Is Aviation Electronics Technician a good MOS?
Create Post

Is Aviation Electronics Technician a good MOS?

I am a Poolee with a contract for the aviation electronics technician job field. My question is, what is this job like? Any information from Marines with this MOS would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It depends on what level you go. There's I level, or intermediate level, which is working on specific components indoors on work benches. I level is not aircraft specific, meaning you wont only work on F 18 or only Cobra parts, you'll work on parts for multiple aircraft. Then there's O level, or organizational, which is working on the actual aircraft on the flight line. O level is aircraft specific so you will only work on your designated aircraft. Feel free to ask any more questions you got.

S/F

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you go o-level expect shooting wires, troubleshooting, and taking components on and off the aircraft. I'm not an electrician but when there's something wrong with flight control systems they do their stuff and find out which component it is. I hate it when most of the problem they find out that it's airframes and giving us whole bunch of work to do. Lol

Learn to love re-pinning cannon plugs lol, I would shoot my self if I had to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by thediesel713 View Post
    It depends on what level you go. There's I level, or intermediate level, which is working on specific components indoors on work benches. I level is not aircraft specific, meaning you wont only work on F 18 or only Cobra parts, you'll work on parts for multiple aircraft. Then there's O level, or organizational, which is working on the actual aircraft on the flight line. O level is aircraft specific so you will only work on your designated aircraft. Feel free to ask any more questions you got.

S/F
    Thanks for the info. Just one more question. What are my chances of seeing combat? Just curious.

There is a real possibility for all Marines, but it is greatly reduced in the wing since the mission is to keep birds flying.

I was in from 9/18/74 to 9/17/80. I worked both OMA and IMA Avionics. I didn't care much for OMA but I loved IMA. I also went through an Advanced Electronics school before working in the fleet, Advanced First Term Avionics (AFTA). Organizational Maintainence involved working on the Wiring and removing Black boxes to send to IMA. IMA involved troubleshooting equipment on a bench. I was a Search Radar Tech. I worked on Transponders, HF Radios, Altimeters and control boxes. I was stationed in Okinowa 1yr 1st time and 6 months second time. I loved my job and worked with some outstanding Marines. I was in charge (Sgt.) of the 610 IMA shop during the 6 months tour. If you want to do a job that is interesting then Avionics IMA is definitely it. ENJOY, I sure did!

Thread Information