Torn between 03XX or 2111 and a few questions
Create Post

Torn between 03XX or 2111 and a few questions

One quick question to start: Would it be appropriate to preface posts like this with "Good [morning/afternoon/evening], ladies and gentlemen." by way of courtesy? As I understand it, Poolees are to extend proper military courtesy (excluding salutes since we are not uniformed) to Marines, so I'm trying to get in the habit of doing so.

I finally got to swear in Wednesday, which was like a dream come true after working towards it for over ten months. Unfortunately, now I'm even more torn on what MOS to aim for than before, and I only have the next 26 days to get it figured out (not to mention the first-come-first-served nature I've heard about). As far as availability goes, I got a 98 ASVAB with line scores going from 134 to 145, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm mechanically-inclined, love all weapons from swords to automatic rifles to missiles, and enjoy both the abstracts of engineering and hands-on machining. My dream job would be working in military R&D; designing, building, and testing new weapons systems and upgrades to existing ones. To that end, I plan to pursue an officer commission while enlisted, whether through MECEP or just taking college courses a little along, since I'm given to understand that only officers would do the kind of work I want most.

My problem is this: I have a (completely irrational) desire to spend some time as a grunt, to see if I have what it takes. I feel like skipping that will leave me always wondering, and I hate regrets. I also feel that usage experience might be of benefit later in my career. On the other hand, my recruiter has told me that I should go straight into whatever field I want to make a career of. If any Marines have some advice for me on this, I'd really appreciate it.

Since I have a few other questions, I'll go ahead and stick them here to avoid needless clutter.

First, am I right in looking at 2111 as the best direction for an enlisted man aiming for R&D as an officer someday? So far, I haven't seen any other MOSs that would offer as much experience and understanding with a broad array of weapons systems, but my knowledge of Marine Corps enlisted MOSs is far from encyclopedic.

Second, several older threads on 2111 have stated the possibility of going out on patrol on occasion. Is this still the case? If so, is there any way to request such an assignment?

Last, I need some information on MECEP. My recruiter has told me that anyone is eligible so long as they can finish their degree before age 31, but I haven't been able to find any confirmation of that from other sources. Every online source I've checked puts the age requirement at simply no more than 26 to apply. Online sources also mention needing to be at least a Corporal (preferably Sergeant), which will be impossible for me unless I somehow managed to get promoted three or four times within less than a year and a half (and that's assuming I graduate boot camp with no delays). As much as I want to simply believe my recruiter, I want even more to not be blindsided by reality. Can any current or recently retired Marines give me some insight here? Also, will my poor performance in past college (from a couple years ago before I decided I needed to get my head screwed on straight; more details) kill any chance I might have had?

Thank you in advance for the assistance, Marines.

Go 03

First, congratulations on swearing in. It is a big step on the road to becoming a Marine.

With regards to choosing an enlisted MOS, choose what you want to do as an enlisted Marine. If you want a chance to become the focal point of the Marine Corps, the tip of the spear, choose an 0311 contract. If you want a chance to repair small arms for whichever unit you are assigned to, choose a 2111 contract. Remember that every job has its perks and every job has thing that make it suck, so do something that makes sense to you. At the end of the day whatever you choose make sure that it is something that you are committed to do for 4 years.

I'll shoot you a PM about MECEP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortillaen View Post
    One quick question to start: Would it be appropriate to preface posts like this with "Good [morning/afternoon/evening], ladies and gentlemen." by way of courtesy? As I understand it, Poolees are to extend proper military courtesy (excluding salutes since we are not uniformed) to Marines, so I'm trying to get in the habit of doing so.

I finally got to swear in Wednesday, which was like a dream come true after working towards it for over ten months. Unfortunately, now I'm even more torn on what MOS to aim for than before, and I only have the next 26 days to get it figured out (not to mention the first-come-first-served nature I've heard about). As far as availability goes, I got a 98 ASVAB with line scores going from 134 to 145, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm mechanically-inclined, love all weapons from swords to automatic rifles to missiles, and enjoy both the abstracts of engineering and hands-on machining. My dream job would be working in military R&D; designing, building, and testing new weapons systems and upgrades to existing ones. To that end, I plan to pursue an officer commission while enlisted, whether through MECEP or just taking college courses a little along, since I'm given to understand that only officers would do the kind of work I want most.

My problem is this: I have a (completely irrational) desire to spend some time as a grunt, to see if I have what it takes. I feel like skipping that will leave me always wondering, and I hate regrets. I also feel that usage experience might be of benefit later in my career. On the other hand, my recruiter has told me that I should go straight into whatever field I want to make a career of. If any Marines have some advice for me on this, I'd really appreciate it.

Since I have a few other questions, I'll go ahead and stick them here to avoid needless clutter.

First, am I right in looking at 2111 as the best direction for an enlisted man aiming for R&D as an officer someday? So far, I haven't seen any other MOSs that would offer as much experience and understanding with a broad array of weapons systems, but my knowledge of Marine Corps enlisted MOSs is far from encyclopedic.

Second, several older threads on 2111 have stated the possibility of going out on patrol on occasion. Is this still the case? If so, is there any way to request such an assignment?

Last, I need some information on MECEP. My recruiter has told me that anyone is eligible so long as they can finish their degree before age 31, but I haven't been able to find any confirmation of that from other sources. Every online source I've checked puts the age requirement at simply no more than 26 to apply. Online sources also mention needing to be at least a Corporal (preferably Sergeant), which will be impossible for me unless I somehow managed to get promoted three or four times within less than a year and a half (and that's assuming I graduate boot camp with no delays). As much as I want to simply believe my recruiter, I want even more to not be blindsided by reality. Can any current or recently retired Marines give me some insight here? Also, will my poor performance in past college (from a couple years ago before I decided I needed to get my head screwed on straight; more details) kill any chance I might have had?

Thank you in advance for the assistance, Marines.

I was a 2111 Armorer...if you still need questions answered...Pm me and I'll do what I can...thanks.

You're not guaranteed 2111, you could end up as AAV, LAV or something like that. Those jobs offer combat experience if that's what you're looking for. All of the LAV techs I know have CARs. They get to work on the weapon systems as well as the automotive side of it. I was considering the 21 side of things before enlisting, but i never was really into automotive stuff, didn't want t gamble with not getting 2111.

Getting shot at is highly overrated though. 2111's don't typically do combat stuff, but if you're looking at a future job in R&D for a firearms manufacturer it'd be a good way to go.

There is no chance that if you go into the Metal Works/ Ordnance Tech Program that you will end up a LAV Tech... When you get hitched on a specific MOS, make sure you ask your Recruiter to review the "Program" with you, there will always be other MOS's you could possibly be assigned to... As far as R&D, you should look into some of your Aviation Tech MOS's, or Repairer MOS's... You're not going to find an exact match for what you're interested in long term, however, your Tech/ Repairer MOS's will give you hands on experiences... Good Luck! S/F

Last edited by GyC; 12-05-10 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Thank you, Marines, for the information and advice. I think what I need to do is just swallow my pride and go where I will be of better use to the Corps. As much as I'd like to see if I have what it takes to be a grunt, I know that's probably not where I want to make my career.

Thread Information