How Can I Learn to Enjoy Running? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I find that the best way for someone that's newer to running to get in to it is by running for time; don't think about your pace or the distance, just get out there and run a prescribed amount of time every day, no matter how it goes just feel good about it because it WILL make you stronger. After doing this for a while you're going to get use to it both mentally and physically (in theory at least). Let your mind wander, I feel like my most relaxed/enjoyable runs are the ones where I'm deep in thought about the most random thing and I realize I've been running for 30 minutes already.
    When you feel like you're improving and getting more comfortable then you can pick things up. No matter the condition just go with what feels best to you. If you feel like running fast, run fast; if you're feeling like ****, run as slow as you want... just get it done. When it comes time to test do what it takes to keep yourself motivated, and check your form every now and then because it can really hurt/help your performance.

Personally I love running and I want to coach track when the time comes, but to be honest it's been a struggle about 75% of the time in this past year to get myself to do it. Once I take that first step it's going to happen though, and I always feel better for it.

When I run I realize that it's going to suck and going to make me really tired but I just enjoy the pain and pushing myself as hard as I can, because then you feel accomplished afterwards. I used to run XC back in HS and that sh!t always sucked but it was worth it seeing how fast you could run that 5k each week. I wish i could still run as fast as I used too. So the reason I enjoy it is because I like the feeling of accomplishment when I see my times getting better.

^I agree with this especially the first time I ran in a good time. I hate to put it like this but just go out there and get it done miss! I'm the type to start out ok and then just try to hurry up and get it done. Running the treadmill is a killer because I watch the time so hard and it makes it worse for me but running outside helps out alot because I have so much stuff I can look at rather then a clock. Thats why I HOPE in RT we'll run different routes so I can focus more on the scenary then the pain of my muscles tightening up but hopefully my legs will be use to running 3-5 miles before I go so I'll be alright.

Supposedly you do alot of sprints so hearing that is a big plus because I like to sprint and I burn myself out with the "hurry up and get it done" approach. I rather sprint everywhere then go do a conditioning run. I'll dread those days the DI's bust in saying "put your go fasters on recruits becauses we're going to do some running!"

In order to like running you have to do it a lot. Im at a pace now where I run 20-25 miles a week. You learn to love the pain.

I have had the same problem as you! I started running in July. Before that I had not run more than a mile in over 7 years. I had a lot of work to do. Now i'm running up to 6 miles. First off the treadmill sucks and is really boring i try to stay away from those. Try to run with someone so you have motivation to keep going and have a good pace, also conversing with someone makes the time fly by. Change things up, don't run the same course and distance, always mix it up. Stretch stretch and stretch some more. Stretch before you run, if you get sore stop and stretch and then some after and the next day. Stretching will help a lot! Stay distracted, don't focus on the fact that you are running it will drive you crazy. Ipod is a great way to keep your mind off the running. If you feel like you want to stop just tell yourself, "OK, i'm going to make it to the next light", and so on. Keep a good form always! Shoulders back, chin up, don't look at the ground, keep your eyes on the horizon. Just lean forward and push!

Well these are all things that have helped me with my run. Keep it up!

Shoes are really important as well. You need new running shoes every 6 months.

I was absolutely awful when I first started running about six months ago, and it took me about a month to figure out a system that worked for me. It really helps to break your run into smaller portions. For example, if I'm running a timed 3-mile on a track, I don't look at it as an entire three miles, I concentrate on each quarter mile lap. It might not sound like it helps much, but thinking "Just another half lap" makes it alot easier to push yourself past your limits than "Just another two and a half miles".

Run till it hurts, then run some more. Eventually you'll get what's called a 'runner's high', which is almost addictive; it feels absolutely amazing.

im in the same boat, i hate running and have only been going at it for about 3 weeks now. noticing improvements def. helps me stay motivated, also if you have a droid phone you can download a program with about 7 candences on there to listen to and scream while you run which really takes your mind off of it.

Thanks everybody, I'm getting better and better : )

Keep moto man!! you can do it! I thought i would always hate running but i get a high of it now. When i first wanted to join about 4 months ago i ran a 15:45 ist run, and i just started running every day. Then i discovered cadence, that helped me alot! now i call it for the other poolees to keep them motod on our runs. Doing humps or backpacking with weight will help as well just start slow so you dont hurt yourself. The MARSOC shortcard and the PT plan with it is a great plan. im running a 10:19 ist run now and a 22 min pft run but i never settle. Setting goals has been one of the most important things for me. i want to be running a 8 min ist run before i leave and a perfect pft run of 18 min. I have 3 months to get there and i know i can get it, but only if i work my ass of for it. so get some man!

Check it out! Go out and spend some money on brand new running shoes! Good running shoes.. not the ones from frikkin Rack Room.. I'm talking go to a running shop and buy some. To enjoy running you want to be comfortable. They will help you pick out a perfect running shoe. If you have an iPod or Mp3 player, put it in your ears and get out there and run! Think about something while running.. do not think about finishing your run. Running with other Poolees is good because you can compete with each other and talk and it opens your lungs up and makes you way more comfortable. If you need anymore help let me know!

Thread Information