 67 while at staging at Pendleton, I was a Lance under two clearing $60 a payday. Of course in the Nam, I could live on $10-$15 a payday because you could only buy so many 10 cent bears and $1.50 cartons of Mar. reds and $2 mamasons.

In the Nam when the Eagle Shiit, you were paid in MPC and you never wanted too much excess. You see, if you were out in the bush when they changed the MPC what you had was now worthless. Fighting the black market you know. They changed it 4-5 times while I was there if I recall correctly.

I left Boot with about 1800 after paying for my tickets and everything, and that was private pay. It all depends on your tickets, and how much you spend at the PX and what little things you buy, like year books and DVD's and pictures. One of my friends spent $800 on pictures and all the little trinkets they offer.

They pay Boots? I got theses chits during basic and that was used for your essentials at the PX, such as shaving cream, tooth brush, tooth paste, boot polish, emnu, and brasso. The rest went to uniforms and your ticket back home for 10 day leave before heading to your new unit after boot. My, how things have changed......

Thread Information