3rd 175mm Gun Btry[sp] - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "Long Tom's" was a name for them back in the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    "Long Tom's" was a name for them back in the 50's.
    I guess I fired all 3 of the sp's in my time in the Corps but I liked the 155 the best of them all, Semper Fidelis.

I was in that unit from 1961-62. At that time we were a 155 gun battery.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was in 3rd 175 from 1980 till we re-tubed to 8inch in I think was 1983 and was titled 3rd 8in. The last round was fired off the gun I was on with SSGT Stillwell as the Section Chief and I (CPL ThERIAULT) was the A chief that day. The last round was fired on gun 449er The one they called the (Ghost Gun).

Quint, I remember your name,We were there at the same time. Don't remember many of the gun guy's,Cpl Hancock,SSgt Hunter. I was the CO's driver [Capt Procter and another I can't remember].....GYSGT Cusack.....Do you know of anybody else from "3rd Herd" on here from that time period

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I haven't found any yet.
    Gunny Kusack became 1st sgt. and was in a bad motorcycle wreck and broke his back before I left. He was still saying "If you drink don't drive, and if you drive don't drink!!!" OOOHHH RAHHHHH!!! lol

Quint I remember you. I was Sgt. Hendrick in the FDC. Somewhere I still have the base magazine from when "Big guns fire for the last time"

I remember you Sgt. H. This is collins. Came in 82/83 cant remember. myself, Kuz & Yost, all there within a month. What a shock, long time ago. I have the paper with the Lt. Col getting knocked off the gun by the recoil.

3rd Guns '65 29 Palms... Original mount out to Nam

About the only other guy I've been in touch with is Steve Rayburn, he was an ammo tech we called "half toe" after a trailer became unhitched and cut off a big chunk of his big toe. Oddly enough he is living in China with his newer bride. he's on Facebook.

I lost contact with Kuznia. last time I heard he was in New Jersey. I don't know about Yost. We all rotated to Okinawa and then Kuz seperated at Camp pendelton, Yost & I got stationed back at 29. Yost got out, I stayed in until 89, then recieved a med discharge. Some Pvt. from 3rd tanks blew through a stop sign on base and t-boned me in the driver's door. It tore up the car & me pretty good. That's all I know about anyone.

I joined HQ battery in oct 81, I was a 2841, radio repair. I was farmed out to 3/175mm. i was there when they switched tubes and became 3rd 8in howitzer battery (SP).

We actually had the last of the 175mm guns. They were switched out to 8in tubes in 82 or 83, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerHead View Post
    I remember you Sgt. H. This is collins. Came in 82/83 cant remember. myself, Kuz & Yost, all there within a month. What a shock, long time ago. I have the paper with the Lt. Col getting knocked off the gun by the recoil.
    It wasn't LtCol Palm that was thrown off the gun; it was the Commanding General with a charge 3.

I vividly recall Gunny Hangsleben (SP?) marking an 'X" in the dirt where he thought he'd land, and I was amazed when his butt landed right on the X! Major Schmaltz later teased SSgt (select) Stillwell that he'd be demoted to Private.

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    I was in 3rd 175 from 1980 till we re-tubed to 8inch in I think was 1983 and was titled 3rd 8in. The last round was fired off the gun I was on with SSGT Stillwell as the Section Chief and I (CPL ThERIAULT) was the A chief that day. The last round was fired on gun 449er The one they called the (Ghost Gun).
    Quint:

I know this qualifies as a "Holy thread resurrection, Batman!" type of thing.

This is (former) Corporal Steve Jewell who was on the gun that day as the A-gunner. We were gun number 4, and 5 & 6 were already re-tubed to 8". I was a L/Cpl at the time. Yes, it was 1983 for sure. I remember Stillwell threatening the plug'r about not letting the CG fall of the gun before he did so. I also remember the plug'r reaching for the CG's belt and missing as the CG did a complete flip off the back of the gun and barely missing the tow loop on the top of the spade. For the life of me I can't remember who the plug'r was. I can't remember the name of the Brigadier General who was thrown off the gun either. I called my wife to see if she remembered since she was his preferred waitress/bartender at his O Club functions, but she couldn't remember either.

For the last rounds the unit decided to have the Marine that had been with the unit the longest fire the last round out of gun# 1 which was Corporal Pennington. Major Schmaltz (CO) fired the last round out of gun# 2, LtCol Palm (Battalion CO) fired the last round out of gun# 3, and the CG fired the last round out of gun# 4. He was also supposed to fire the first 8" round out of Gun# 5, but he was dissuaded from doing so after being thrown off our gun. I remember his first words after being helped up off the ground too, "The sum'***** kicks, don't it!?"

Thread Information