OCS after EAS...
Create Post

OCS after EAS...

Hey all, Sean here.

I did a search but I cant seem to find the answer to my question.

I am planning on enlisting in the United States Marine Corps and I have no doubts about that. My question is: After I get done with my first Enlistment
    (Going intel so it will be five years) I would like to go to college. I also plan on doing some online courses while i am in but thats not the point. After I EAS and get my diploma, what are my chances of going to OCS? Will I go to the bottom of the pile for applicants because I didnt go to ROTC or will I have better chances because of my prior service?
    Any info will be helpful. Thanks for your time.

Sdkmcqueen

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you put in for a PLC package after your first or second year of school being prior service should bump you up to the top of selections. Depending on where you'll be going to school hardly any applicants will be any sort of ROTC.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sdkmcqueen View Post
    Hey all, Sean here.

I am planning on enlisting in the United States Marine Corps and I have no doubts about that. My question is: After I get done with my first Enlistment
    (Going intel so it will be five years) I would like to go to college. I also plan on doing some online courses while i am in but thats not the point. After I EAS and get my diploma, what are my chances of going to OCS? Will I go to the bottom of the pile for applicants because I didnt go to ROTC or will I have better chances because of my prior service?

Sdkmcqueen

Sean

This site will give you some answers.

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

PLC is a good way to go but after 5 years in the Corps forget about ROTC. You'll be 23 or 24 and you'd be lumped in with 18, 19 year olds etc. In fact I'm not even sure you'd be eligible for ROTC.

If you want further info do a search for Marine PLC

Good luck to you

Do you have to do the whole PLC during your first 2 years of college or can you just get a diploma and apply for OCS? Thanks for the replies!!!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Do you have to do the whole PLC during your first 2 years of college or can you just get a diploma and apply for OCS? Thanks for the replies!!!
    yeah you can get your degree first and then apply for OCC (officers candidate course). Being prior service will help you to get selected but OCC is quite a bit more competitive than PLC.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    No you can do PLC in two 6 week sessions during your undergrad summers or one 10 week sessions between your Junior and Senior year. But lets look ahead, after 5 years in the Corps and 4 years of college you'll be pushing 27 or 28 and competing with young, in shape candidates who are 22. Just something to think about.

I think i'll be able to manage. But this whole thing is still 5 years away so I have time to think about it.

Hey all, Sean here.

Sdkmcqueen
    Sdk,

Yes, as others have said, you can go the OCC route and go to OCS after you receive your diploma. You will not go to the bottom of the pile. Your prior service will be to your advantage as an applicant, your fellow candidates at OCS, and fellow lieutenants at TBS. I am at TBS now where there are officers from ROTC, Naval Academy, and regular joes such as myself. No one cares. Other Marines will only judge you by your performance most importantly as a leader. As far as age goes, there are a few in my company over 30. So long as you can meet the standards, that is not an issue. Good luck!

Thread Information