What's the deal with POGS?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's the deal with POGS?

I plan to go aircrew. I'm just wondering because I've heard two different perspectives. Do grunts really treat pogs like a piece of sh!t and have no respect towards? Teasing is one thing but I wouldn't understand someone sincerely mocking another Marine because he has different ambitions.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Don't worry about it, every Marine has a job and that job is very important to the Corps.

Infantry is the heart and soul of the Marine Corps but without the support of the wing, cooks, admin, etc. they wouldn't be able to do their job as well as they do.

This is like the argument about which branch is better, harder, or whatever. We all have a job to do and each play a vital role in our nations security.

If you're tired at night from a solid days work, consider yourself worthy of wages and an asset to the Marine Corps or any other outfit.
    If you're not tired, PT until you get that way

Yes some will mock you throughout life. You're not responsible for mean spirited people and their opinion of your occupation.
    Every grunt who doesn't die with their boots on ends up a POG, eventually

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    I like that saying but yes u will be mocked and ridiculed and called a pog forever. I did it the way I felt was I had the hard job freaking combat And pogs just did the 9/5 deal and enjoyed the luxury. Being a grunt and living in the dirt fighting being dirty hungry and all that stuff was a badge of honor to us and we always made sure the pogs knew it. Saying that now it is true we need pogs and I respect them as marines but never would be caught dead hanging out with one hehe. I'd have had more respect for them if they got my pay right and didnt try to njp me for stupid stuff, grunts don't belong conus we belong oconus doing what we do best. Don't let the grunts get to you if u make it you are needed as much as we are.

Dude The pogs you wanna be friends with are supply, motor t, comm, and admin. They can hook you the fvck up. But all the other pogs can go fvck themselves hehe.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was one of those,,despized till some grunts comm didn't work. What say you now, brother? Want it fixed or not?

Personally I wouldn't hang out with a knuckle dragger,,, their ickey.

Being a pogue is more of a state of mind than a particular MOS or billet. Now, some MOS's seem to attract more pogues than others. Just because your are aircrew doesn't mean that you are necessarily a pogue.

Give a Marine a reason think you're a pogue - you'll be treated like one.

That doesn't even make sence.
    POG, Person Other than Grunt. So unless you have 03 in front of your MOS number, then you're a pog.

LOL...better be good kids... in case you have not noticed... CMC is a Naval Aviator. That's right... a POG.

So who is going to run up and tell him he isn't sh!te? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    excuse me? plenty of infantry Marines have come home alive and well yet are still grunts. one's MOS has nothing to do with how one dies

Quote Originally Posted by martinj View Post
    Dude The pogs you wanna be friends with are supply, motor t, comm, and admin. They can hook you the fvck up. But all the other pogs can go fvck themselves hehe.
    Tell that to the airframe mechanic that ensures the CH-46 can actually get in the air when a recon Marine takes a round to the neck and needs an evac.

You can go **** yourself as well; the tip of the spear is useless without the rest of it in support.

Quote Originally Posted by dback13 View Post
    That doesn't even make sence.
    POG, Person Other than Grunt. So unless you have 03 in front of your MOS number, then you're a pog.
    Must be a generational thing - we used to refer to them as "pogues" - also known as "REMFs"

In the lexicon that I grew up with, a Pogue was someone in the rear echelon who had no clue as to what the folks in the field were doing or what life was like "at the front". A pogue was usually identified by signs such as neatly pressed cammies and "spit-shined jungle boots" (now there's an oxymoron). They also usually wore a big-assed knife somewhere on their gear and had plenty of "war-stories". I knew plenty of 03XXs who would qualify as pogues - infantrymen with clean finger nails and with no callusses on their feet - who ate one MRE a day because the chow hall only served "two hots" - and slept in a cot at night - and made daily runs to the PX for "pogey bait" and got bent out of shape when the "auto-dog" ran out of ice cream. I guess it was technically "person on ground with unused equipment" - "on ground" meaning "in-country" - folks that still had all the paint on their e-tools and sterile canteen cups.

There were many non-pogues who were in MOSs other than 03XX -- I would never refer to my corpsman as a pogue - nor my last artillery FO (the one before him, sure, he was a pogue). Same goes for my combat engineers - they were always right there next to us, carrying the same gear - if not more, eating the same chow, sleeping in the same mud, and to a man, they'd kick the crap out of some 03XX REMF who called them a pogue.

"Person Other than Grunt" - huh... New one on me... kind of loses it's meaning, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by IronKnee View Post
    Tell that to the airframe mechanic that ensures the CH-46 can actually get in the air when a recon Marine takes a round to the neck and needs an evac.

You can go **** yourself as well; the tip of the spear is useless without the rest of it in support.
    Brother - I knew a few air crew who weren't pogues (by the definition I give above)... especially those running the MEDEVAC birds. For that matter, I knew a few truck drivers, radio operators, and LSB Marines as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Personally I wouldn't hang out with a knuckle dragger,,, their ickey.
    Back at ya, Sparkie!

We are a little ickey. You can always identify us by the callusses on our knuckles - you sound like a Marine I'd be happy to share a cup of coffee with.

What was it Puller said - "New Breed? Old Breed? So long as it's the Marine Breed!"

Thread Information