?'s about female marines
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation ?'s about female marines

i am 17 yrs old, and i am gonna join the usmc, been to pi mcrd once with high school for a hell week with a rotc class, and then thats when i decided that i wanted to be come a marine, but the ? i have is if to join being a female what jobs are open to females? cause i have talked with a recruiter and i dont feel as if they are giving it to me straight about what i can and can not do, i know it also depends on your asvab score, but i still would like to know. i cant do much till i turn 18 cause my family is dead set against me joining the marines but i just want to start looking, so any female marines, or any marine in that matter can you help me know what all female jobs in the corp there is.

Anything but 03XX. Good Luck

So why do you think the recruiter isn't "giving it to you straight." That's their job. They don't need to lie to recruit you. Have you seen the waiting list lately? They get to pick and choose the best "candidates."

Credits
    Savings
    Images

@brittneyjohnson

Being married your chances are cut in half. Not becasue you are not going to qualify but becasue you would be a waiver. Waivers are hard to come by these days at HQMC Quantico Virginia and the Enlisted Recruiting Branch. I see that you are home schooled and live in Arizona? Did you get a state certification? Do you have any college credits. It seems odd to me that You would like to become a Marine but you are under 18 but it is ok that you are married.

Gunny out
    Semper Fi

crpl m: thnxz
    tdrt: the reason i dont think he is giving it to me straight is because my step father was recruiter, and he told me how recruiter will tell you what you want to hear, as so did my father and uncle and cousin.
    gysgtret: im not married yet but we claim to be, i have my home school diploma, and no i do not have any college credits. i know i am under 18 but i turn 18 in april, and i plan on moving back east to join.

Quote Originally Posted by brittneyjohnson View Post
    crpl m: thnxz
    tdrt: the reason i dont think he is giving it to me straight is because my step father was recruiter, and he told me how recruiter will tell you what you want to hear, as so did my father and uncle and cousin.
    gysgtret: im not married yet but we claim to be, i have my home school diploma, and no i do not have any college credits. i know i am under 18 but i turn 18 in april, and i plan on moving back east to join.
    So if they were recruiters and know all, why ask us?

Im not 100% sure on this with home schooling, but with GED candidates they have to complete so many credit hours in college before they can enlist, so you might want to ask your recruiter that as well. I think its like 14 credits need to be earned somewhere a long them lines. But like I said thats for GED people not to sure on the home schooling part. In fact you being home school just makes you smarter than the average graduating senior. I don't know if thats a fact, but with public schools these days it prolly is. Best of luck, you can do anything asvab permitting expect infantry or combat arms, like tanks lavs and such pretty much anything were your soul mission could be to find and slay the oppressors of freedom. Now anything that supports those guys who do that you can do. Which still will give you a good chance of find yourself down range pending on what you pick of course.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

@egbutler1

My point exactly about college credits. But the home school stuff definatley agree with you. Thems kids are good to go...The Marine Corps is very selective in prospects these days and always have been physically, mentaly, and morally qualified has never changed. You just cain't get waivers if your DQ'd by one of them. This will probably turn out ok @brittneyjohnson since you won't need a dependent waiver.

my 2 cents

Gunny out
    Semper Fi

DECEMBER 9--While she strangely denied serving in the armed forces, military records show that the actress Bea Arthur spent 30 months in the Marine Corps, where she was one of the first members of the Women’s Reserve and spent time as a typist and a truck driver.

The "Maude" and "The Golden Girls" star, who died last year at age 86, enlisted in early-1943 when she was 21 (and known as Bernice Frankel). In a February 1943 letter included in her Marine personnel file, Arthur gave military officials a brief account of her prior employment as a food analyst at a Maryland packing plant, a hospital lab technician, and an office worker at a New York loan company.

Arthur was due to start a new job, but she “heard last week that enlistments for women in the Marines were open, so decided the only thing to do was to join.” While she hoped for an assignment in ground aviation, Arthur noted that she was “willing to get in now and do whatever is desired of me until such time as ground schools are organized.” She added, “As far as hobbies are concerned, I’ve dabbled in music and dramatics.”

As part of the enlistment process, Arthur underwent interviews that resulted in the production of “personality appraisal” sheets. One such analysis described her conversation as “Argumentative” and her attitude and manner as “Over aggressive.” In a handwritten note, the Marine interviewer remarked, “Officious--but probably a good worker--if she has her own way!”

Arthur is pictured here in an official Marine photo taken shortly after her enlistment. A second undated portrait can be seen above.

Arthur, who was fingerprinted during enlistment, started basic training in March 1943 and was initially assigned as a typist at Marine headquarters in Washington, D.C.. Over the following two years, Arthur was stationed at Marine Corps and Navy air stations in Virginia and North Carolina. During her military career, Arthur’s rank went from private to corporal to sergeant to staff sergeant, the title she held upon her honorable discharge in September 1945, according to one document.

On a Marine qualification card that included a section titled “Talent for furnishing public entertainment,” Arthur is credited for “piano & organ 13 years” and “contralto-orchestra.” Her “active hobbies” included hunting with a .22 caliber rifle and “bow and arrow.”

A year after her enlistment, Arthur married a fellow Marine, Private Robert Aurthur, in a ceremony presided over by a city judge in Ithaca, New York. She then formally had her named changed in military records to Bernice Aurthur. It would change again, to Bea Arthur, as she started her post-military career as an actress.

The military records, released in response to a Freedom of Informaton Act request, include a single “misconduct report” filed against Arthur while she was stationed at the Marine Corps Air Station in Cherry Point, North Carolina. That misconduct determination stemmed from Arthur’s contracting of a venereal disease, which left her “incapacitated for duty” for five weeks in late-1944. As a result, her pay was reduced for that period.

For some reason, Arthur did not speak about her time with the Marines. In fact, in a videotaped interview (excerpted below) conducted as part of an Academy of Television Arts & Sciences archives project, Arthur flatly denied serving in the military. When an interviewer said that she had read somewhere that Arthur had once joined the Marines, the actress answered, “Oh, no. No.” She then continued a chronological review of her life by noting that, in 1947, she enrolled in dramatic school in New York. (5 pages)

Bea Arthur Was A Truck-Driving Marine

Neat stuff on Bea Arthur!

Getting back to the point....

The recruiter has no reason to lie. Quite frankly, the Marine Corps doesn't NEED you at this point. There is no shortage of volunteers, male or female. So why lie?

Your stepfather might have been a recruiter...but the question is, HOW long ago? A decade? More? What was true then isn't true now.

The jobs that aren't available to you are 'combat arms'. Infantry, Artillery, Tanks. Pretty much everything else is open.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brittneyjohnson View Post
    .gysgtret: im not married yet but we claim to be, i have my home school diploma, and no i do not have any college credits. i know i am under 18 but i turn 18 in april, and i plan on moving back east to join.
    what?....

first off at 17 why would you want to CLAIM to be married??

second, when joining you can't just claim to be something you're not.

third, with a home school diploma you will need to get some college credits in order to enlist (not sure how many it is anymore...12 or 15?)

Good call...I missed that detail. I can claim to be a biscut but that don't make it so.

If all you have is a home school diploma, AND an eventual marriage certificate to go with it, you are going to have MAJOR issues enlisting. Too many waivers.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I can claim to be a biscuit but that don't make it so.
    What kinda biscuit?

Why would you embellish something about marriage?

Your either married or your not.....

You can stake a claim all day long....unless you have the legal documents....you have no claim.....or standing.

It has always been a two side story.....My recruiter lied.....my recruiter was great and straight up....

There maybe a few.....but....today that is few and far between....recruiters are having no trouble because of time of war and economic decline to have qualified applicants with no laundry list banging on the RSS hatch....

Waiver can be had but hard to come by.....

Anything that you do schooling....marriage....dependents ....legal troubles...and medical you need legal documentation to support that claim....

Don't start off a quest by doing something that you may regret further down the road.

Recruiting has changed....the USMC is well and thriving with prospective recruits.....

I'm a hot buttered biscut

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I'm a hot buttered biscut

Yea, and I'm not married,,,,my wife is.

Thread Information