3rd 175mm Gun Btry[sp]
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1

    3rd 175mm Gun Btry[sp]

    Looking for anyone that was in 3rd Guns in 29 Palms. I was there 78-81,comm[2531]. Anybody that was with 3rd 155mm/175mm guns I'd like to hear from you. I'd like to find a complete history of the unit. Thanks Cpl Lapthorne


  2. #2
    Marine Free Member ChuckH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Stamford
    Posts
    778
    Credits
    27,111
    Savings
    0
    Images
    1
    I didnt know that the Corps had 175mm guns...


  3. #3

  4. #4
    Marine Free Member ChuckH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Stamford
    Posts
    778
    Credits
    27,111
    Savings
    0
    Images
    1
    I'll be... learn something new every day!
    So would I be correct in the assumption that we didnt have very many 175's?
    I saw alot of Army batterys in Nam...


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    I didnt know that the Corps had 175mm guns...
    I don't know how many btry's we had, 3rd Guns was the last active duty 175mm btry in the Marines. The army had a 8in/175 brty at the time[78-81] 3rd Guns was re-tubed to 3rd 8in[Howitzer] ,same chassis,different tube. 175's could only shoot HE,better range ,8in.can shoot HE,smoke,WP.etc...more accurate,


  6. #6

    3rd Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by R Landry View Post
    Try this link for a start -- good music.

    http://www.12thmarineartilleryregime...Battery-A.html
    I found that site before. Good info. I'm hoping to find a paper,[old school], personal history of the unit or one I can print out. Thank you for the heads up on it tho..................


  7. #7
    Marine Free Member ChuckH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Stamford
    Posts
    778
    Credits
    27,111
    Savings
    0
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CplFly View Post
    I don't know how many btry's we had, 3rd Guns was the last active duty 175mm btry in the Marines. The army had a 8in/175 brty at the time[78-81] 3rd Guns was re-tubed to 3rd 8in[Howitzer] ,same chassis,different tube. 175's could only shoot HE,better range ,8in.can shoot HE,smoke,WP.etc...more accurate,
    When I was in Nam, I was TAD to an ARVN outfit for a couple of months and I stayed at a fire support base Charlie 2 with a battery of Marine 155's sp. There was a battery of ARMY 175's next to them... holy crap, when they had a night fire mission..... geez louise.. they shook everything when they went off.
    Same thing up at Gio Linh. There were 8 in sp's there.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    When I was in Nam, I was TAD to an ARVN outfit for a couple of months and I stayed at a fire support base Charlie 2 with a battery of Marine 155's sp. There was a battery of ARMY 175's next to them... holy crap, when they had a night fire mission..... geez louise.. they shook everything when they went off.
    Same thing up at Gio Linh. There were 8 in sp's there.
    I was a radio operator,so I was up all hours, got used to the guns. Got to fire one once. We got to take a couple out and play with them once. No fo's, we just looked down the tube and" up a little ,to the left,try that[really short range],I got to shoot a round,what a blast!![no pun intended],the hole thing jumps[32 tons],the tube recoiling a foot and a half away from your leg WOW!!


  9. #9
    Here's a Command Chronology from 31 August to 31 August 1970, not your time, but something. More coming.

    http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/star/imag...1201024190.pdf

    Here's more:

    http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/...5mmGunBtry.htm


  10. #10
    3rd Generation Marine


    I was a third generation Marine. My Grandfather in WWI , my Dad in WWII Cpl (1943-1947) and me SSgt (1968-1978)
    I have no info where my Grandfather served.
    Dad served in the South Pacific (43-45) 3rd MarDiv Saipan and Guam and Tenstin, China (45-47) A/1/11 1st MarDiv.
    I served in Vietnam A/1/11 1st MarDiv (69-70)…An Hoa and just south of Hill55, where you were at Sgt Grit.

    PMI Edson Range Camp Pendleton (70-71)
    Marine Security Detachment (Marine Barracks San Diego) at NAS Miramar (71-73)
    L/4/12 Camp Butler and North Camp Fuji Japan (73-74)
    3rd 175mm Gun Btry 1st FSSG Twentynine Palms (74-76)
    Hq 4th MarDiv (G-4 Section Prepositioned War Reserves Chief), Camp Pendleton (76)
    Hq 4th MarDiv New Orleans, La (76-78)

    As you can see I served in the same battery that my Dad served with in China (how scary is that?) A couple of things that happened to Dad also happened to me (quite scary why I think about it).
    As you can see I still proudly fly our flag, even though I am surrounded Army doggies here in Lacey, Washington. It lets them know not to “Mess with the Best”.
    My heart goes out to all who served and currently serves in our beloved Corps.
    Semper Fi
    Doug Barron SSgt 68-78


  11. #11

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by R Landry View Post
    3rd Generation Marine


    I was a third generation Marine. My Grandfather in WWI , my Dad in WWII Cpl (1943-1947) and me SSgt (1968-1978)
    I have no info where my Grandfather served.
    Dad served in the South Pacific (43-45) 3rd MarDiv Saipan and Guam and Tenstin, China (45-47) A/1/11 1st MarDiv.
    I served in Vietnam A/1/11 1st MarDiv (69-70)…An Hoa and just south of Hill55, where you were at Sgt Grit.

    PMI Edson Range Camp Pendleton (70-71)
    Marine Security Detachment (Marine Barracks San Diego) at NAS Miramar (71-73)
    L/4/12 Camp Butler and North Camp Fuji Japan (73-74)
    3rd 175mm Gun Btry 1st FSSG Twentynine Palms (74-76)
    Hq 4th MarDiv (G-4 Section Prepositioned War Reserves Chief), Camp Pendleton (76)
    Hq 4th MarDiv New Orleans, La (76-78)

    As you can see I served in the same battery that my Dad served with in China (how scary is that?) A couple of things that happened to Dad also happened to me (quite scary why I think about it).
    As you can see I still proudly fly our flag, even though I am surrounded Army doggies here in Lacey, Washington. It lets them know not to “Mess with the Best”.
    My heart goes out to all who served and currently serves in our beloved Corps.
    Semper Fi
    Doug Barron SSgt 68-78
    My grandfather was on Saipan. He was a Seabee,he helped build/re-build the airfield there. I live in kent,wa.just down the road. do you know if that surplus place"The Foxhole"[I think] is still open? [south tac,or lakewood?]


  13. #13

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by CplFly View Post
    Looking for anyone that was in 3rd Guns in 29 Palms. I was there 78-81,comm[2531]. Anybody that was with 3rd 155mm/175mm guns I'd like to hear from you. I'd like to find a complete history of the unit. Thanks Cpl Lapthorne
    Served with the First 175 sp in 29 Palms in 1977, Semper Fidelis.


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    I didnt know that the Corps had 175mm guns...
    We use to call them Long Toms, they could reach out and touch someone,lol, Semper Fidelis.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts