Uniform Brass
Create Post

Thread: Uniform Brass

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Uniform Brass

Hi,

Son presently in Boot, Pariss Island. Missing Christmas and will graduate next month. We've sort of postponed Christmas until he is home on his 10 day leave. I wanted to get him something that he needs for Christmas. My older son suggested getting him the anodized brass for his uniforms.

Andy suggestions as to where and what he needs? Wondering if there is a uniform set that can be purchased?

Thanks
    For the help
    Tom

Anodized brass would be a great gift seeing that it's not issued. You can pick up all of it from any military PX that has a uniform shop for the most part. Mine was given to me the day I graduated, they went to the PX on the air station outside of Parris Island. But either base has them. Surplus stores also carry them in most cases but ensure they are a legit brand and not a knock-off, "Officer's Equipment" is the safest and most common band.

Cover emblems
    Blues emblems and buttons set
    Buckle set

Aside from uniform items, a laptop would be a great investment for him as soon as he's in the fleet and able to have internet in his barracks room. I wouldn't suggest any other major electronics as of yet as when new Marines arrive in the fleet they often change rooms a few times before getting settled in, the last thing a Marine wants is a 55" flat screen and a XBOX to lug around along with all their gear and uniforms.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the info on the brass. I will look into your suggestions.

He can buy his own laptop - I've made his car payments while he has been away. Beside he constantly changes his mind as to what laptop he wants.

lol good to go. If you need any other help let us know.

K-Bar makes a great gift, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Brass for the blues comes in kits. I made the boot mistake of buying the kit for officers.... enlisted brass has more buttons. The tailor on base can button hole the coat for the anodized buttons. Button holing is cutting all of the buttons off then replacing them with an embroidered hole. The anodized brass has a clip behind each buttons so the button goes in the hole then the clip holds it there. I'm making it sound more complicated that it is. Costs about $50 to have it done.

Anyway you can get him the button set and he can use his one time free tailoring voucher to have his blues button holed.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Brass for the blues comes in kits. I made the boot mistake of buying the kit for officers.... enlisted brass has more buttons. The tailor on base can button hole the coat for the anodized buttons. Button holing is cutting all of the buttons off then replacing them with an embroidered hole. The anodized brass has a clip behind each buttons so the button goes in the hole then the clip holds it there. I'm making it sound more complicated that it is. Costs about $50 to have it done.

Anyway you can get him the button set and he can use his one time free tailoring voucher to have his blues button holed.
    Bulkyker,
    thanks for the suggestions.
    I am lookinginto getting the following.

Cover emblems
    Blues emblems and buttons set
    Buckle set - what type of buckle? Found a couple of different ones.

SGT7477: I thought of the Ka-bar but my figured he would not be able to travel with it right now. So that will be a gift idea for another time.

Thanks

Credits
    Savings
    Just wondering if this is all that he would need?

Marine Corps Cap Device - Enlisted Anodized
    Button Set - Marine Corps Enlisted Anodized 12-27L and 6-40L
    Buckle - 2" X 3" Anodized with Emblem
    Buckle and Tip - Anodized Open Face
    Buckle - Slotted Anodized
    Marine Corps Collar Device - Dress Anodized Enlisted

Thanks

You are correct! Don't get him the NCO buckle, looks like you've got the correct one (No EGA on it is right for his rank).

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    You are correct! Don't get him the NCO buckle, looks like you've got the correct one (No EGA on it is right for his rank).

Great, thanks for the info. I knew he couldn't use the one with the wreath on it. But was not 100% sure about the EGA.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 12-26-10 at 05:47 PM.

Yup, the EGA is for Cpl/Sgt.

Most barracks regulations say no knifes with blades longer than 3". Most people wont say anything about a k-bar, but I had to store mine in the armory when I was a LCpl.

Thread Information