College while in DEP?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

College while in DEP?

I've been doing a lot of research, talking to Marines, and met with a recruiter, and I'm planning on joining within a year. I'm 17, a senior, not particularly athletic, and still trying to sort things out, so my recruiter wants me to be in the DEP to prepare. I'm supposed to go to MEPS this next week to "make sure I'm qualified" before starting anything.

Anyways, now after talking to a Marine, the idea has come up that I should do a few college classes this summer to get the 12(?) credits required to get an automatic promotion to PFC. I was wondering if I would stay in the DEP while in college, and determine a ship date once I've gotten all the credits?

I also had a question about MEPS: Even though I'm doing the DEP, will I still be sworn-in, choosing an MOS, and signing a contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon1 View Post
    I've been doing a lot of research, talking to Marines, and met with a recruiter, and I'm planning on joining within a year. I'm 17, a senior, not particularly athletic, and still trying to sort things out, so my recruiter wants me to be in the DEP to prepare. I'm supposed to go to MEPS this next week to "make sure I'm qualified" before starting anything.

Anyways, now after talking to a Marine, the idea has come up that I should do a few college classes this summer to get the 12(?) credits required to get an automatic promotion to PFC. I was wondering if I would stay in the DEP while in college, and determine a ship date once I've gotten all the credits?

I also had a question about MEPS: Even though I'm doing the DEP, will I still be sworn-in, choosing an MOS, and signing a contract?
    You DEP in with an open contract, then you and your recruiter sit down and negotiate a job later depending one what is open and if you want to wait for a specific MOS, you sign that new contract and that nullifies the other one you signed to DEP in. By then you'll have a final date for when you ship to boot camp. You don't sign your final contract until you're at MEPS before you ship. If the one you see before shipping is incorrect, refuse it. Don't let them pressure you into taking something you don't want.

As for PFC, taking college courses will help you if you plan on doing college when you get out. But some will pick up PFC after boot camp by being a squad leader, shooting well, guide, scribe, etc. Most will pick it up within 6 months, so don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muhreen4Lyfe View Post
    You DEP in with an open contract, then you and your recruiter sit down and negotiate a job later depending one what is open and if you want to wait for a specific MOS, you sign that new contract and that nullifies the other one you signed to DEP in. By then you'll have a final date for when you ship to boot camp. You don't sign your final contract until you're at MEPS before you ship. If the one you see before shipping is incorrect, refuse it. Don't let them pressure you into taking something you don't want.

As for PFC, taking college courses will help you if you plan on doing college when you get out. But some will pick up PFC after boot camp by being a squad leader, shooting well, guide, scribe, etc. Most will pick it up within 6 months, so don't worry about it.
    Ya you'll pick up PFC regardless, but if you have time to knock out 12 credits then do it. That promotion will put you 6 months ahead of your peers. You'll pick up lance and corporal before everyone else. Plus it's braggin rights in boot camp to graduate as a PFC. Having no rank upon graduation makes you look like a turd.

It's not the end of the world either way, but definately strive for it. Don't count on getting meritorious PFC in boot camp. There is only about 5 per platoon.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Graduating as a private makes you look like a turd??????

Are you sure it's 12 credits and not 15?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by IronKnee View Post
    Are you sure it's 12 credits and not 15?
    On about.com it says:
    Completed 12 semester hours/18 quarter hours, college level courses with a course number of 100 or greater and attained a minimum grade point average of C+ (2.3 or better on 4.0 scale). College hours do not have to be completed in the same semester or quarter.
    I assumed semester hours = credits?

Indeed. I assumed the amount for contract PFC was the same as required to waive a GED. I stand corrected.

Thread Information