Mos??
Create Post

Thread: Mos??

Mos??

Okay, My shipping date is until March 14 2011 and I wanted infantry as my MOS but there wasnt any spots open for me so i got combat support as my MOS which was my second choice and im just wondering what this job falls under or what do they do, I have tried to look for it online but have not found anything, so if theres any Marine or Poolee that knows
    it would really help
    Thank You

I would say ask a marine but I have a feeling they would tell you to **** off and search the fourm for related posts, search on here and you should find more info, but I had the same thing, when I signed they had me at combat support And thats also how I found this site cause I had no clue what combat support was other than it has to do with tanks. but from what I learned from my reaserch that combat support is a wide field it includes tank crew man (all sorts of tanks), artillery cannoneer (from fireing to aiming to loading as well and maitnence basicly anything to do with the big guns) and last air traffic control (I was told if you dont like planes you wont get this but it basicly is any job you can find on the runway and control tower at an air port). so to further sum up a realy quick explination "if you like big guns you'll like combat support" thats what a marine told me so i thought I'd pass it along

P.S. and I am just asking if they did it for you too, when i was there talking to the liazon he went on the phone talking about jobs with some random person who I have no idea who it was and the convo went like this Liazon "hey I got a kid here looking for infantry as fast as possible do you have any billets" phone guy" No, what else dose he want" liazon "he wants combat i can see it" Phone guy " ummm.... ok, is he smart" "yes" "ok how about A CE dose he want that" liazon to me "you like tanks" me "sure.." liazon to phone guy" ya we'll take it" liazon to me "ok press your finger here for me please" and all of a sudden I was enlisted with combat support, I had no clue I even signed for a job untill they told me I was to take my oath lol

Oh okay thank you, that is what I thought it would be and oh really, what happen to me was that all the jobs got messed up and i ended having a construction MOS but i didnt want it do I ended up exchanging that for combat support, but thank you

Your recruiter is telling the truth. I have been busting my ass trying to get an infantry slot and I keep getting the same answer. So i went to combat support and they told me the same thing. It doesn't make sense I figured the Infantry mos would be the most open since its the biggest right?

One of the recuiters at my RSS said that right now the 03 field is like almost 4000 over capacity and since the War in Iraq is winding down and such the Corps as a whole is scaling back some so it's really hard to get into that field. I think all the contracts for this fiscal year are taken.

Yea, my recruiter said there is no more space for available for infantry, but he also said the best thing to do if i want infantry is go in open contract and the possibility for me to get infantry is higher than just waiting for a spot to open, so maybe ill go open contract and get infantry after i ship.

Quote Originally Posted by vargas99 View Post
    so maybe ill go open contract and get infantry after i ship.
    DO NOT GO OPEN CONTRACT. This means they place you in whatever field they need you in. Most people who make this choice become unhappy Marines. Infantry may be hard to get into but open contract will not make it easier by any means.

Credits
    Savings
    Maybe 10-14% of Marines are Infantry, probably a bit less. I DEP'ed Open then told my recruiter I wanted Infantry. He told me I had it then at a pool function a gunny called and told me that I did indeed have infantry. Of course I am still a bit skeptical as I have not signed any Infantry contracts yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve018 View Post
    DO NOT GO OPEN CONTRACT. This means they place you in whatever field they need you in. Most people who make this choice become unhappy Marines. Infantry may be hard to get into but open contract will not make it easier by any means.

Yea i was still skeptical about going in open so i didnt sign the open contract, but last week i got a call from my recruiter and he said he got me infantry so i was happy, now i cant lose it because i signed the infantry contract . Now I cant leave sooner though, I have to wait till my ship date

i think it also depends what type of infantry you go for i went for the 6 year enlistment infantry and there were about 6 open spots also had 2 or 3 spots for 4 year infantry and 2 for high security infantry

Wow all these poolees seem to be getting infantry so easy, I think i might try going to a different rss. Im not really sure if there actually trying to get me a contract in infantry since i told them I want to ship out as soon as possible since i graduated highschool back in june

Im right there with you johnson i graduated in june also and i was trying to ship sooner but now that i got my MOS they told me, because its infantry i cant ship sooner, I have to wait till march which sucks but at least i got my MOS.

Thread Information