Full time civilian job
Create Post

Full time civilian job

I currently have a full time career with a bank and was looking into the Marine Corp Reserves. I searched and was not able to get a definitive answer on one issue. If I leave work for boot camp can my employer terminate me? I understand it would put them in a bad spot if I were to be gone over 3 months for boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot8273 View Post
    I currently have a full time career with a bank and was looking into the Marine Corp Reserves. I searched and was not able to get a definitive answer on one issue. If I leave work for boot camp can my employer terminate me? I understand it would put them in a bad spot if I were to be gone over 3 months for boot camp.
    This has been covered and I do believe that no, they cannot fire you. There's a law, but I can't remember it off hand. Hopefully someone can post it for you.

Not a lot of help, I know, but it's a start. Have you talked to your employer about this? What about a recruiter?

Not only can they not fire you for going to boot camp, but they cannot fire you for any time you miss meeting you're reserve requirements. By the same token, you should give them as much notice as possible, whenever possible.

By law they are not allowed to fire you for training or drill and if you were to be deployed they are required to retain a position for you of equal status to the one you had prior to deployment.

A lot of companies view employees who are in the reserves or guard as annoyances because they basically have to bend over backwards just to keep you around according to federal law. Although what they fail to understand is that by serving in the military we're keeping their greedy asses in business, but who cares about that right?

Anyways, like I said, no they can't fire you for serving in the military, but if they wanted to be aholes about it, they could make up some other stuff to fire you for, in which case you could just sue them. Either way, good luck!

also by the way it will be longer then 3 months you have MOS school also

Quote Originally Posted by awbrown1462 View Post
    Good point. Forgot about that little detail.

Thank you for the information, Iam meeting with a recruiter tomorrow to go over more details. I'm tempted to just go full time.

Quote Originally Posted by awbrown1462 View Post
    Indeed. MCT as well. Also, make sure to account for possible delays in training. I spent two extra months at boot camp due to broken ankles, an extra month at MCT due to training companies being backed up during the holiday season and two extra months at MOS school waiting for a new class to start. In the end I spent a total of ten months from yellow footprints to checking in to my reserve unit even though total training time was only half that long.

See the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act.

Quote Originally Posted by BaloneyFlaps View Post
    Indeed. MCT as well. Also, make sure to account for possible delays in training. I spent two extra months at boot camp due to broken ankles, an extra month at MCT due to training companies being backed up during the holiday season and two extra months at MOS school waiting for a new class to start. In the end I spent a total of ten months from yellow footprints to checking in to my reserve unit even though total training time was only half that long.
    Wow that's good to know. My wife won't like to hear that.

Total time from entering the Pearly Gates at Parris Island to arriving at my first duty station was six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot8273 View Post
    Wow that's good to know. My wife won't like to hear that.
    Yep took me 8 months from the day I left to the day I checked into my reserve station. They try to get reservist in first at MCT and MOS school but its no guarantee.

Thread Information