Humor in blue.
Create Post

Thread: Humor in blue.

Humor in blue.

OK, here's one that was going around back in the day, so some of you old farts might remember it.

A Marine was observed to have a peculiar habit of picking up paper from off the ground, give it a once over and discard it after a few seconds muttering, "Nope, not it".

After a year or so of this behavior his company co became concerned. So he sent him to the psych, who, after evaluating him, determined he had a disorder of the obsessive compulsive type. He recommended him for a medical discharge.

After much standing by and hurrying up and waiting, the office pogues finally got things in order for the Marine to be released. After he completed forms 01-999 he was handed his walking paper. Upon which he looked at it and said "Yep, this is it."

It loses something in the printed form.

I remember that one. BTW there is a thread on TL similar to this regarding USMC myths.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No ****e, this is hilarious,
    back in the day,
    being a young cocky know it all ,
    after having just enlisted in the USMC during the fire up of Vietnam,
    we had a guy in boot that had O.C.D.,
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder,
    well we didn't know it for what it was back then,
    and he would move ****e all the time, just a little bit,
    first here then there then back again,
    honest to God this was the funniest **** you ever saw,
    we'd get done scrubbing the squad with them damn brushes
    and he would figgit with the freaking brush on top of his bucket,
    over and over and over and over,
    till you were rolling in the freaking isle laughing your azz off,
    now I know what it is and that is a sickness,
    but honestly if you've ever seen these people,
    they wash their hands 50 times over and over and over and over,
    its like a freaking side show act,
    wow that really brought back the flood of boot for me for sure and for certain.
    Thanks a bunch bro.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No ****e, this is hilarious,
    back in the day,
    being a young cocky know it all ,
    after having just enlisted in the USMC during the fire up of Vietnam,
    we had a guy in boot that had O.C.D.,
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder,
    well we didn't know it for what it was back then,
    and he would move ****e all the time, just a little bit,
    first here then there then back again,
    honest to God this was the funniest **** you ever saw,
    we'd get done scrubbing the squad with them damn brushes
    and he would figgit with the freaking brush on top of his bucket,
    over and over and over and over,
    till you were rolling in the freaking isle laughing your azz off,
    now I know what it is and that is a sickness,
    but honestly if you've ever seen these people,
    they wash their hands 50 times over and over and over and over,
    its like a freaking side show act,
    wow that really brought back the flood of boot for me for sure and for certain.
    Thanks a bunch bro.

Another myth (?). The guy who rode an invisible motorcycle everywhere he went until the day he got his section 8. He rode his bike to the front gate and left it there throwing the invisible keys to the MP on duty saying he could have it since he had no need for it anymore.

Hahaha, had a good laugh. Thanks for the joke.

Yup, I had heard that in the '80's. Still funny I think.

Question Anyone know ?

Had someone ask me where the term "gee-dunk" came from....didn't know for sure, but guessing someone here knows

Not sure leprechaun9544, but like many things in the Marine lexicon I imagine it's a derivitive of some Asiatic slang. Like gung-ho.

Geedunk, Gedunk, Gedonk
    According to the Naval Historical Society: Gedunk refers to ice cream, candy, potato chips, and other snack foods, as well as to the place on a ship where these items are sold. The first known published usage of the term “gedunk” in a non-naval context is in a 1927 comic strip which refers to “gedunk [ice cream] sundaes.” In 1931 it was mentioned in Leatherneck magazine; subsequent early naval usage incluses Robert Joseph Casey's Torpedo Junction: With the Pacific Fleet from Pearl Harbor to Midway (published in 1943); and Robert Olds' Helldiver Squadron: The Story of Carrier Bombing Squadron 17 with Task Force 58 (published in 1944).
    Usage of the pejorative term “gedunk sailor” to refer to an inexperienced sailor apparently dates to 1941, and is mentioned in Theodore C. Mason's Battleship Sailor, published in 1982.
    The origin of the word gedunk is uncertain, though it has been suggested it derives from a Chinese word referring to a place of idleness, or a German word meaning to dunk bread in gravy or coffee.Ice-maker and refrigerated compartments were first introduced on some U.S. Navy ships in 1893, and an ice-cream maker is reported on board USS Missouri (Battleship No. 11, later BB-11) as early as 1906.

The Marines in China before WW II were issued candy (Baby Ruths, Tootsie Rolls, etc.) as part of their their ration supplements. At the time, sugar and other assorted sweets were rare commodities in China and much in demand by the Chinese, so the troops found the candy useful for barter in town.

The Chinese word for prostitute, roughly translated, is "pogey". Thus, Marines being Marines, candy became "Pogey Bait".

Platoon leaders should control the use of pogey-bait and non-issue food.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Palmer View Post
    Geedunk, Gedunk, Gedonk
    According to the Naval Historical Society: Gedunk refers to ice cream, candy, potato chips, and other snack foods, as well as to the place on a ship where these items are sold. The first known published usage of the term “gedunk” in a non-naval context is in a 1927 comic strip which refers to “gedunk [ice cream] sundaes.” In 1931 it was mentioned in Leatherneck magazine; subsequent early naval usage incluses Robert Joseph Casey's Torpedo Junction: With the Pacific Fleet from Pearl Harbor to Midway (published in 1943); and Robert Olds' Helldiver Squadron: The Story of Carrier Bombing Squadron 17 with Task Force 58 (published in 1944).
    Usage of the pejorative term “gedunk sailor” to refer to an inexperienced sailor apparently dates to 1941, and is mentioned in Theodore C. Mason's Battleship Sailor, published in 1982.
    The origin of the word gedunk is uncertain, though it has been suggested it derives from a Chinese word referring to a place of idleness, or a German word meaning to dunk bread in gravy or coffee.Ice-maker and refrigerated compartments were first introduced on some U.S. Navy ships in 1893, and an ice-cream maker is reported on board USS Missouri (Battleship No. 11, later BB-11) as early as 1906.
    Wow Ed ! Thanks much for your research & insight....now I know !

Thread Information