Weight requirements
Create Post

Weight requirements

So I'm 5'9" 180 lbs about 9% body fat, shipping out for basic in about 7 mo for 0311. Apparently my weight limit is 186 lbs and I'm looking to gain weight before basic, around 190-200lbs. Will this disqualify me from shipping or can I get a waver if I'm in good shape at that weight? Will the waver effect my job? Does anyone have recomendations for my weight? I appreciate all answers.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    why do you wanna gain weight before you leave?..I don't know your body type but at 5'9" at 180 I can imagine you are pretty husky. Why risk being over when you are going to lose that weight anyway

I'm very lean for my weight and I would like to improve my pullups from 13 to 20, I think the added 10-20lbs of muscle would allow me to complete close to the 20. My major concern is if that's too heavy and may hold be back in basic, and if I should just be content with 13 pullups.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEP072611 View Post
    I'm very lean for my weight and I would like to improve my pullups from 13 to 20, I think the added 10-20lbs of muscle would allow me to complete close to the 20. My major concern is if that's too heavy and may hold be back in basic, and if I should just be content with 13 pullups.
    first off, you are not going to put on 10-20 lbs of solid muscle in the next 6 months. Second if you want to do 20 pull ups then hit the pull up bar, max set every day.

You should not be content with 13 and should strive to do more but if you go to boot doing that many you'll be fine and far ahead of many other recruits.

work on your pull ups, run time, crunches, and fitness in general but I would advise against putting on weight.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it

From having just spent a month on PTAD working out of a recruiter's office...do NOT try to ship while being overweight by the standards that are in place. They can refuse to ship you if you are over your ship weight, period.

If you want a perfect IST when you ship, do as josephd suggested. There are plenty of programs running around these forums and the rest of the web as well, if thats your thing.

Also be very careful about trying to stack on weight after you are through boot camp and your schools. If I remember correctly my ship weight was close to 240 pounds, but the weight standard that I am held to now is somewhere in the region of 220 pounds. You can run a 300 PFT, but if you are overweight and can't tape out, you will still be put on BCP regardless. You do not want to go down that road.

Thread Information